• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Is WFU vs. FSU a Rivalry Game?

dmcheatw

Reaction score
I think this is an interesting question. What do you all think? Do you consider FSU to be a rival in football?

I think it is but most FSU fans would be hesitant to admit it.

I don't think so, despite being in the same division.

If you asked Wake fans who they considered their top three rivals in football, I'm not sure FSU would crack that list. If you asked FSU fans who they considered their top three rivals, there would be no mention of Wake.

No way. Beating someone 4 out of 6 years after a 30 year drought does not constitute a rivalry.

If you asked Wake fans who they considered their top three rivals in football, I'm not sure FSU would crack that list. If you asked FSU fans who they considered their top three rivals, there would be no mention of Wake.
true on both counts

FSU:
Miami, Florida and Clemson

Wake:
UNC, Duke, NC State

For both teams, I don't think you would even say the forth rivalry game. Wake has Clemson and FSU has the Jefferson–Eppes Trophy with Virginia.

You might get a different answer if you asked a lot of the players.

Wake's been a thorn in FSU's side, no doubt. But like I said before...

Beating someone 4 out of 6 years after a 30 year drought does not constitute a rivalry.

Lots to.dislike about acc expansion, but I do like the "rivalries" the divisions have created. Even if they aren't really rivalries in the truest sense, the games just have an extra meaning. it would be nice to keep that going now that its started... I hope they don't screw with the divisions when Cuse and pitt come aboard.

Nobody considers Wake a rivalry game.

Were we to continue to play Vandy the last game each season that would have rival potential. Pretty good chance that in many years one and sometimes both teams would be looking to this as a 6th win for bowl eligibility.

Only if Wake considers us one and it seems like everyone does by the celebration that typically ensues after beating us. If FSU considered WF a rival, they wouldn't sleep on them and take them lightly every year. They certainly wouldn't start their 2nd string qb when their starter was perfectly healthy to start.

Miami and UF are our rivals. If we had an ACC rival other than UM, it would be Clemson based on our recruiting battles and games in the 80s.

Most of the FSU fans I know pretty much consider WF their 2nd favorite if they had a 2nd fav.

It's a personal rivalry for me because my parents went there, I grew up a huge FSU fan, and a number of my friends are FSU alums.

Same way that personally, UVA is a rivalry game despite playing once every four years... stupid expansion.

Back