• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

islam

Sure, Christianity and Islam are different in some respects...but they are the same in the most important respect, that they are both made up.

This is a good post, although I think that Mohammed was probably historically a real guy, Jesus is 100% fictional.

This is a good post, although I think that Mohammed was probably historically a real guy, Jesus is 100% fictional.

Yeah, but Mohammed and Jesus are not equivalent. Mohammed is more akin to Peter or Paul in Christianity...Mohammed him self is not a deity to my knowledge.

The person of Jesus is fictional?

I'm not talking about him being the Son of God or immortal or anything else.

Your statement says there wasn't a person named Jesus. Is that what you mean?

The person of Jesus is fictional?

I'm not talking about him being the Son of God or immortal or anything else.

Your statement says there wasn't a person named Jesus. Is that what you mean?

Whether or not he is a real person is irrelevant, since everything important thing we know about him is fictionalized.

Whether or not he is a real person is irrelevant, since everything important thing we know about him is fictionalized.

Not necessarily fictionalized. More likely allegorized.

This is where you need your theology, birdman!!

Biblical exegesis comes in four modes: literal or historical, allegorical, anagogical, and tropological.

Not necessarily fictionalized. More likely allegorized.

This is where you need your theology, birdman!!

Biblical exegesis comes in four modes: literal or historical, allegorical, anagogical, and tropological.

— Northrop Frye. “The Great Code” with 4 essays from “Anatomy of Criticism” as backdrop

If we are to conclude that Jesus Christ was a fiction then we’d be forced to throw out the entire body of Greek and Roman works..for there exists more evidence for the life of Christ than all the ancient poets, playwrights and philosophers combined.

It's ironic that a former Baptist school produces so many pagans. Most of you will suffer with your Muslim brothers and sisters in the lake of fire.

It's ironic that a former Baptist school produces so many pagans. Most of you will suffer with your Muslim brothers and sisters in the lake of fire.

LOL. I'm not a Pagan, I'm an atheist. I'm not worried, there is no such thing as a lake of fire and if there were, my sensory neurons will be dead and I'll be unable to perceive temperature. Nice all-powerful god of love you have there, though. Sounds more like an insecure narcissist to me. Good luck.

Which is why Jews and others don't believe in Hell, well other than MS and NJ.

LOL. I'm not a Pagan, I'm an atheist. I'm not worried, there is no such thing as a lake of fire and if there were, my sensory neurons will be dead and I'll be unable to perceive temperature. Nice all-powerful god of love you have there, though. Sounds more like an insecure narcissist to me. Good luck.

Why are you arguing with a parody?

Which is why Jews and others don't believe in Hell, well other than MS and NJ.

The Jewish mystics described a spiritual place called “Gehinnom.” This is usually translated as “Hell,” but a better translation would be “the Supernal Washing Machine.” Because that’s exactly how it works. The way our soul is cleansed in Gehinnom is similar to the way our clothes are cleansed in a washing machine.

Sort of Spray and Wash for the Ego and Id. The complete dissolution of any personal identity - which, if you thought about it, might be “hellish” for a time. As it would mean the annihilation of any personal characteristics of life and thereby leave a tabula rasa over which another temporal being is recast.

It may not suit the temperment of the “modern” but it still carries a Mythic resonance.

Back