• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Israel Attacked and its Response

it is

check out Theodor Herzl

ETA: You could charitably describe it as an ethnonationalist version of Manifest Destiny. What's also notable is that Zionism predates the Holocaust and a lot of the anti-Semitic brutality in eastern Europe and western Russia. When Zionism was coalescing as an ethnonationalist ideology, there were alternative models of co-existence between Jews and Palestinians in British-occupied Palestine.
i had no idea that Jews carried out bombings on British soldiers/garrisons until I read Benny Morris' 1948. i know i've referenced it on this thread but it's a must read imo.

i thought it was just "israel should exist as a state for jews" but is it some sort of ultranationalist/expanionist idea?
Yes, but it’s distinctly ethnic-religious nationalism. They believe that the geographic entirety of historic Israel is reserved for Jewish people to the exclusion of all others, and its opportunistically expansionist as you said.

You people should really go see Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat to better understand Israel.

feels like a lot of the frat-driven counter-protesting has further moved the sphere of discussion from israel-palestine as the american flag has become a big symbolic issue in a lot of these responses

it's become a its own sub-thing pretty divorced from any support or criticism of Israel

feels like a lot of the frat-driven counter-protesting has further moved the sphere of discussion from israel-palestine as the american flag has become a big symbolic issue in a lot of these responses

it's become a its own sub-thing pretty divorced from any support or criticism of Israel
MAKES YOU WONDER

arne duncan standing with the pro-palestenian students on UofC campus

i'm surprised

The frat thing seems like it’s low hanging entertainment. You essentially have the backing of the administration and free rein to be an asshole. Throw in that the majority of people protesting don’t exactly fall into the stereotypical mainstream popular communities and it’s a target rich environment.

i don't buy this hyper macho flag defense as genuine patriotism for one second

i think there may be a handful of true believers, but the rest are participating in the same in-crowd validation-seeking behavior many accuse the pro-palestinian protestors of
Probably. But I would personally take issue with a group trying to replace our flag with the flag of another country, be it Israel or Palestine.

Probably. But I would personally take issue with a group trying to replace our flag with the flag of another country, be it Israel or Palestine.
Maybe I just lack patriotism, but I don’t really get why people feel the way you do.

I don’t read such an action as a statement that the protestor would side with the other country over the US in a direct conflict or something. Just that the protester believes the US has been ethically in the wrong and that has led to a need to stand up for people of the other country.

Not that I’d ever protest in such a manner, but moreso because I know too many people would have a reaction like yours and it would therefore distract from the point of the protest.

Maybe I just lack patriotism, but I don’t really get why people feel the way you do.

I don’t read such an action as a statement that the protestor would side with the other country over the US in a direct conflict or something. Just that the protester believes the US has been ethically in the wrong and that has led to a need to stand up for people of the other country.

Not that I’d ever protest in such a manner, but moreso because I know too many people would have a reaction like yours and it would therefore distract from the point of the protest.
I agree with you on the symbology of the flag

my suspicion is that age is a factor in the importance of flag as symbol of certain values vs. flag as symbol of...something else

For the record, I am anti-American. I don’t hide it.

Doesn't hate America you say?

The flag frat party fund is now over $500k. Why do I get the feeling these guys are not prepared for the people that are going to show up for this thing.

Back