• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Israel Attacked and its Response

when i first loaded it the X/tweet wasn't loading and i though it was amusing and then JANET ruined it

I happen to be listening to Episode 8 of Blowback Season 4 about the war in Afghanistan. This episode is about the military and CIA prisons. This is providing a fun background for our conversation.

Real “why America can’t afford universal healthcare” hours from Yellen

I’ve been enjoying the dark Tiktoks with videos of America’s military and the Middle East is about to be reminded again why we don’t have universal healthcare videos.

There’s been a lot of comparisons drawn in the media between Hamas’ attack on Israel and 9/11, and I wonder if that has something to do with my perspective. When 9/11 happened, I was scared and horrified and appalled as a middle school kid. I never felt the real Islamophobia inside but knew very well that standing up and saying “hey maybe not all Muslims are bad” would have made someone a target — we are supposed to be patriots after all.

Then I saw years of endless wars, countless dead, war crimes and invading a country that had nothing to do with 9/11. I had military friends whose job was to go into places in Afghanistan that were bombed and piece together bodies so the nightly news would have a number of dead to report. To me, those annihilated apartment buildings in Gaza look as bloody as the ppl people killed at the music festival. I look back on our 9/11 response and wonder what was actually accomplished? And as an American, what was done represents me to the world whether I agree or not.

I’m personally against all violence and war, and what I saw in that first Hamas attack was indeed horrifying and not something I would seek to justify. But I think there is value in seeking to understand what would drive a “terrorist” to do what they do, in the same way you might wonder why “rioters” would burn down locally owned businesses on main street a couple summers back. It’s not the irrational bloodlust that people portray it as. It is brutal and it is morally wrong (imo), but how does the cycle ever end if we only condemn and retaliate?

I’m not a very sophisticated political thinker but that’s how I’ve arrived at mostly agreeing with the general tone of the thread so far.

Edit: ok I’m done editing

Last edited:
maybe I’m not up to date on the conflict in Israel - are Israelis being killed now? I haven’t heard about any rocket fire into Israel for the last 4-5 days and It was my understanding that the Hamas militants who survived and escaped had all retreated back to Gaza.

So joining the IDF now is serving what purpose?

I think there’s still a slow trickle of Israeli hostages being killed but apparently looking to do a 300 for 6000 swap.

well I wish Taylor’s Swift’s bodyguard luck, maybe he’ll get to shoot a mortar at a caravan or something cool that will really keep Israel safe.

well I wish Taylor’s Swift’s bodyguard luck, maybe he’ll get to shoot a mortar at a caravan or something cool that will really keep Israel safe.
I don't think that's fair. you know nothing about the guy. Maybe he has his own very legit reasons for feeling compelled to join up with the IDF. Just as you do in driving a lot of conversation on this thread.

Why do we have to assume the worst of everyone?

Why the fuck would I see an air force bombing a tiny strip of land back to the stone age and think “they need my help”.

Be completely honest - you would have no judgement for a Palestinian rushing back home to join Hamas? Or is that not a fair analogy?
To be completely honest, I'm still processing my thoughts about Hamas. Legit org vs terrorist organization. But no i don't think i would judge it...assuming i'd resolved that aspect of it.
And yeah i get that one could view the IDF no differently than Hamas. I'm not there, but acknowledge the reasonable discussion on that.

Why the fuck would I see an air force bombing a tiny strip of land back to the stone age and think “they need my help”.
I will say that, at 23 years old on 9/12/2001 when I was living in NC and couldn’t get in touch with my parents in New York where my dad worked across the street from the WTC…the thought occurred to me that if he was dead I’d probably quit grad school and join the army. These things can be traumatic and spark reactions that are not rational.

“Isn't it amazing how
Everyone's crazy about
Violence they can't conceive…”

Back