• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Israel Attacked and its Response

So war crimes, genocide, are not sufficient to call for a ceasefire?

I think there is a difference between Hamas and the Palestinian people. I've also opined that Netanyahu is evil, and I think he should be removed and jailed. I just don't think Israel should be prevented from defeating Hamas.

Ridiculous. I support Israel's right to declare war against a terrorist organization who's stated goal is the genocide of the Israeli people. I also support holding them accountable for the war crimes they have openly and obviously committed over the last six months.
FIFY.

Impunity implies there haven’t already been consequences…
Which is exactly what many Hamas leaders would get. Unfortunately, the bulk of the consequences have been experienced by the wrong people.

This is not what I ever said.

I suppose not but “I support holding Israel accountable” sounds like “thoughts and prayers” when the rest of your posts are calls for no ceasefire and it’s apparent to you what Israel’s attacks are going to do primarily to civilians

Which is exactly what many Hamas leaders would get. Unfortunately, the bulk of the consequences have been experienced by the wrong people.
What? So in order to make sure the leaders are punished, they have to keep killing civilians?

I suppose not but “I support holding Israel accountable” sounds like “thoughts and prayers” when the rest of your posts are call for no ceasefire and it’s apparent what Israel’s attacks are going to do civilians
No. I absolutely think anyone responsible for war crimes should be punished and the US should treat Palestine and Israel equally on that front.
What? So in order to make sure the leaders are punished, they have to keep killing civilians?
No. Hamas and Palestinian civilians are different groups. You can continue a war against Hamas while discontinuing practices that harm civilians. I thought that was obvious but maybe I needed to spell it out for certain people.

I’ve always felt like the media calling this a “war against Hamas” was propagandist. It’s a war against Palestinians.

I’ve always felt like the media calling this a “war against Hamas” was propagandist. It’s a war against Palestinians.
I do not assume that every Palestinian is a genocidal lunatic like those who lead Hamas. I think it's important to acknowledge that they aren't the same.

No. I absolutely think anyone responsible for war crimes should be punished and the US should treat Palestine and Israel equally on that front.

No. Hamas and Palestinian civilians are different groups. You can continue a war against Hamas while discontinuing practices that harm civilians. I thought that was obvious but maybe I needed to spell it out for certain people.

To be honest it was not obvious until you clarified so thank you for clarifying.

So if israel doesn’t seem like they’re willing to stop those practices doesnt a ceasefire at least help work towards a solution that does stop them? Idk why the hostility towards a ceasefire?

I do not assume that every Palestinian is a genocidal lunatic like those who lead Hamas. I think it's important to acknowledge that they aren't the same.
You are naively assuming that Israel’s only motive is to kill Hamas. Against all evidence.

To be honest it was not obvious until you clarified so thank you for clarifying.

So if israel doesn’t seem like they’re willing to stop those practices doesnt a ceasefire at least help work towards a solution that does stop them? Idk why the hostility towards a ceasefire?
Maybe it depends on your definition of ceasefire. I do not think Israel should be prevented from defeating Hamas. I think they should be held accountable for war crimes. I assure you these are not mutually exclusive concepts.

You are naively assuming that Israel’s only motive is to kill Hamas. Against all evidence.
No. I think defeating Hamas is Israel's only legitimate motive though. And anyone using this tragedy to inflict suffering on civilians is evil and should be in prison.

I don't know what defeating Hamas looks like. I also don't really believe that this is Israel's real goal, but rather a proffered goal when the actual aims are just eliminating Palestine as a state through whatever means they see fit

Back