• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Israel Attacked and its Response

We were discussing "impunity," the opposite of which are "consequences." It's a stupid attempt to score a stupid point when that's quite clearly not what I was doing.

We were discussing "impunity," the opposite of which are "consequences." It's a stupid attempt to score a stupid point when that's quite clearly not what I was doing.

Every post you have made on this thread seems oriented towards a stupid attempt at scoring a stupid point. It’s even stupider because you don’t seem to know the history of Hamas, and how central Israel has been to its rise in influence in the region.

But let’s move beyond stupidity and talk about something real.

What do you think about Netanyahu’s planned attack on Rafah?

Entertaining this notion that it’s possibly to “destroy Hamas”, if it requires killing and maiming thousands of civilians and destroying the state of Palestine, then Hamas shouldn’t be destroyed. This isn’t difficult calculus. Israeli lives are not more valuable than Palestinian lives, and Israeli safety does not supercede the existence of Palestine. If Palestinians and Israelis can’t coexist in the space then neither of them should be there.

Calling for a ceasefire after a terrorist group launches a coordinated attack on civilians, including the intentional murder of children, raping of women, and taking of hostages, while also killing about 35 US citizens, seems like giving the terrorist organization cover. It's pretty ridiculous actually.
(Most) People started calling for a cease fire after Israel retaliated by killing 30x the number that Hamas killed in October. Israel had the higher ground here for the first month or so but holy shit did they go too far.

I think there is a difference between Hamas and the Palestinian people. I've also opined that Netanyahu is evil, and I think he should be removed and jailed. I just don't think Israel should be prevented from defeating Hamas.
What does "defeating Hamas" look like?

Every post you have made on this thread seems oriented towards a stupid attempt at scoring a stupid point. It’s even stupider because you don’t seem to know the history of Hamas, and how central Israel has been to its rise in influence in the region.

But let’s move beyond stupidity and talk about something real.

What do you think about Netanyahu’s planned attack on Rafah?
We don’t have the same opinion so your explanation is that I don’t understand the history as well as you. What a clown shoes comment.

We don’t have the same opinion so your explanation is that I don’t understand the history as well as you. What a clown shoes comment.

Well, you don’t and it shows.

Were you ever in debate club?

Spare us the long drawn out drama of starving yourself to death and just set yourself on fire.

It's a horrible situation and Israel should be held accountable. But calling for a ceasefire in the war against Hamas just means they can attack with impunity.
I see, although I don’t agree, I understand

So the solution is something like persuasion to get Israel to stop and a punishment for war crimes after?

never mind, caught up on the thread

I just think that the actual on-the-ground consequences for civilians outweigh the principle of “letting hamas off the hook”

I also don’t understand a ceasefire to mean the pursuit of the perpetrators of October 7 is over

I see, although I don’t agree, I understand

So the solution is something like persuasion to get Israel to stop and a punishment for war crimes after?
I would like to see severe consequences for war crimes while also allowing Israel to carry out their war against Hamas, which I believe is legitimate. What specifically is controversial about that?

. If Palestinians and Israelis can’t coexist in the space then neither of them should be there.
Well, it seems they can’t. Should someone ask them both to leave?

I disagree that Israel’s safety doesn’t supersede Palestine’s right to exist. Equally, I think Palestine’s safety supersedes Israel’s right to exist. I value humans over Nations.

I would like to see severe consequences for war crimes while also allowing Israel to carry out their war against Hamas, which I believe is legitimate. What specifically is controversial about that?
to me,

1. in actual real life I have a hard time believing anyone with Israel/IDF will ever be tried for war crimes

2. the way they are currently carrying out war against Hamas has resulted in 30k deaths, half of which are children -- the collateral damage it too high for me to think it is okay to continue -- this doesn't even begin to account for injuries, destroyed homes, displacement of people, and so on

3. My intuition is that Israel is using this moment to do more than just pursue Hamas -- I think the leadership has designs on taking over all of Palestine as Israeli land

the controversy is in the method, which is scorched earth

I honestly have not heard anything about Israel speaking to a strategy that does not involve displacing millions of people and killing thousands -- have you?

what is the tipping point in deaths that would change your support for letting Israel pursue Hamas and dealing with the consequences later (via international court or whatever)?

It means Hamas, a terrorist organization with the stated goal of committing genocide, is not in power any longer.

Seems like a political goal. How does bombing civilians help achieve that goal?

Back