• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

It's a Great Month to See a Movie

myDeaconmyhand

First man to get a team of horses up Bear Mountain
Reaction score
Multiple good-great movies just released to theaters, or being released in the next few weeks:

Mud: 98% on Rotten Tomatoes
Matt McConaughey as a fugitive who needs help from two young boys to evade bounty hunters and reunite with his love

Iron Man 3: 86% on Rotten Tomatoes
When Tony Stark's world is torn apart by a formidable terrorist called the Mandarin, he starts an odyssey of rebuilding and retribution.

Pain and Gain: 48% on Rotten Tomatoes (whatever, it's awesome)
Mark Walhberg & the Rock in a true story play two idiot weightlifters in Miami who fail miserably, painfully, and hilariously at a con scheme

The Place Beyond The Pines: 80% on Rotten Tomatoes
Ryan Gosling plays a motorcycle stunt rider turned to robbing banks to provide for his lover and newborn child, which puts him on a collision course with Bradley Cooper, an ambitious rookie cop navigating a department ruled by a corrupt detective.

The Iceman: 77% on Rotten Tomatoes
Played by Michael Shannon, The true story of Richard Kuklinski, a notorious contract killer and family man. When finally arrested in 1986, neither his wife nor daughters had any clue about his real profession.

42 (Story of Jackie Robinson): 76% on Rotten Tomatoes
The life story of Jackie Robinson and his history-making signing with the Brooklyn Dodgers under the guidance of team executive Branch Rickey.

The Great Gatsby (Wide Release May 10th)
Starring Leo DiCaprio, Carey Mulligan, Toby Macguire: A Midwestern war veteran finds himself drawn to the past and lifestyle of his millionaire neighbor.

Star Trek Into Darkness (Wide Release May 17th): 100% so far on Rotten Tomatoes
After the crew of the Enterprise find an unstoppable force of terror from within their own organization, Captain Kirk (played by Chris Pine) leads a manhunt to a war-zone world to capture a one man weapon of mass destruction.

Fast & The Furious 6 (Wide Release May 24th)
you never had me, you never had your car...6

The Hangover part III (Wide Release May 24th)
This time, there's no wedding. No bachelor party. What could go wrong, right? But when the Wolfpack hits the road, all bets are off.

Now You See Me (Wide Release May 31st)
Starring Jesse Eisenberg, Morgan Freeman, Mark Ruffalo: FBI agents track a team of illusionists who pull off bank heists during their performances and reward their audiences with the money.

Last edited:
I really want to see Mud. Heard a little about it on the radio since the director went to NC School of the Arts.

I saw Mud a couple of weeks ago at RiverRun and it is really good. I'd recommend that anyone who is considering going should go.

Now You See Me could be good. Everything else is meh. I'll wait for blu-ray for 42, Iron Man, and Star Trek. There's no chance that Hangover 3 will be anything but atrocious

Saw "Mud" a few days ago in DC. I have some minor quibbles with it (they didn't spend enough time on Witherspoon's character, for instance), but definitely recommend it overall.

If you're feeling down, don't go see Place beyond the Pines.

Heard McConaughey on Fresh Air talking about Mud. Definitely seemed like an interesting movie.

Thanks for putting together the list. Pos rep.

If you're feeling down, don't go see Place beyond the Pines.

I was going to go see it Sunday night then watch Mad Men.

Bad idea?

Now You See Me could be good. Everything else is meh. I'll wait for blu-ray for 42, Iron Man, and Star Trek. There's no chance that Hangover 3 will be anything but atrocious

agree to disagree, these are some of the best movies coming out this year.

I was going to go see it Sunday night then watch Mad Men.

Bad idea?

Bahahaha, I hope you're not serious but if you are, I'd have chocolate and a blow job waiting for you at home.

Can't wait to see Mud, I loved Take Shelter. Place Beyond the Pines is one of the more ambitious American films I've seen in quite some time, but ultimately I don't think it's as profound as it thinks it is. Shane Black doing IM3 assures I'll go see it.

Bahahaha, I hope you're not serious but if you are, I'd have chocolate and a blow job waiting for you at home.

Saw it last weekend and I agree. It's a movie that never really let's you feel good. Great acting, cinematography, etc., but damn it's heavy. Eva Mendez, at the beginning of the movie at least, is delicious.

I'm really looking forward to seeing The Iceman. I read "The Ice Man: Confessions of a Mafia Contract Killer" and Richard Kuklinski sends chills down my spine. I watched his HBO interviews as well and can't take my eyes off of him. I can still hear that "clicking" noise he would make with his mouth when he felt his inner rage building up.

Definitely joking. Great answer.

I really like the tag line used for "Gatsby"

what an interesting summary of the story

It's interesting to me that Amitabh Bachchan gets no attribution in the Gatsby trailer at all and one could argue he's the biggest star in the movie. No he's not known in the US, except as the big star everyone was going gaga over in the scene where the boy fell in the poop in "Slumdog Millionaire". In the Gatsby trailer, he's the guy sitting at the table with Tobey. In India, where they love their movie stars, he's by far the most popular.

‏@GSElevator 27 Apr #1: 'The Great Gatsby' looks like a two hour Heineken commercial.

All of those look like they have potential, except F&F 6....

So why the hell do they all wait for May/summer to release? One of these released in February or March against a bunch of shitkickers would dominate....

Back