• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

it's a small world stories

DeacHoops

Reaction score
a friend of mine is currently in uganda for a couple of weeks, and randomly ran into another friend (who now lives there) while there. it made me start thinking of all of those "it's a small world" stories. i'd like to hear y'all's.

i have a couple. i used to live/work in the dominican republic. one summer, a group of us had traveled to another town to do some touristy stuff, and were at a whitewater rafting place. i looked up from my breakfast, saw a familiar face, and kept eating. i just wasn't thinking at all and just figured familiar face = someone from our group. but then i had a nagging feeling, looked up again, and realized it was a friend of mine from wake. he was studying in the DR that summer, and i knew that he was there, but the town he lived in wasn't even close to the town where the whitewater place was. totally random that both of us were in a town that wasn't where we were supposed to be, and we show up at the same place.

the other one involves my older brother. we lived in texas for a couple of years when i was young. my older brother was in sixth grade when we moved back to charlotte for good. his best friend from when we lived in texas ended up going to wake. my brother went to duke. they hadn't seen each other since sixth grade, when my bro was 12. my brother was studying abroad one summer in spain, and was at a bullfight. hears somebody call his name. turns around to find his best friend from when he was 12 standing there.

so those are my two best ones. anybody else have good ones?

I once bumped into someone from high school in a beer hall at Oktoberfest. Bizarre to say the least.

Townie and a few other chat threaders know a kid I was friends with in like first grade...he wrote some sort of infamous frat letter or something?

Townie and a few other chat threaders also know my friend's gf that I'm meeting on Friday, she went to Tabor (and then USC, he went to VMI and now is doing the military thing)

I'm in a national call center and got a call from a name I recognized...he is a real estate agent that has an office a mile from my childhood home next to my bank in the same shopping center.

I got off a plane in Salt Lake City and within two minutes ran into a high school friend who was rushing to catch a plane home, he and his mom were skiing out there.

Just this past weekend I was walking around Harvard Stadium and looked on facebook and saw the girl two lockers down from me from 6th-12th grade was up there for the MLL All-Star game, didn't see her though.

More coincidental but my roommate moved out after the fall semester soph year and I got a random for the spring...turned out it was a kid I played baseball with in high school who was a year younger.

(slow day at work :noidea: )

I travelled around Europe for a while after I graduated and for the most part stayed in Hostels. I stayed in this one hostel in Paris and there were these two girls in my room (4 person room, only three of us) I befriended them and we hung out for the 3 days I was in Paris. After Paris we parted ways and a few weeks later I was in Venice go into a my, I walk into another 4 person room, lo and behold, there are the same two girls who I hung out with in Paris. I guess it's not super unusual to run into some of the same people while backpacking, but to be in the same room, twice is pretty weird.

Last edited:
My brother lived in Atlanta, and my sister was on the west coast. He goes out to visit her and is meeting up with them at a group dinner. When he shows up, he sees one of his friends who had moved from Atlanta a couple years before. It turns out this guy had met my sister and her husband out there and become friends with them totally independent of having been friends with my brother in Atlanta a couple years before that. He shows up and is like 'Greg wtf are you doing here' and the the dude is like, 'woah, how do you know Jill?' Crazy coincidence.

Last edited:
I travelled around Europe for a while after I graduated and for the most part stayed in Hostels. I stayed in this one hostel in Paris and there were these two girls in my room (4 person room, only three of us) I befriended them and we hung out for the 3 days I was in Paris. After Paris we parted ways and a few weeks later I was in Venice go into a my, I walk into another 4 person room, lo and behold, there are the same two girls who I hung out with in Paris. I guess it's not super unusual to run into some of the same people while backpacking, but to be in the same room, twice is pretty weird.

Segue to a story of three-way....?

While in college at Wake, I had a big crush on a UNC chick who eventually became my wife. At the time, however, she was seeing a guy who was a cadet at the Naval Academy and I was seeing a Wake chick.

One night I was talking to the Wake chick and her roommate and they were talking about a recent visit to DC to visit a friend of the roommate. It turns out that the friend they visited was the Navy guy, who was apparently hitting on my Wake chick. Very weird.

1297 & I were driving up to MD a year or so ago and stopped for dinner at a Cracker Barrel in Chester, VA. While we were waiting for our food, we were checking FB on our phones & he commented that a HS friend of his had checked in at a Cracker Barrel in Virginia. Then he looked up & to his right and that friend, who he hadn't seen since HS graduation, was sitting with his wife & kids 2 tables over from us. They had a nice little reunion right there in Cracker Barrel. :)

Segue to a story of three-way....?

Unfortunately no....one of them was pretty hot and the other was acceptable, but the opportunity never presented itself. Made out with the hotter one in Venice, but we were both plastered and the other friend was in mother hen mode...I was too drunk to care

I've only had one legitimate shot (and probably won't get another because I'm not the one to actively pursue one) at a 3 way and it was ruined by an alarm clock....I posted the story on the "awkward hookup" thread

Last edited:
I was down in Hilton Head a few weeks ago and got to talking to a bartender at one of the golf clubs. He was originally from the Bronx, and after talking we realized that we had lived on the same block, but he had moved upstate prior to my parents buying the house. The town he moved to happened to be the same town that my dad's brother lived ... and they apparently lived on the same block, and he knew my uncle well.

I don't know if that counts as a small world story that you're looking for, but I thought it was strange that the two streets he lived on were my street and my uncle's.

I was in San Francisco a few years ago watching the seals at Fisherman's Wharf when this fetching little lassie caught my eye. I sat and stared at her for hours, trying to make eye contact, barking at her, until the cops came and told me to move along.

Fast forward to this spring when I'm hanging out on the seal beach in La Jolla and lo and behold, there she was again. I know you think all seals look alike and there's no way I could tell for sure it was her, but it was. Sometimes you just have that connection, a feeling of sympatico. I don't know how she got there, but I can only imagine that it was fate that brought us together on those two occasions.

I'm from NC and the summer after 5th grade my fam went to Disney World. We sit down in the Tiki Room and the kid sitting next to me is the same kid that sat next to me for all of 5th grade.

Giudecca FTW!

ah, some of your stories have reminded me of another of mine:

in charlotte, the guy that was my prom date my junior year (his senior year) and i had gone to school together when we were in kindergarten/first grade...in dallas, TX.

Went on a trip to Italy after graduating high school. In Florence, was walking the the Piazza Santa Croce during a concert and ran into my high school principal, who was there with his family. I stood there with an exasperated look for about 30 seconds before I said anything to him.

I mention this one on every thread we've had like this but I doubt I'll ever top it.

Three straight years on July 4th in DC, my friends and I ran into the same grad school acquaintance completely unplanned. Once on the Mall, once in Adams Morgan the night before, and once on the metro after the fireworks. Minutes before the last one we ran into a girl my buddy had hooked up with 2 months before after a party.

I've got a couple good ones- will post when I get home today.

A couple years ago I moved into a friend's house. I knew a coworker of mine lived in the same general area, so I mentioned I was living closer to her now. She asked where and as I was trying to remember the street name I was listing the other neighborhood roads on the way in, and she stopped me "please don't tell me it's Creek Drive," which it was. Turns out I was living in my coworker's old house, they had moved about a mile away to a custom built home a few years prior.

Back