• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

it's a small world stories

i have a few of these:

On a family vacation in Bermuda I ran into the family of my 4th grade BFF who had moved away ten years prior at a happy hour at a random restaurant in a non-touristy part of the island.

My family turned out to be on the same cruise (that left from Miami-- we live in NC) as one of our neighbors.

A girl I became good friends with during study abroad in London was childhood BFF's with one of my WFU roommates

I went to Duke's tennis camp in middle school and stayed in the most disgusting looking old dorm room on Duke's campus. My mom came with me to move me in so my dad (who is a Duke alum) didn't see the dorm until he and my mom came to pick me up after the week. Turns out it was his soph-year dorm room.

At Wake, I was going to see my buddy Ace. He was late. One of his suitemates, Burger, asked me where I was from.

I said,"Just outside Philly."

"What town?"

"Havertown."

"what street?"

WTF? It so happens he used to live around the corner from me.

oh and here's one more... maybe not so much a "small world" story but definitely just strange.

freshman year at wake I lived in a suite with 3 girls all named Kristen. All 4 of us were born within a week of each other, and the 2 roommates who lived in the adjacent room had the same birthday.

At Wake, I was going to see my buddy Ace. He was late. One of his suitemates, Burger, asked me where I was from.

I said,"Just outside Philly."

"What town?"

"Havertown."

"what street?"

WTF? It so happens he used to live around the corner from me.

similarly, i grew up on a little cul-de-sac. anybody from outside the neighborhood isn't familiar with the street name, because there's only like 10 houses on it. so i usually describe it as "near myers park high school" and that's usually good enough for people. when i was going through recruiting for my accounting internship, i got started talking to one of the guys from one of the firms. he asks where i lived. i gave my usual vague answer, and he goes "me too. where exactly are you from." so i got one step more specific, and he kept pushing for even more specifics. turns out he grew up like 3 houses down from me. my mom was really good friends with his mom.

I was in the Reading, PA area for the July 4th weekend and I decided to go to a Reading Phillies game on a Sunday night. I was wearing a WF football t-shirt (just the WF logo, not spelled out). Walking by one of the bar areas on the 3rd base side some lady was like, "Hey - Wake Forest!" I just said yeah and walked past her.

A few innings later I passed her again and this time she stopped me. Turns out she works at the book store on campus. Talked with her and the people she was with about football and basketball for a little bit. I live in Cleveland and they obviously live in the W-S area so it was pretty random to meet up like that.

I was in the Reading, PA area for the July 4th weekend and I decided to go to a Reading Phillies game on a Sunday night. I was wearing a WF football t-shirt (just the WF logo, not spelled out). Walking by one of the bar areas on the 3rd base side some lady was like, "Hey - Wake Forest!" I just said yeah and walked past her.

A few innings later I passed her again and this time she stopped me. Turns out she works at the book store on campus. Talked with her and the people she was with about football and basketball for a little bit. I live in Cleveland and they obviously live in the W-S area so it was pretty random to meet up like that.

Something similar to that happened to me at the FL State Fair last year with a Winston resident and Wake fan who ran a guessing booth.

I was standing in line at the Guinness factory in Dublin and the guy in front of me also goes to Wake and had gone to high school and middle school with me, was also in London for the semester abroad, had also gone to Dublin for St. Patrick's Day, also decided to go visit the Guinness factory at the exact same time we did.

It was odd

Oh also HTTD's best friend from high school is from the same really small town outside Philly as my gf, he goes "WAIT YOU MEAN NEW HOPE, PENNSYLVANIA? THAT'S WHERE I'M FROM".

oh and here's one more... maybe not so much a "small world" story but definitely just strange.

freshman year at wake I lived in a suite with 3 girls all named Kristen. All 4 of us were born within a week of each other, and the 2 roommates who lived in the adjacent room had the same birthday.

Sounds like the algorithm broke.

Last fall we were spending a few days in Washington DC. My husband, son and I were coming out of the Museum of Natural History when I hear someone call my son's name. It was his Cub Scout den leader, there with his wife and older son. None of us knew the other family was going to DC that weekend.

Fall of my junior year I was at Worrell House for the semester. We had a two-week break in the middle of the semester and we split into smaller groups to travel different places. There was general discussion of where each group was headed but no specific meet-up plans (and this was pre-Facebook, pre-email, etc.). Two friends and I were in Florence for several days, staying at a little B&B in an out-of-the-way section of town. We came out one morning, walked down the block and turned the corner, and ran into three other people from Worrell House.

I bumped into an old college friend down at a resort in the Dominican a few years ago. We got piss drunk that day.

This is maybe just more of a cool story involving my dad.

He was on a golf trip in Orlando with some buddies and they were watching Wake vs. Marquette back in the day (DWade vs JHO era I think). They're at the bar at Bay Hill and who sits down to watch the 2nd half right beside my dad but The King himself. Fast forward to several years later and my dad is on another golf/couples trip in Ireland. They are eating breakfast or lunch at their hotel and who comes and sits at the table beside them but Arnie himself. This happens to be the day that Skip passed. Arnie remembers my dad and they talk for awhile, and my dad breaks the terrible news to him (that I broke to him right when I found out). Pretty unreal.

A less cool one from myself was senior spring break in Jamaica when these two random South Carolina girls come up to me and know my name and ask me to come with them to their table at the resort. They know my name because one of my best family friends from childhood (who I haven't seen/spoken to in years) is with them and staying at the same resort. We hung out pretty much all week.

Saw one of highschool teammates dad at a wal-mart in Eagle River, Alaska one summer. It scared both of us.

Juice, OGD, I and 7 deacs went to a Giants game a few weeks ago. We purchased our tickets on Stubhub and sitting behind us (randomly) was another Deac who was roommates with OGD in college and was visiting San Francisco.

It's such a small random world.

My roommates sister in law, a former Miss Virginia, just turned down the opportunity to be on Survivor.

Small world, I've always wanted to hook up with a Miss America contestant. And I used to like Survivor.

I was stationed in Fairbanks, Alaska from 2005-2008 and even though it's the 2nd largest city in Alaska, it's pretty damn small with about 1/3 of the population being made up of military people and their family. I was checking out a new burger joint that had opened up in town one day when a woman walks up to me and calls me by my first name, which no one in the military uses. I looked at her and realized she looked familiar but I couldn't place her. Turns out we had been in a freshman seminar together almost 10 years prior and she recognized me. She was there with her boyfriend because they were trying to find jobs as bush pilots in Alaska. Very random.

i don't have any really good ones. In March I took the family to Disneyworld and ran into this older couple who attend our church. I thought the chances of that were pretty low given the size of Disneyworld and the smallness of our church.

Back