• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

It's Greek to Him: Another Dino(s) Gone After 3 Seasons, Signs With Panathinaikos

I still don't understand Dinos' decision. 4 years for a combined $2 million. I feel like that offer plus more could have been available after this season, one in which he would likely play a bigger role and put up bigger numbers.
I'm sorry, but $2m is $2m. What if he gets hurt? Etc. Take that all day long

Dinos Mitoglou Forgoes WF Senior Season, Signs with Greek Pro Team

As others have pointed out, 4/2M is not far off from the contract slot for the last pick of the first round. Of course a guy who isn't a NBA prospect is going to take that deal.

I could be wrong on this, but I'm pretty sure that money is post-tax too, so it's actually even a better deal than it appears at face value.

At least for JC, those advocating that he should stay had a reasonable argument that another year could potentially get him a higher draft position and therefore more money in his initial contract. With Dinos, the question is, does he want $2m now, or $2m later. In your first day of class on present values, you learn what the answer to that is.

At least for JC, those advocating that he should stay had a reasonable argument that another year could potentially get him a higher draft position and therefore more money in his initial contract. With Dinos, the question is, does he want $2m now, or $2m later. In your first day of class on present values, you learn what the answer to that is.

Do they have inflation in Greece though?

As much as Danny and his system may prefer a stretch 4, looks like bro's gonna have to adapt.

Look, he's not going to play in the NBA. So, his first choice behind that is probably to play at home in Greece. This accomplishes that and gets him well paid, too. I don't see more money coming his way if he stays, and there are risks if he has more injury problems and doesn't have a strong senior year. Be happy for him. It was almost a no-brainer for him.

I'm happy for Dinos. And I don't think he mislead the coaching staff. But decent ACC players never have an issue finding Euro deals making good money. The Greek league is maybe the 9th best international league. Maybe it was playing for this specific team, one of the best in that league, that made the deal too good to turn down.

I still don't understand Dinos' decision. 4 years for a combined $2 million. I feel like that offer plus more could have been available after this season, one in which he would likely play a bigger role and put up bigger numbers.

Dude grew up in Greece, went to college in a city with a decent sized Greek population, has always seemed to miss home, and just got offered €2 million to go play for the Greek version of the Lakers. Not that hard to understand.

Dinos Mitoglou Forgoes WF Senior Season, Signs with Greek Pro Team

I could be wrong on this, but I'm pretty sure that money is post-tax too, so it's actually even a better deal than it appears at face value.

Do they have taxes in Greece?

I'm far from an expert on ACC alum Euro deals. Dinos' contract looks like a very very good rookie contract.

I'm far from an expert on ACC alum Euro deals. Dinos' contract looks like a very very good rookie contract.

If I remember correctly from a class at Wake they used to have a very steep income tax. Unsure if that's still then case given their issues.

I'm happy for Dinos. And I don't think he mislead the coaching staff. But decent ACC players never have an issue finding Euro deals making good money. The Greek league is maybe the 9th best international league. Maybe it was playing for this specific team, one of the best in that league, that made the deal too good to turn down.

Panathinaikos is regularly in the Euroleague though which is the best league in the world outside the NBA

$500k/year is a big deal in Europe. The best players in Europe make between 1-3 million and the average is probably closer to $150K for the top leagues.

For reference, top high school players can expect an offer between 1 and 1.5 million from China (see Mudiay and more recently Kevin Knox). Brandon Jennings earned ~ 600k (plus another 600k in endorsement money) when he played in Italy in 2008.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly from a class at Wake they used to have a very steep income tax. Unsure if that's still then case given their issues.

It was a joke about how the Greek elites easily get out of paying income taxes.

If that is the case then that is a pretty sweet deal for Dinos. Still lost all respect for the kid for going around the coaching staffs back. Low class move.

If that is the case then that is a pretty sweet deal for Dino's. Still lost all respect for the kid for going around the coaching staffs back. Low class move.

This is a totally moronic take. He didn't do anything of the sort. The team came to him and made an offer. He turned down the first one and accepted the next one.

I'd be very surprised if he didn't discuss it with Danny and Chill. Between them they have a wealth of experience with the NBA and Euro ball.

Nobody in Greece pays taxes though. People laugh at you if you do. That is why they are in such bad shape economically.

Back