• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

It's Greek to Him: Another Dino(s) Gone After 3 Seasons, Signs With Panathinaikos

My main problem with Whitman is that he looks like what our PF might have looked like in 1987. Dude looks retro and not in a good way, in a tube sock kinda way.

honestly, i am all in with Whitman. we have the spot open, he is a big man, would only play one season...rather have the position filled with a big body.

I don't get the Whitman love. If he played only 20 mpg maybe- but then I'd ask how come so few minutes for that team. Meh.
There's really no downside to adding Whitman. If he stinks, he rides pine, and the scholly is freed up again next year. There aren't many good post-grad bigs this late in the game.

ETA: And I don't pretend to have watched W&M basketball, but if Kansas offered him a scholarship, he must have some sort of potential to be at least decent.

Last edited:
I'd rather roll the dice with Whitman than leave the schollie open.

There is no downside whatsoever in going after Whitman and/or Thompson because they both fill an immediate need.

I agree that the circumstances leaving Kansas are strange. I'm sure Danny called up Self to see what the deal was.

Seemed cut and dry that Kansas needed room for Bagley.

My main problem with Whitman is that he looks like what our PF might have looked like in 1987. Dude looks retro and not in a good way, in a tube sock kinda way.

hey now

9649882.jpeg

While I have my doubts Whitman can play the 4, there's not really any downside to signing him. I'd like to keep one scholly to potentially take on a mid season transfer to play in '18-'19. If we don't land Laszewski, then I'd rather try to bring on a transfer to fill out that class than any of the other bigs we seem to be associated with.

While I have my doubts Whitman can play the 4, there's not really any downside to signing him. I'd like to keep one scholly to potentially take on a mid season transfer to play in '18-'19. If we don't land Laszewski, then I'd rather try to bring on a transfer to fill out that class than any of the other bigs we seem to be associated with.

What position would he play? He's 6-9, 235 and shot 60% from 2-pt last year. He also had a 116 ORTG on a 21% usage while rebounding at good clips offensively and defensively.

It seems like the 4 is a no-brainer position for him at Wake. He played a lot of the 5 at W&M, but given the guys we have he would slide into the 4.

Yeah. Looks like it. Fact remains he needed somebody to leave to get Bagley.

Maybe Whitman is just homesick and is looking for something closer to home or he is done with hoops.

What position would he play? He's 6-9, 235 and shot 60% from 2-pt last year. He also had a 116 ORTG on a 21% usage while rebounding at good clips offensively and defensively.

It seems like the 4 is a no-brainer position for him at Wake. He played a lot of the 5 at W&M, but given the guys we have he would slide into the 4.

Just not sure we'd have enough floor spacing with him and any of our other bigs playing together. Granted this may be our best option, but we'll see. Manning has rarely played true two bigs together outside of Dinos. I've never seen Whitman play so trying to hold off judgement but he's a sub-60% FT shooter so doubt he can stretch out and hit a 15 footer.

Or play a 1-3-1 with Doral down low guarding the rim, Melo/Donovan up top, Crawford and Chaundee on the wings, and Key in the middle

The bottom of the 1-3-1 has to be quick enough to run the baseline and guard the corners. No way Doral can do that. He would play in the middle and a wing would be on the baseline.

The bottom of the 1-3-1 has to be quick enough to run the baseline and guard the corners. No way Doral can do that. He would play in the middle and a wing would be on the baseline.

Fastest player on the bottom imo. Length/agility up top. Fat guy in the middle. Wings are the remainder.

Y'all are probably right, I was saying what I did in high school which is obviously a lot different than ACC. We just had our wings rotate to the corners in high school but I'm sure it's a lot higher percentage shot in the ACC lol

Also, Les wrote up a great interview he had with manning on the Scout site. He answers the question about the 4 and doesn't seem worried at all (I know that's his job but still, you'll have to read it to see)

Think if he was coming he would be here by now. I think we are going with what we got

Classes start in 3 weeks.

Back