• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

It's Greek to Him: Another Dino(s) Gone After 3 Seasons, Signs With Panathinaikos

Perhaps the biggest problem with a four guard lineup is that we waste Chaundee's defense on a post player.

I just don't see how Brown can defend at the 4 in the ACC.

Maybe I'm vastly underestimating him, but that's a huge ask of a freshman 6-4/6-5 player.

The best hope (aside from a grad transfer) is that Melo or Mitchell can grab a lot of the minutes there.

If we do play a 4 guard lineup I imagine we will have to go to a zone against most teams. I'd put Crawford and Chaundee at the top of that zone and hide the weaker defensive guards in the corners with the hopes that Doral and SJM are far enough along defensively to clean up any messes near the basket.

fwiw Chaundee measured 6-6, 208 at USA bball camp this summer. Melo is listed at 6-8, 187. neither is a good option, but if you're gonna mention Melo as an option, those 2 inches aren't that important.

Justise Winslow measured 6-4.5 w/o shoes at the NBA combine and he played power forward for Duke on their title run.

Honestly it all depends on matchups. There's a lot of teams in the ACC that never really play 2 traditional bigs together(Duke, ND, VT, few others). We'll have no problem playing 4 guard lineups here. Vs UNC and Louisville, it'll be a different story, but hopefully one of Mitchell, Eggleston and Washington can step up and earn 20 minutes a game. I'm most bullish on Washington overall, although he'll probably have the hardest time guarding bigger 4's. Think we'll rarely see 2 of our 3 centers play together. It will just kill our floor spacing and Manning has showed in the past he's hesitant to do this. Chaundee is fine to guard some 4, but agree that having him do too much of it may wear him down at the end of the season. Whatever mismatch we may be facing one end, we're gonna be able to exploit on the other. If teams want to go big against us, we can space them out with our 4-guard sets and shoot them out the gym. My biggest gripe with DM last year was that he was too quick too matchup with opponents' lineups rather than trying to dictate the pace. Dinos' departure hurts, but a competent coach should be able to make it work and at least contend for an NCAA berth. Should learn a lot about DM as a coach this year.

the height weight difference between Chaundee and Melo is like the height weight difference between andre igoudala and brandon ingram. which one can guard power forwards better?

If we do play a 4 guard lineup I imagine we will have to go to a zone against most teams. I'd put Crawford and Chaundee at the top of that zone and hide the weaker defensive guards in the corners with the hopes that Doral and SJM are far enough along defensively to clean up any messes near the basket.

Or play a 1-3-1 with Doral down low guarding the rim, Melo/Donovan up top, Crawford and Chaundee on the wings, and Key in the middle

Don't you usually put your big in the middle of the 3 and the back 1 runs his ass off on the baseline?

You probably could, when I played we had the big as the bottom guy that didn't go out further than the block and the two edge guys busted their asses to get to the 3 point line. Rotations are everything. We'd give up an open corner 3 here and there to lock down the inside, wings, and top of the key.

You probably could, when I played we had the big as the bottom guy that didn't go out further than the block and the two edge guys busted their asses to get to the 3 point line. Rotations are everything. We'd give up an open corner 3 here and there to lock down the inside, wings, and top of the key.

This is where knowing your opponents' tendencies is important. Where do they prefer to shoot threes from? is it corner, straight on, 45deg or??? Then adjust the personnel in the 1-3-1 to counter the tendencies as best you can. Having the big in the back gives slightly better rebounding possibilities.

This is where knowing your opponents' tendencies is important. Where do they prefer to shoot threes from? is it corner, straight on, 45deg or??? Then adjust the personnel in the 1-3-1 to counter the tendencies as best you can. Having the big in the back gives slightly better rebounding possibilities.

not really. In the middle of the zone, the big's job is to guard the lane and stay between the ball and the hoop. Rebound positioning, isn't necessarily better or worse form that position. If you plan on trapping out of the zone to speed up the game, having someone long in the middle on the trap, falling back to the middle position is much better, with the runner down low to fill the long passing lane and run the baseline.

Except in most 1-3-1 sets, the big plays the middle of the 3. The back guy is someone who can move and cover.

I have no doubts that we'd take Whitman, and that he'd be a great fit... I just haven't seen any evidence that he's even considering playing anywhere this year.

Dinos Mitoglou Forgoes WF Senior Season, Signs with Greek Pro Team

I have no doubts that we'd take Whitman, and that he'd be a great fit... I just haven't seen any evidence that he's even considering playing anywhere this year.

Except that he was enrolled at Kansas to play this year?

Great article. Make it happen.

Last edited:

Not that I would turn him down, but the whole article compares his play to the roll that Collins played on offense last season...but Collins played the 5, and we are in desperate need of a 4.

Oh noes! We will have to run PNR with a PF like most basketball teams.

I don't get the Whitman love. If he played only 20 mpg maybe- but then I'd ask how come so few minutes for that team. Meh.

I don't get the Whitman love. If he played only 20 mpg maybe- but then I'd ask how come so few minutes for that team. Meh.

Who on our current roster do you love more at PF than Whitman?

My comment was based on the complete lack of public information on why he left or what his plans are. He's a sought after transfer and there hasn't been anything written about that in almost 2 weeks, aside from Wake/ACC bloggers.

Kansas seemed legitimately surprised by his decision to leave. It doesn't feel like he was pushed out, because KU is still actively looking to fill his roster spot.

And would Danny take a kid that basically went AWOL from KU? Could that be interpreted poorly?

I'm all in on getting Whitman... Something just doesn't feel right to me.

Back