• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ITT We post examples of college bball coaches throwing their players under the bus

Coach K...his players aren't mentally ready.

We were really worried coming off the Purdue game,' he said, noting Duke's road opponent - a 16-point Devils' win - four days earlier. 'This is a tough academic week for us, and we didn't handle it in a mature way. We were not mentally ready.'

"I was upset [at halftime on Saturday], but at the same time you have to have a plan on how you are going to succeed. You just can't be mad and expect them... they didn't listen to me all week up until the game. If you're thinking in 15 minutes at halftime you're going to get their attention... the best thing to do was give them a plan of how we were going to get back in it and win the football game. We just didn't make plays. I think we did what we had to do, we just didn't make a play to win the game."

TOB after the BC loss. your players didn't listen to you all week? you realize that just reflects really, really poorly on you, right?

Roy on his disappointing NIT 09/10 team:

"The most significant thing to me is that I haven't been able to find the right answers to a lot of things as a coach and more than anything, I haven't been able to get this team to play with the intensity that all of our teams have ever played with. And that's the thing that's hurt our team, and on a personal basis, it's bothered me more than anything, because every team I've ever had played really hard."

"I do believe that I've coached harder down the stretch than I ever have," said Williams, 59. "I do believe that I will coach harder as the rest of the season pans out. I do believe I will recruit harder in the summer.

"I do believe it has been a different fuel, but a more powerful fuel, because as much as I enjoyed winning a national championship in '05, and how satisfying and what a relief winning a national championship [was] in '09 - I dislike this far, far more than I enjoyed those."

Williams and his staff started looking through practice plans from 5, 10, 15 years ago, trying to find inspiration. "We said, 'Are leaving anything out here? Are we teaching anything differently? Are we missing something?' " Williams said.

All the while, they still found themselves having to try to teach effort rather than execution.

"I've showed this year's team more examples of lack of intensity than I've showed any team," Williams said. "I've tried to convince them that it's not just something we're making up ... You say 'you've got to box out,' and they say, 'I did box out.' Well, then they look at the tape and see that they didn't. So we've spent more time showing them that part of it, and talking about that I shouldn't have to coach effort...than how to do things."

One man's "throwing the players under the bus" is another man's "holding the players accountable".

Well some cocks are out in hands after 3 wins over terrible teams.

Bruce Weber on McCamey and his team:

"He stopped coming in to work hard and spend extra time on his shot and all the stuff you need to do...The lack of toughness, the lack of leadership and understanding how hard you have to play every game, it's probably the difference of us being a possibly top-10 team and being where we are -- fighting for our lives"

I was about to add that you could pretty much submit at least one postgame comment per loss from Bruce Weber over the last 5+ years.

My personal favorite was when he said that Brian Carlwell wasn't tough enough and decided to transfer. You know, the same Brian Carlwell that almost died in a car drunkenly driven by his teammate who left him in the car to die while he went inside for 15 minutes before calling the police. The teammate convicted of a felony and admitted alcoholic and allowed to stay on the team because he was their only reliable 3-point threat.

Bruce Weber is an assclown of the highest order.

When [Redacted] does it it looks like he's defending himself because, well, he doesn't have a track record. Coaches like Turgeon do have a track record, and a good one, so when they do the same thing it's much more believable that they are trying to push the players.

For what it's worth, TAMU fans considered Turgeon to have two failings while he was there: 1) Recruiting 2) Whining. The recruiting stuff was nonsense, but I do think they were right about the whining. I would rather not have a head coach doing a lot of whining, but Turgeon has had success getting a great deal of intensity out of players so if that's one of his tactics then so be it.

OMG Colorado AD attacking Colorado while he still works there:

[Redacted] has supporters. Among them is Mike Bohn, athletic director at Colorado.

"He inherited a program that really had lost its way and Jeff steered it back the right way,'' Bohn said, "and college basketball at the University of Colorado is extremely healthy and with a bright future due to Jeff [Redacted] here.''

He was being obnoxious towards the question and his critics. The AD echoed his sentiments.

Coaches can attack professional athletes in public all they want.
Coaches can attack amateur athletes in the locker room all they want.
I have a fundamental problem with coaches attacking amateur athletes in public, no matter who does it. It becomes worse depending on the coach and whatever credentials he has to point to that says that he knows what he is doing.
But, in general, coaches shouldn't throw amateur athletes under the bus just because they are frustrated with bad results. Shows a lack of perspective, IMO.

Odom has a particularily bad bus moment when he questioned Tony Rutland's toughness before an NCAA tourney game when in fact Rutland had a torn ACL.

Back