• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ITT We post examples of college bball coaches throwing their players under the bus

When [Redacted] does it it looks like he's defending himself because, well, he doesn't have a track record. Coaches like Turgeon do have a track record, and a good one, so when they do the same thing it's much more believable that they are trying to push the players.

Since I don't like [Redacted] and do like Turgeon, I will say good things about Turgeon and bad about Bzz doing the samer thing. It makes sense and is fair."

FIFY

So just like you do in regards to Lobo and [Redacted] then. Cool.

Everyone should be allowed to defend themselves. Some people are just better and more tactful at doing so.

Embarrassing admission: until this thread I thought that Sean Miller was the coach at Maryland now. I'd been hearing all about their recruiting success lately and have been thinking all along that it was due to Sean Miller. Not sure where I went wrong. Guess I blacked out right before they hired Turgeon.

Since I don't like [Redacted] and do like Turgeon, I will say good things about Turgeon and bad about Bzz doing the samer thing. It makes sense and is fair."

FIFY

No, read my post. I don't particularly like calling out players, but when Turgeon does it it looks a lot less like he's defending himself because he doesn't have to defend himself due to his resume. What's wrong with this logic?

Last edited:
No, read my post. I don't particularly like calling out players, but when Turgeon does it it looks a lot less like he's defending himself because he doesn't have to defend himself due to his resume. What's wrong with this logic?

other than the fact you are making conclusions based upon premises that cannot be proven true or even assumed to be true, there isn't anything wrong with your logic. Of course the fact that logical conclusions are based on known or assumed to be true premises is probably a big hurdle for you to overcome. Basically you are drawing "logical" conclusions based on your feelings as to the motivation of a person. Your view of another person's personal motivation, with no way to actually demonstrate what said motivation was, is simply not the basis for a logical conclusion. That doesn't mean you are wrong, it just means you aren't using the concept of logical inference to draw your conclusions.

It can be just as easily argued that due to his past success, Turgeon feels the need to defend himself to the public because his players are making him look bad after he took over a new job and he does not want their lack of commitment to reflect poorly on him. That is just as likely a scenario as yours and thus it cannot be assumed that either scenario is true. It is also a plausible scenario that a coach that hasn't had a lot of historical success may be in a situation in which it is difficult to motivate players privately because of a lack of inherent respect and thus feels the way to motivate them is to publically talk about their performance. As such, one cannot draw logical conclusions on this subject

eta: I am not a fan of admonishing the play of players publically either as a motivation tool or to defend yourself

Last edited:
Well some cocks are out in hands after 3 wins over terrible teams.

oh save it. you spent the whole last year bitching about bz and in many cases making an ass out of yourself about it and now a couple guys are poking fun at it. chill.

also, be happy for the players for winning three in a row. no sense in downplaying their accomplishments on account of your fragile ego.

An awful lot of internet shockjocks here need to get over themselves pdq.

This is a really fucking stupid thread.

oh save it. you spent the whole last year bitching about bz and in many cases making an ass out of yourself about it and now a couple guys are poking fun at it. chill.

also, be happy for the players for winning three in a row. no sense in downplaying their accomplishments on account of your fragile ego.

This. I truly believe some of the Bzzouters here are rooting for [Redacted] and his Wake teams to fail, which is truly embarrassing.

Embarrassing admission: until this thread I thought that Sean Miller was the coach at Maryland now. I'd been hearing all about their recruiting success lately and have been thinking all along that it was due to Sean Miller. Not sure where I went wrong. Guess I blacked out right before they hired Turgeon.

This "recruiting success" exists only in the minds of homer Maryland fans. They refuse to be objective about anything. So far all we've landed is a good big man who was going to commit to Gary Williams anyway, an under-the-radar guard and a goofy white dude who just replaced Justin Anderson anyway. Then we went out and whiffed on just about every other major target.

This after spending $300,000+ per year on a single assistant coach whose specialty is supposed to be local recruiting.

If Turgeon doesn't land the Harrison Twins (good luck battling Kentucky!) then I suspect he'll wish he never took this job. And he may be looking for another one.

Damn it I wish we did have Sean Miller.

If it's wrong to call out players, it's wrong. I've said this is something that distrurbed me about [Redacted].

Turgeon has had a nice career but he's done nothnig to be considered a big star.

In thirteen years baas a head coach in college, Turgoen has made one Sweet 16.

His record is a bit better than [Redacted]'s (and yes I would have rather us have hired Turgeon-but he wasn't available), but he doesn't deserve the deference you are offering him.

Back