• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jameis Winston has crabs! (legs)

"
A month before the rape accusation became public, the university’s victim advocate learned that a second woman had sought counseling after a sexual encounter with Mr. Winston, according to the prosecutor’s office. The woman did not call it rape — she did not say “no.” But the encounter, not previously reported, “was of such a nature that she felt violated or felt that she needed to seek some type of counseling for her emotions about the experience,” according to Georgia Cappleman, the chief assistant state attorney, who said she had spoken with the advocate but not with the woman."

She didn't say "no" but she wanted to report him.

Was the report before or after she called a lawyer who handles civil cases?

what is the synopsis of the article, other than that (i assume) the criminal justice system sucks?

Haven't finished it, but local PD and university covered the whole thing up due to, ya know, the need to win a national championship. That seems to be the running theory. Police couldn't possibly be this incompetent and keep jobs

thanks jaybone, i thought that's about how it went but didn't wanna tackle the write up just yet.

The gist is that the police department intentionally put zero effort into the investigation. There was key evidence that they could have easily acquired, such as cell phone video of the alleged assault occurring, surveillance video of the bar from which she was picked up by football players, and potentially text messages between the witnesses. They didn't get any of that evidence because they didn't want to.

i've heard civille (sp) deac say that police are unenthusiastic about acquaintance rape cases in general. in this case i always wanted to know if it was FSU police or Tallahassee PD doing the investigation? If it was the former, then, well, yeah.

If the latter that's better, but probably still a lot of FSU fans in the department. Too bad something like this couldn't have been handled at the state level somehow. That said, in the past i have defended JW against prosecution on certain personal principals, but idk anything about the specifics, and if it was non-consensual or if she withdrew her consent (clearly via actions or words) during the encounter then he should be held responsible for that.

If it's grey (most likely) i don't see how you prosecute someone for this, in the same way i have a strong personal distaste for GZ but stopped short of saying he satisfied the criteria for murder in any degree.

Sickening. Pretty damning evidence against JW.

Didn't she give the cops different accounts of what happened?
If she did, the article didn't go into that. But the article is pretty convincing that there was evidence out there to collect, and that the police didn't want to collect it. That doesn't mean Winston is guilty, because the evidence could have shown otherwise. But it means that the police didn't want to know if Winston was guilty.

"
A month before the rape accusation became public, the university’s victim advocate learned that a second woman had sought counseling after a sexual encounter with Mr. Winston, according to the prosecutor’s office. The woman did not call it rape — she did not say “no.” But the encounter, not previously reported, “was of such a nature that she felt violated or felt that she needed to seek some type of counseling for her emotions about the experience,” according to Georgia Cappleman, the chief assistant state attorney, who said she had spoken with the advocate but not with the woman."

She didn't say "no" but she wanted to report him.

Was the report before or after she called a lawyer who handles civil cases?

Fuck you. Do you lack basic reading comprehension of the text that you copy-pasted yourself. As is probably all too common in college, the girl referenced had a questionable sexual encounter that left her feeling violated. She sought counseling and didn't report anything. Now she is being dragged into it because of JW's subsequent sexual encounter with another girl. What don't you understand?

If she did, the article didn't go into that. But the article is pretty convincing that there was evidence out there to collect, and that the police didn't want to collect it. That doesn't mean Winston is guilty, because the evidence could have shown otherwise. But it means that the police didn't want to know if Winston was guilty.

Yeah, that's how I read it as well.

They didn't want to do their job because the were scared of what they might find. Shame, because now we will probably never know what happened that night.

to the tagger...no dmcheat can't read, yet he can somehow write..

taggers...

As I read it, you've got a journalist with an agenda and all of those who wanted to believe in his guilt can now pile on. The FSU wanted championship bucks and is protecting a star athlete is pretty tranparent. As is the fact that none of this came out at the time of the incident but only months later when JW was emerging as a star and FSU was winning big. Why would the police and university protect him at the time of the incident? He wasn't a star athlete at that time.

I seem to recall the accuser's aunt being a lawyer and pushing this to the front page. I seem to recall there being a second encounter with a boyfriend or something like that and that it was his "deposit" on her underwear. I also seem to recall there being no evidence of her being highly intoxicated or drugged. I seem to recall the Prosecutor being fairly definitive in his reasoning and decision not to pursue the case.

I don't understand the need for the article to rehash and retrash someone.

As I read it, you've got a journalist with an agenda and all of those who wanted to believe in his guilt can now pile on. The FSU wanted championship bucks and is protecting a star athlete is pretty tranparent. As is the fact that none of this came out at the time of the incident but only months later when JW was emerging as a star and FSU was winning big. Why would the police and university protect him at the time of the incident? He wasn't a star athlete at that time.

I seem to recall the accuser's aunt being a lawyer and pushing this to the front page. I seem to recall there being a second encounter with a boyfriend or something like that and that it was his "deposit" on her underwear. I also seem to recall there being no evidence of her being highly intoxicated or drugged. I seem to recall the Prosecutor being fairly definitive in his reasoning and decision not to pursue the case.

You clearly didn't read the article. Thanks for providing your recollections.

You seem to recall a lot of things incorrectly.

I seem to recall the Prosecutor being fairly definitive in his reasoning and decision not to pursue the case.
They were pretty definitive, but that reasoning was not that Winston was guilty. It was that the police performed a very poor investiation which gave the prosecution nothing to work with.

From the article:
In his announcement, the prosecutor, William N. Meggs, acknowledged a number of shortcomings in the police investigation. In fact, an examination by The New York Times has found that there was virtually no investigation at all, either by the police or the university.

The police did not follow the obvious leads that would have quickly identified the suspect as well as witnesses, one of whom videotaped part of the sexual encounter. After the accuser identified Mr. Winston as her assailant, the police did not even attempt to interview him for nearly two weeks and never obtained his DNA.

The detective handling the case waited two months to write his first report and then prematurely suspended his inquiry without informing the accuser. By the time the prosecutor got the case, important evidence had disappeared, including the video of the sexual act.

“They just missed all the basic fundamental stuff that you are supposed to do,” Mr. Meggs said in a recent interview. Even so, he cautioned, a better investigation might have yielded the same result.

Haven't finished it, but local PD and university covered the whole thing up due to, ya know, the need to win a national championship. That seems to be the running theory. Police couldn't possibly be this incompetent and keep jobs

Sure they can keep their jobs. See course Ron Wellman 101.

Back