• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jameis Winston has crabs! (legs)

Sounds like the police really botched this case by not following through.

It is no excuse, but, supposed victims like the chick in the Kaepernick case are part of the problem - and the reason some people are quick to discount these types of claims. Not saying it was the case in the Winston situation, but I can imagine cops getting tired of invetigating these situations only to find out it was a 'victim' tying to cash in...

Thanks for posting the recap... seems to me the only thing I did not recall correctly was the boyfriend's sperm was on her shorts, not underwear. The horror!

Sounds like the police really botched this case by not following through.

It is no excuse, but, supposed victims like the chick in the Kaepernick case are part of the problem - and the reason some people are quick to discount these types of claims. Not saying it was the case in the Winston situation, but I can imagine cops getting tired of invetigating these situations only to find out it was a 'victim' tying to cash in...

That kind of incident, where the person claiming rape is lying, is so low that it barely bothers a mention.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/01/07/the-saddest-graph-youll-see-today/

rape_infographic.jpg

The above graphic, passed along by the Huffington Post's Laura Bassett, was put together by the Enliven Project using data from Department of Justice's National Crime Victimization Survey and FBI reports. It drives home extremely well the fact that false rape accusations are exceedingly rare, despite what media reports might suggest. Almost as rare are cases when rapists actually go to jail.
Update:
Rape statistics are notoriously hard to collect, and Amanda Marcotte has a compelling critique of the methods used here, which Enliven describes in more detail here. So while the phenomena described here are real (and Marcotte argues that, if anything, the chart exaggerates the number of false accusations), be aware that the exact numbers are subject to dispute.

That kind of incident, where the person claiming rape is lying, is so low that it barely bothers a mention.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/01/07/the-saddest-graph-youll-see-today/

rape_infographic.jpg

The above graphic, passed along by the Huffington Post's Laura Bassett, was put together by the Enliven Project using data from Department of Justice's National Crime Victimization Survey and FBI reports. It drives home extremely well the fact that false rape accusations are exceedingly rare, despite what media reports might suggest. Almost as rare are cases when rapists actually go to jail.
Update:
Rape statistics are notoriously hard to collect, and Amanda Marcotte has a compelling critique of the methods used here, which Enliven describes in more detail here. So while the phenomena described here are real (and Marcotte argues that, if anything, the chart exaggerates the number of false accusations), be aware that the exact numbers are subject to dispute.

I don't doubt that, within the entire realm of reported rape cases, instances where the report is proven false or made-up are very rare. Making such an allegation creates a huge burden on the accuser and I wouldn't think that many women would willingly go through that. However, I would make two points in response.

First, within the realm of reported rape or sexual assault cases where the alleged perpetrator is a celebrity or professional athletes, I am willing to bet that the percentage of false claims is much, much higher.

And, second, even if they are rare, because we are talking about the subset of cases involving celebrities or athletes, they are highly publicized. This means that they are in the forefront of people's minds the next time they hear of an allegation - and that includes the investigating officers.

I don't doubt that, within the entire realm of reported rape cases, instances where the report is proven false or made-up are very rare. Making such an allegation creates a huge burden on the accuser and I wouldn't think that many women would willingly go through that. However, I would make two points in response.

First, within the realm of reported rape or sexual assault cases where the alleged perpetrator is a celebrity or professional athletes, I am willing to bet that the percentage of false claims is much, much higher.

And, second, even if they are rare, because we are talking about the subset of cases involving celebrities or athletes, they are highly publicized. This means that they are in the forefront of people's minds the next time they hear of an allegation - and that includes the investigating officers.

I used to share your point of view, then I read those statistics (provided to me by Tuffalo, RIP) and I changed my mind.

I didn't just decide to make up a new subset of rape allegations only pertaining celebrities or athletes and move the goalposts. The fact remains that in the grand scheme of all rapes (we shouldn't break them into subgroups, IMO) that so few reports are lies that it barely deserves a mention. There are exceptions that prove nearly every rule, afterall, but we don't then say because those exceptions exist that we need to start questioning the rule itself.

Also, Wilson wasn't famous when this incident took place, so I highly doubt the person's accusation of rape was to "cash in" on anything. I won't say Wilson is guilty, nor will I say he is innocent because we will never know because the TPD botched the case. And if they allowed past news stories to stop them from investigating a rape allegation then they should be fired on the spot.

Thanks for posting the recap... seems to me the only thing I did not recall correctly was the boyfriend's sperm was on her shorts, not underwear. The horror!

It always annoys me that I have to share schools with some of these old farts that are idiots who graduated from Wake before it became the nationally elite academic institution it is today that people like oldmandeac would have no business ever setting foot in.

The point is not to demonize JW, but to loudly and persistently protest the systematic failure of many police department's handling of sexual assault cases.

Last edited:
tpd is horrible and the leon county justice system as a whole is probs worse.

I used to share your point of view, then I read those statistics (provided to me by Tuffalo, RIP) and I changed my mind.

I didn't just decide to make up a new subset of rape allegations only pertaining celebrities or athletes and move the goalposts. It is not about moving the goalposts it is about understanding context and the applicability of statistics. I was not even necessarily talking about the Winston case specifically, just pointing out that the stats for the general case of rape allegations may be different from the stats you would get if analyzing allegations involving celebrities or professional athletes. The fact remains that in the grand scheme of all rapes (we shouldn't break them into subgroups, IMO) that so few reports are lies that it barely deserves a mention. I simply think this is not true in the case of allegations against celebrities and athletes - in those cases I think the percentage is significant enough to bear consideration - I could certainly be wrong. There are exceptions that prove nearly every rule, afterall, but we don't then say because those exceptions exist that we need to start questioning the rule itself.

Also, Wilson wasn't famous when this incident took place, so I highly doubt the person's accusation of rape was to "cash in" on anything. Valid Point - but, he might not have been famous nationally but any FSU football player would be "famous" in Tallahasee. I won't venture a guess as to her motivation. The fact is, until proven otherwise, we should all simply assume her motivation was to report a crime I won't say Wilson is guilty, nor will I say he is innocent because we will never know because the TPD botched the case. That is correct - and a shame. And if they allowed past news stories to stop them from investigating a rape allegation then they should be fired on the spot. AGREED

And, part of my whole point was that, even if the false allegations are very, very rare, the fact that they receive so much publicity makes it seem to the public that they are much more prevalent. Understand that none of this excuses the PD from doing their job - just an observation of how these perceptions can impact the way people approach these cases - even people whose responsibility specifically includes not being swayed by such pre-conceptions.

The saddest thing about all this is that this will just discourage other women from reporting rapes.

As I read it, you've got a journalist with an agenda and all of those who wanted to believe in his guilt can now pile on. The FSU wanted championship bucks and is protecting a star athlete is pretty tranparent. As is the fact that none of this came out at the time of the incident but only months later when JW was emerging as a star and FSU was winning big. Why would the police and university protect him at the time of the incident? He wasn't a star athlete at that time.

I seem to recall the accuser's aunt being a lawyer and pushing this to the front page. I seem to recall there being a second encounter with a boyfriend or something like that and that it was his "deposit" on her underwear. I also seem to recall there being no evidence of her being highly intoxicated or drugged. I seem to recall the Prosecutor being fairly definitive in his reasoning and decision not to pursue the case.

I don't understand the need for the article to rehash and retrash someone.

I wasn't going to respond but te crap about waiting until Winston was a star is just bullshit. She reported the rape at 3 in the am or the next morning and she didn't ID Winston until months later when she saw him I campus. You could argue she got a better lawyer maybe after she realized who her attacker was but bottom line - she reported the crime immediately. And the police ran a negligent "investigation" - and I use that word loosely not because of who Winston was but because it involved 3 football players. The po po did not want to know who it was.

It also mentioned the lead "investigator" made significant outside cash working "security" for the boosters so he could have been highly motivated to look the other way

Regardless he had access to beaucoup de materials and uncovered none of them. He could have found the cab driver. He sent an email requesting the driver step forward. He could have gone over the tape from the 30 cameras at the bar. 30. He didn't. He had a first name of a football player "chris" and didn't figure out that narrowed itcdownctoca handful of guys. And that guy still has a job as of today

The saddest thing about all this is that this will just discourage other women from reporting rapes.
Perhaps, but it also seems like this kind of negative publicity is what drives institutions to change. Hopefully this will scare other schools into improving their procedures.

No Surprise, Jameis Winston investigation totally mishandled

If she did, the article didn't go into that. But the article is pretty convincing that there was evidence out there to collect, and that the police didn't want to collect it. That doesn't mean Winston is guilty, because the evidence could have shown otherwise. But it means that the police didn't want to know if Winston was guilty.

This is what I took from it as well

I didn't just decide to make up a new subset of rape allegations only pertaining celebrities or athletes and move the goalposts. The fact remains that in the grand scheme of all rapes (we shouldn't break them into subgroups, IMO) that so few reports are lies that it barely deserves a mention. There are exceptions that prove nearly every rule, afterall, but we don't then say because those exceptions exist that we need to start questioning the rule itself.

Also, Wilson wasn't famous when this incident took place, so I highly doubt the person's accusation of rape was to "cash in" on anything. I won't say Wilson is guilty, nor will I say he is innocent because we will never know because the TPD botched the case. And if they allowed past news stories to stop them from investigating a rape allegation then they should be fired on the spot.

I don't think you can look at the Winston case and not take into account the subset of celebrity rape allegations.

And people at FSU have known about the kid since he stepped on campus. He wasn't known to the nation, but he was known in Tallahassee. I mean, isn't part of the problem being alleged here is that this was swept under the rug by FSU because he was a high-profile recruit and player? We can't say that he was just that and then turn around and say that he wasn't and therefore the girl's allegations carry more weight.

I don't know what happened. I do know that the police reports I read did not justify pressing charges. Once a kid claims consensual sex, that's a bit tough to counter absent physical evidence of or witnesses to a violent sexual encounter.

They didn't even know it was Winston at first, as the girl didn't know his name until months later. That leads me to believe that she wasn't just trying to go after a big name on campus.

Back