• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

James Johnson - You Had me at hello

such a self indulgent piece. why do bloggers do this?

James looks trim. Good to see him finally have the body of an effective SF.

Took forever for that article to get tothe point. But good stuff.

He's turned himself in to a real nice perimeter defender

I just liked the two gifs where JJ waves Mike Conley off and takes it at Kawhii - a really crazy stupid move, but ...

"No one knows what will happen next. Within the previous statement, the exhilaration and terror of being alive is held. "

lolz

I didnt know Lennox Rawlings had a Grizzlies blog.

Surprised Wellman hasn't banned JJ from the Joel b/c of his straight thug-style basketball game. Did you see that shot the other night? He chose to take a wide open dunk down the middle rather than pass to a man in the corner....

Surprised Wellman hasn't banned JJ from the Joel b/c of his straight thug-style basketball game. Did you see that shot the other night? He chose to take a wide open dunk down the middle rather than pass to a man in the corner....

The neck tattoo alone should do the trick.

It could last. He's a 6'8" small forward that can handle the ball and protect the rim on D. His D league stint allowed him to let it out and he's continued to play that way for Memphis. Now, he just needs to get a bit smarter and know when to take a 3 off a steal (like he did against the Spurs and probably shouldn't have) and when he's at an advantage and when his teammates are. That is his weakness IMO. But Memphis is/was desperate for athleticism and got it in spades. Without Gasol they literally had nobody who could protect the rim against anyone but guards.

We may look back at this moment as the good times, the nearly perfect sliver of time when, if the story had just ended there, it would unfurl into a happy unseen future, like Celine dancing to Nina Simone's "Just In Time" as the camera fades to black. But that's the thing with time. And with James Johnson. Neither are gonna stop. Both will continue to make things happen.

This is my favorite paragraph...

From Zach Lowe's article today:
http://grantland.com/features/the-resurrection-of-the-dallas-mavericks/
"3. The James Johnson show

Umm … holy crap. This dude, plucked off the D-League scrap heap, is doing everything for the resurgent Grizz. There is exactly one player in the league who has assisted on at least 20 percent of his team’s buckets while on the floor, grabbed at least 10 percent of available rebounds, and blocked at least 5 percent of opponent shots. That player is James Johnson.

The guy is blocking jumpers on the perimeter like he’s Anthony Davis or something. Johnson always flirts with being completely out of control, which is why he’s so mesmerizing-slash-terrifying to watch. But he gets out of control because he knows he’s good enough to do crazy things, and the ratio of crazy James Johnson good things to crazy James Johnson bad things has worked wildly in the Grizzlies’ favor.

This probably won’t last, at least at this level, but between the play of Johnson and Courtney Lee, the Grizz will have some interesting choices to make on the wing when Tony Allen gets back."

He's apparently a must start in fantasy now. He's just filling up the stat sheet when he's out there.

Johnson always flirts with being completely out of control, which is why he’s so mesmerizing-slash-terrifying to watch. But he gets out of control because he knows he’s good enough to do crazy things, and the ratio of crazy James Johnson good things to crazy James Johnson bad things has worked wildly in the Grizzlies’ favor.

Love it.

Trying to offset the ridiculous character assassination of Mr. Johnson by bkf in the lengthy thread that was started by Moonz? I'm sure JJ would be more than happy to break some "boards of truth" in bkf's face to exemplify how disciplined a black-belt in karate can certainly be when he decides to apply himself.

And does anyone know if JJ was politely asked to not entertain furthering his Wake education going forward during the summer time? I wouldn't be surprise if JJ decides to work towards getting his degree at some point, even if it is at a different institution closer to where he plays.

Back