• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

James Johnson - You Had me at hello

I love me some JJ. Hope he gets paid this offseason. I get the feeling Hollinger will be an advocate for him since he shows up so well on advanced metrics.

Trying to offset the ridiculous character assassination of Mr. Johnson by bkf in the lengthy thread that was started by Moonz? I'm sure JJ would be more than happy to break some "boards of truth" in bkf's face to exemplify how disciplined a black-belt in karate can certainly be when he decides to apply himself.

And does anyone know if JJ was politely asked to not entertain furthering his Wake education going forward during the summer time? I wouldn't be surprise if JJ decides to work towards getting his degree at some point, even if it is at a different institution closer to where he plays.

I think he stays pretty busy with family and player development with the Grizzlies right now. After the season I wouldn't be too surprised to see him continue his education, though.

People that continuously bash JJ for the culture crap are just pathetic.

I hope for his sake he does finish out at Wake.

Can anyone "close" to the program confirm that he has taken summer classes at some point or intends to?

certainly not close to the program, but based on my undergrad basement days spent with JJ, a degree from WFU is not on his radar..

Another article on JJ - Fit Like A Glove: The Resurgence of James Johnson

One of the ways Johnson has been so effective is by complimenting the Grizzlies’ moderately sized three by using his strength, athleticism and speed in off-ball situations, cutting to the basket, putting back offensive rebounds, leaking out in transition and showing off his improved spot-up jumper. In the 19 games Johnson has played with Memphis, he’s posted the best on-court net rating (+5.9) of Grizzlies who have been given more than 300 minutes, per NBA.com, and as a team, they’ve been better on both ends of the court with him playing one of the wings. All of this has led to Johnson having the best season of his career, posting averages of 8.3 points, 4.6 rebounds, 3.1 assists, 1.7 blocks and 1.4 steals in just 22.9 minutes per game.

NBA media is James Johnson crazy. Another article today from Grantland, my favorite so far- They Call Him Bloodsport: James Johnson Kicks His Way Into the NBA

For Johnson, martial arts are an heirloom; basketball is his labor of love. Just as he couldn’t keep his two loves from cross-pollinating, he couldn’t keep his history of (organized and regulated!) violence from following him every step of his basketball career. He accepted an offer to attend Wake Forest in 2006 alongside fellow blue chipper Jeff Teague. A year later, Chris Paul invited the two to his house in North Carolina. There, he prodded Johnson about his alleged martial arts prowess. Johnson talked about the skepticism so many people express about his talents. It usually sounds something like this: “Oh, you’re 6-7, 6-8, and you’re a martial artist? Well, let me see something. I bet you can’t kick my face.”

A millimeter, a centimeter, an inch or two — that was all that stood between Paul and certain decapitation. “I swept it by his face a little bit,” Johnson said, describing a roundhouse kick as nonchalantly as humanly possible. Paul became a believer, but presumably not before seeing his entire life flash before his eyes. Apparently Paul hasn’t brought up the incident, nor does he flinch when he sees Johnson on the court. “He knows there’s nothing to be worried about,” Johnson said.

The following year, James, then a member of the Toronto Raptors, was presented a challenge. Three balls were lodged in the nets during a practice. Ed Davis and Jerryd Bayless struck upon the brilliant idea of having Johnson knock the balls loose with his feet. He accepted and aimed a spinning heel kick right at the rim. His foot hit rim while dislodging the balls. He’s 6-foot-8, nearly 250 pounds, built like a bear on a juice cleanse. There is no footage of this, and unless you’ve spent an entire childhood mastering the ins and outs of Street Fighter II, your imagination will almost certainly fall short rendering it.

Last edited:
"bloodsport", haha fuck yes. JJ is such a bawse

Sent from my C6606 using Tapatalk

hE84526A8

"He’s 6-foot-8, nearly 250 pounds, built like a bear on a juice cleanse. There is no footage of this, and unless you’ve spent an entire childhood mastering the ins and outs of Street Fighter II, your imagination will almost certainly fall short rendering it."

This is flat out brilliant.

Started Watching POR-MEM cause its the best game of the night, JJ just had a followup dunk that should be a top 10 play. That was SILLY

Back