• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jamie Newman Fan Club (No more Seinfield references, we've reached our limit)

I know there is a low chance of this happening, but it would be really great for Newman to get the job and play (like this) enough next season to allow Hartman a red shirt year. I thought freshman Hartman was more advanced than freshman Wolford, and would love to give him another year to develop in this offense and get stronger, and then have potentially 3 years with him at the helm.

Right. I like that possibility in thinking. Also, Hartman could play in 4 games if Newman is dinged up some, and still redshirt.

I know there is a low chance of this happening, but it would be really great for Newman to get the job and play (like this) enough next season to allow Hartman a red shirt year. I thought freshman Hartman was more advanced than freshman Wolford, and would love to give him another year to develop in this offense and get stronger, and then have potentially 3 years with him at the helm.

That depends on keeping Hinton.

That depends on keeping Hinton.

Also depends on how good the incoming freshman QB looks in the summer. In order to allow Hartman to redshirt without Hinton playing QB, Wake would need at least nine games from a healthy, effective Newman with maybe a little help from the incoming freshman QB.

Things can change, but reading the tea leaves, don't think that Hinton is coming back.

Things can change, but reading the tea leaves, don't think that Hinton is coming back.

I’m want Hinton to stay. If he doesn’t, he needs to go somewhere like WSSU and put up Heisman numbers. The guy is absolutely electric

I’m want Hinton to stay. If he doesn’t, he needs to go somewhere like WSSU and put up Heisman numbers. The guy is absolutely electric

Agreed, it would be great if he stayed. But I think he's gone.

Hartman was the starter game 1 because he was healthy and not suspended.

Numbers has a lot of trash takes.

ETA: This is going to be controversial, but whatever. I feel like this board is especially hard on non-white quarterbacks in terms of small sample size critical takes in relation to their white counterparts.

Last edited:
To predict who starts in 2019, still have to observe his play in bowl game which will be a B plus or higher, imo.

Also depends on how good the incoming freshman QB looks in the summer. In order to allow Hartman to redshirt without Hinton playing QB, Wake would need at least nine games from a healthy, effective Newman with maybe a little help from the incoming freshman QB.

The incoming freshman QB is a project, who needs to put on at least 20 lbs before he even thinks about stepping on the field. Hinton is most likely gone, and no idea whats up with Bowers. Remember, Sam can still play 4 games next year and be a redshirt. That would seem ideal to me if the coaches intend to start Newman. Play Sam when needed and use someone else for mop up duty.

Most likely both will get considerable playing time no matter who starts. It would be great to redshirt Hartman but that’s not likely.

I think we know where Bowers stands given that he’s behind a walk on.

It's not tough to play your backup QB four games or fewer assuming no major injuries. Until Hartman's injury, Newman and Hinton combined to play in three games (ND, Rice, Clemson), all in garbage time. No reason you couldn't play Bowers or Considine (who did play against Clemson) in those situations.

Hell, we could have done that this year (played Bowers in the above blowouts) and played Newman after Hartman's injury and still had Newman only play four games total (NC State, Pitt, Duke, bowl game).

The challenge isn't the logistics of keeping it to four games, the challenge is the management of personalities and balancing scholarships.

The unknown around how Hartman would react to being asked to redshirt after being the Game 1 starter as a true freshman

Basically, prepare to hear this phrase often from Clawson: "We have to keep quarterback a competitive position."

Obviously that can change over the next 9 months. But the sense now is that the spring, summer and fall will be a prolonged QB battle.

The unknown around how Hartman would react to being asked to redshirt after being the Game 1 starter as a true freshman

Well, it's only relevant if Hartman isn't going to start, which seems like it would be a bigger deal. If he's not going to be the starter, seems like there would be little issue with trying to preserve a year of his eligibility. If he's upset being benched after being the Game 1 starter as a true freshman, it's a bigger problem.

Newman is our QB . end of story. Practice is shit. Went on the road and beat two in state rivals favored to beat us. Big and durable. Not a close call.

QB's want to play and there is only enough playing time available to keep 1 happy. After both have tasted success (and put it on tape), it is more than likely that one will end up transferring. I hope not, but you can't blame them if they do - which ever loses the competition will destined to be a backup for 2 more years.

BTW - let me take this opportunity to retract my earlier comment about Jamie's accuracy. He made some great and accurate throws vs Duke. I hope he keeps developing from here\.

If Hartman wants to redshirt, he could play in four games, sit one more year before Newman and start for two seasons. We seem to forget that most QBs only start for 2 maybe 3 years.

Back