• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jamie Newman Fan Club (No more Seinfield references, we've reached our limit)

Slow your roll on Jamie - think Cam, not Aaron Rodgers. He is big, can run it and stand in the pocket. He has a big arm and throws a pretty deep ball, but not unlike Hinton - he struggles at times with quick decision making and accuracy.
He played a great game and I’m very glad we have him. I hope he continues to develop, but don’t build up an image the kid can never live up to. Let’s see how Pitt and duke go, before we start the Newman for heisman thread.

Remember when Cam won the Heisman and the National Championship and Aaron Rodgers never did ?

Lol, is brasky the oldest youth or the youngest OWG?

It really is hard to tell at times. Being an 8th grade teacher makes me feel young and old at the same time. Its a real tough balance between wanting to be relatable and fun, and simultaneously hating everything they like.

Don't know if you have any kids yet, but if you do and particularly if you have a son get him involved in tennis, golf and swimming as soon as he can walk. And by all means keep him as far away from the basketball court and gridiron as possible. In fact, buy him a flute and groom him for the marching band.

Sports my futuristic children are NOT allowed to play:
Golf - WASPy lame
Tennis - super WASPy lame
Hockey - too much travel, expenses, also sneaky lame
Basketball - I've coached enough MS basketball (conference champion coach here, so respect the ring) to realize how miserable AAU parents and coaches are, and girls basketball is just horrible and I hope President Trump bans it

Sports they are allowed to play with stipulations:
Baseball - with the hope that they'll lose interest by the age of 10 like everyone else their age who's parent doesn't drive a 4X4 and vote Trump
Football - because its going to be a flag 7 on 7 game in a decade, but with my genetics they'll definitely never be big and fast enough to succeed, so they'll probably quit that too
Swimming - But only summer league/school, I'm not taking them to 4 am travel team practice.

Sports they are allowed to play:
Soccer - best sport, duh
Track/CC - You wanna practice? Take a lap around the neighborhood.

Last edited:
When he decided to come to Wake I thought he must know what he was doing because he had a lot of well recognized talent and potentially tremendous upside coming out of Graham High. He could have picked an easier path and didn’t. Whatever happens, I hope he gets a shot going forward to continue to represent the humility he displayed after the State game especially after successful days on the gridiron.

When he decided to come to Wake I thought he must know what he was doing because he had a lot of well recognized talent and potentially tremendous upside coming out of Graham High. He could have picked an easier path and didn’t. Whatever happens, I hope he gets a shot going forward to continue to represent the humility he displayed after the State game especially after successful days on the gridiron.

He has paid his dues not just at WF, but in high school as well.

Jamie Newman posted the highest efficiency rating for a QB making his career start since Norm Snead against Maryland in 1958 with Newman rating 172.27 and Snead 203.33 according to WF Sports.

THE DRIVE at Wake was in 1970 versus UNC at Groves Stadium which led to winning the ACC Championship. We went about 90 yards in a little less than two minutes with virtually no passing attack. A shovel pass won the game.

Technical correction: Shovel pass to win the game and the ACC Championship was a month later against NCSU. The Drive was incredible, beginning with a climbing the ladder catch on 4th and 12 I think from about our 7.

Wasn't there supposed to be some controversy over whether he crossed the plane for the winning TD? The replay they showed for the "great moments in the 50 years of BB&T field" at the Cuse game looked like there was no question he got in.

UNC mildly complained there should have been a penalty for “assisting the runner” because Hopkins allegedly blasted Russell in the back to complete his crossing the goal line. Russell scramble a play or two before to get the ball to the 1 still the most unforgettable play ever in Groves, 1 above Alphonso’s 100 yard pic 6.

It really is hard to tell at times. Being an 8th grade teacher makes me feel young and old at the same time. Its a real tough balance between wanting to be relatable and fun, and simultaneously hating everything they like.

Golf - WASPy lame
Basketball - I've coached enough MS basketball (conference champion coach here, so respect the ring) to realize how miserable AAU parents and coaches are, and girls basketball is just horrible and I hope President Trump bans it

Baseball - with the hope that they'll lose interest by the age of 10 like everyone else their age who's parent doesn't drive a 4X4 and vote Trump
Football - because its going to be a flag 7 on 7 game in a decade, but with my genetics they'll definitely never be big and fast enough to succeed, so they'll probably quit that too
Swimming - But only summer league/school, I'm not taking them to 4 am travel team practice.

Soccer - best sport, duh

Soccer? You want your kids to grow up to be flailing, crying pussies?

Soccer? You want your kids to grow up to be flailing, crying pussies?

Sadly every sport is full of failing, crying pussies these days. At least with soccer I'd actually enjoy watching them play it. And the parents are generally ignorant enough about the sport to not to be completely unbearable, which is a plus.

Sadly every sport is full of failing, crying pussies these days. At least with soccer I'd actually enjoy watching them play it. And the parents are generally ignorant enough about the sport to not to be completely unbearable, which is a plus.

You're in for a rude awakening in five years regarding the parents.

Back to the thread topic though, really looking forward to the Jamie Newman era. Really hope we continue to recruit this type of athlete, not a bunch of midgets who's recruitment is designed to make the current student body feel better about themselves.

Last edited:
Newman named a Manning Award Star of the Week. He's one of 8 named each week. Fans select one to by the QB of the week.

Vote on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram. Links are here: https://allstatesugarbowl.org/manning-award-stars-week-11/

Newman has 56 likes on Facebook. The Boise State QB has 658. Get to it.

Golf - WASPy lame

Soccer - best sport, duh

Well said. Track is the clear winner here.

Curious about rowing, too. Practice is often indoors, right?

Back