• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jamie Newman Fan Club (No more Seinfield references, we've reached our limit)

Everybody in the stadium knew what the plays were going to be. Didn't matter. The baby blue couldn't stop the Larry and Larry show. Larry Russell made all the right reads on the drive and Larry Hopkins (now MD- that is medical doctor) just would not be stopped.

Don't forget Kenny Garrett.

Last edited:
That rocked. I thought after he gunned that first past over Washington's head by like 20 yards he might be in for a long night.

Dude is an absolute beast, though. I loved him leaving the shoulder in a few times on the rusher after he handed it off.

Our defense also played a very solid game last night. Limited a very hyped QB and offense and allowed us a chance to win the game at the end.

IMHO, our defense in week #5 would have given up 50+ points last night.

Our defense also played a very solid game last night. Limited a very hyped QB and offense and allowed us a chance to win the game at the end.

IMHO, our defense in week #5 would have given up 50+ points last night.

Run defense in particular was outstanding. State was way below season average in run game production. Finley got a lot of passing yards between the 20s but the pass defense (and his receivers) limited his passing TDs.

pretty awesome for Newman to have a big game near his hometown too

wasn't able to watch the game, but hope he had a lot of friends and family in attendance

Is it possible that if Jamie keeps it up and wins the qb job next year, that Dave may redshirt Sam putting another year between them?

Is it possible that if Jamie keeps it up and wins the qb job next year, that Dave may redshirt Sam putting another year between them?

I've thought about that too. If this wasn't a one hit wonder by Newman and he stays healthy next year, then redshirting Sam would be a good move. He can still play 4 games, even if he did have to play if Newman would get dinged.

In. He spread the ball around better last night than Hartman had all year. I believe 7 players caught a ball.

Think that is what Claw wants too.

Newman spreading it around was very nice. We have weapons outside of Greg Dortch.

If this team can manage a bowl given all of the sh*t it has had to overcome, it will be just short of a miracle.

Took a big step forward.... and even if we don't make a bowl, being there last night for me was every bit as much fun (moreso given the conference opponent??) as the Belk Bowl!
#wakeownsstate

[OTE=RJKarl;3194347]THE DRIVE at Wake was in 1970 versus UNC at Groves Stadium which led to winning the ACC Championship. We went about 90 yards in a little
less than two minutes with virtually no passing attack. A shovel pass won the game.[/QUOTE]),

I was there. Larry Hopkins was a great contributor in that drive too. (posted before I saw the other comments about LH and team)Y

Will add, the big play of game, was a 3rd and long from our 13 yd line, time running out. EVERYONE knew a pass coming, but we ran a draw and Hopkins went for long
yards ( maybe 70 or more - long time ago). We got into EZ just before time expired. Extra point was not as automatic back then, but good!! My wife's UNC cousins .attending game, so effusive heading into stadium, not seen afterwards..

Last edited:
Yes, I was there. Larry Hopkins was a great contributor in that drive too.

Wasn't there supposed to be some controversy over whether he crossed the plane for the winning TD? The replay they showed for the "great moments in the 50 years of BB&T field" at the Cuse game looked like there was no question he got in.

I've thought about that too. If this wasn't a one hit wonder by Newman and he stays healthy next year, then redshirting Sam would be a good move. He can still play 4 games, even if he did have to play if Newman would get dinged.

this was my thought immediately after that last drive...damn Newman needs to be our starter and Hartman needs to redshirt next year. Best for everyone involved I believe. Btw, assuming Kendall Hinton doesn't transfer which is a huge possibility, he could go into next season as our third string QB at best...damn I hope that cheeba was worth it.

Wasn't there supposed to be some controversy over whether he crossed the plane for the winning TD? The replay they showed for the "great moments in the 50 years of BB&T field" at the Cuse game looked like there was no question he got in.

IIRC, UNC coach Bill Dooley claimed that Hopkins was pushed into the end zone, which was illegal at the time.

Here's a flashback on that game: https://wakeforestsports.com/news/2009/7/31/Camp_Countdown_Wake_Stuns_UNC_14_13_1970.aspx

This is pretty much best case scenario.

Assuming Hinton sticks around to be the backup QB. We may need Hartman for more than four games as a backup.

We now have a considerable sample size with QBs under Clawson, and it's apparent that in this system, QBs don't make it through a season without missing time. So, even is Newman is the clear cut starter next year, I don't see Hartman redshirting unless his injury lingers into next season (not expected). Also, agree that with now Newman and Hartman clearly ahead of Hinton the depth chart (and what looks like WF's best receiver recruiting class in history), Hinton may consider his options as a 5th year player next year.

Last edited:

Perhaps so, don't recall. The one I do recall (mostly) was the next? game against NCSU where a forward fumble?? question, to score winning TD, with Larry Russell carry,etc. and ACC championship, may have lead to a future rule change.

We now have a considerable sample size with QBs under Clawson, and it's apparent that in this system, QBs don't make it through a season without missing time. So, even is Newman is the clear cut starter next year, I don't see Hartman redshirting unless his injury lingers into next season (not expected). Also, agree that with now Newman and Hartman clearly ahead of Hinton the depth chart (and what looks like WF's best receiver recruiting class in history), Hinton may consider his options as a 5th year player next year.

Hartman can play 4 games and still redshirt. I'd say if Newman is the starter next year, it is pretty likely he'll end up redshirting barring a bad injury to Newman. Also, we've never had a QB with the size of Newman under Clawson or under Grobe for that matter.

Well this has become quite the bipolar thread. Half of the more recent posts are about what happened years ago, and the other half are about what is going to happen next year.

Last edited:
Back