• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jamie Newman Fan Club (No more Seinfield references, we've reached our limit)

^^ True, All in the afterglow of a great night in our football history.

Let's add another wrinkle. Maybe we move Hinton to safety like Chuck Wade this year? Kid seems to have a good head on his shoulders, overall, and probably realizes DB or WR is his only small chance of a future in football. Or he could want to go try to be "the man" at a Group of 5 or FCS school.

Jamie Newman's QB rating last night was 172.3.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/jamie-newman-1/gamelog/2018/

That's 0.1 higher than Hartman's 172.2 vs. Louisville...
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/sam-hartman-1/gamelog/2018/

...and 0.2 higher than Wolford's 172.1 vs. Syracuse last season.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/john-wolford-1/gamelog/2017/

Here are the top QB ratings in ACC games under Clawson:

244.8 - 2017 Wolford vs. Louisville (28/34, 461 yards, 5 TD)
192.7 - 2016 Wolford vs. Virginia (9/10, 83 yards, 1 TD, 94 yards rushing, 1 rush TD)
172.3 - 2018 Newman at State (22/33, 297 yards, 3 TD)
172.2 - 2018 Hartman at Louisville (16/24, 223 yards, 2 TD)
172.1 - 2017 Wolford at Syracuse (25/38, 363 yards, 3 TD, 136 yards rushing, 3 rush TD)

We need at least two good QBs in this system. Either Hinton becomes the back up and we redshirt Hartman or Hinton transfers and we see how ell Newman holds up

I really like Hartman's grit and mental toughness. However, not sure what he offers that is superior to Newman. Jamie was slow in decision-making last night; but he was starting his 1st game and that on the road versus the #14 team in the nation. Newman was more accurate on virtually all his throws but especially the deep balls. And he has the advantage of being able to see over rushing linemen and being large enough to take and deliver punishment. Hard to see Hartman's advantage; but, it was just one game for Newman.

"The Drive" by Skinner vs Ole Miss, Price's 4th Q drive vs unc and now Jamie Newman with 90 seconds and no timeouts vs State.

Newman's might be the best one yet. It deserves it's own name.
Don't forget Skinner's drive against duke in his first start. That drive, and the field goal block by Chip Vaughn that immediately followed it, spurred us on to the greatest season in wake football history.

Also a backup in his first start.

Really excited to see how Newman progresses over next 2 games. Think coaches started conservative vs NCS trying to run it to get him in flow but now can really open the book from play 1 since he clearly has gained confidence. Assuming he continues similar play he is no doubt #1 next year as Hartman was only good against bad Ds and generally struggled against any D that wasn’t bottom 25%. Newman comes in on the road against a good D and looks like a vet. Plus as mentioned his size and running ability are clear advantages. Should be a great offseason of competition.

Newman should be able to move past Sour Patch Kids on to Kit Kats and Snickers.

Really excited to see how Newman progresses over next 2 games. Think coaches started conservative vs NCS trying to run it to get him in flow but now can really open the book from play 1 since he clearly has gained confidence. Assuming he continues similar play he is no doubt #1 next year as Hartman was only good against bad Ds and generally struggled against any D that wasn’t bottom 25%. Newman comes in on the road against a good D and looks like a vet. Plus as mentioned his size and running ability are clear advantages. Should be a great offseason of competition.

NC State is 129 out of 130 in passing defense yards per game (Wake is 121). Louisville is 22nd

Newman was great in his 1st start! Hartman was one of the top 5 freshmen QB in America this year.
Both can be accurate, denigrating Hartman is just moronic. We have two really good QBs potentially, enjoy it.

Newman scene that encapsulates some Wake fans:

Newman: Take it or leave it!? We got *Al Jolson* here, *Al Jolson*!!
Ron: Now what the Hell do I care about Al Jolson. I'd just assume here you sing "Mammy". Heh heh heh...
Kramer: [In Newman's ear] This guy's nothin' but a piece of crap...
Newman: You are nothing but a piece of crap.
Ron: Pardon me?
Kramer: [In Newman's ear] A piece of crap...
Newman: A piece of crap.
Kramer: [In Newman's ear] I find you extremely ugly...
Newman: I find you extremely ugly.

Quit trying to turn Sam into Al Jolson.

Newman was great in his 1st start! Hartman was one of the top 5 freshmen QB in America this year.
Both can be accurate, denigrating Hartman is just moronic. We have two really good QBs potentially, enjoy it.

Newman scene that encapsulates some Wake fans:

Newman: Take it or leave it!? We got *Al Jolson* here, *Al Jolson*!!
Ron: Now what the Hell do I care about Al Jolson. I'd just assume here you sing "Mammy". Heh heh heh...
Kramer: [In Newman's ear] This guy's nothin' but a piece of crap...
Newman: You are nothing but a piece of crap.
Ron: Pardon me?
Kramer: [In Newman's ear] A piece of crap...
Newman: A piece of crap.
Kramer: [In Newman's ear] I find you extremely ugly...
Newman: I find you extremely ugly.

Quit trying to turn Sam into Al Jolson.

Read the thread title bro.

As to Hartman, he would of got murdered and played scared Thursday night. It’s not his fault that he’s 170 lbs soaking wet, but it’s just not what works in this system. Unlike the rest of you scrappy white kid lovers I don’t wait until midway through his senior year for it “to click” for five games before finishing the season with a disappointing loss to Duke. We need to move on from the Skinner/Price/Wolford/Hartman protype.

We’ll never recruit a top tier O-line, so we need a QB who can handle himself under pressure. Newman did that on Thursday

^ *I don't want to wait

Edit function not working

Hey old, spend less time learning the lexicon of the hip generation (“bro”) and learn how an edit button works.

Newman in, Hartman in, any QB in who wins Wake games.

NC State is 129 out of 130 in passing defense yards per game (Wake is 121). Louisville is 22nd

Wow! Shocked a top 20 team would have such a bad D. Definitely tempers my enthusiasm on Newman, but know our last 2 games have Ds that have been allowing points.

Louisville ranking is very deceiving. That is only because their rush D is so horrific giving up 300 yds/game that u don’t have to throw it much when gaining 8 yds per carry. There D has to be the overall worse and why Petrino is now unemployed.

Read the thread title bro.

As to Hartman, he would of got murdered and played scared Thursday night. It’s not his fault that he’s 170 lbs soaking wet, but it’s just not what works in this system. Unlike the rest of you scrappy white kid lovers I don’t wait until midway through his senior year for it “to click” for five games before finishing the season with a disappointing loss to Duke. We need to move on from the Skinner/Price/Wolford/Hartman protype.

We’ll never recruit a top tier O-line, so we need a QB who can handle himself under pressure. Newman did that on Thursday

Don't know if you have any kids yet, but if you do and particularly if you have a son get him involved in tennis, golf and swimming as soon as he can walk. And by all means keep him as far away from the basketball court and gridiron as possible. In fact, buy him a flute and groom him for the marching band.

Back