• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jamie Newman vs. Utah State 401 passing yards, #9 all time

When we got the ball back late needing a TD, my first thought was, Well, we’ve been here before.

Yep. The end of this game was similar to the State game last year.
Needed a score at the end to win it........and got it.

When we got the ball back late needing a TD, my first thought was, Well, we’ve been here before.

Me too, I actually had a feeling of confidence knowing Jamie had been there done that. I mean eventually he won’t be able to pull it off if we keep putting him in that position, but we know we’ve got a guy capable of doing it.

To put this in Wake perspective, one of the years I was at Wake the leading receiver had something like 13 catches for the entire season. :)

5 games started. 3 game winning drives against bowl quality teams.

They were afraid the ball would bounce off their leather helmets or break their noses without face masks.

No picks by Newman is why we won. The Heisman candidate beat his team with three picks.

It's hard to wrap your head around how poised and composed Jamie Newman has been with such little prior experience. He never had a game-winning drive before the game in Raleigh.

So, when players like Kendall Hinton and Justin Strnad were swept up in the emotional rollercoaster of the final few minutes, Newman was again calm, cool, collected: https://www.journalnow.com/sports/t...cle_63413add-542d-5abd-b9a1-a9bd0d6729dd.html

Pretty sure the State game was Newman’s only time playing in a close game in the 4th quarter.

I can't see how their QB was even in the Top 10 for the Heisman before the season.

Is he even a Top 10 QB? Lawrence, Tua, Hebert, Hurts, Ehlinger, Martinez and Fromm off the top of my head.

Last edited:
I can't see how their QB was even in the Top 10 for the Heisman before the season.

Is he even a Top 10 QB? Lawrence, Tua, Hebert, Hurts, Ehlinger, Martinez and Fromm off the top of my head.

I have a theory that every year, there seems to be a need for at least one West Coast-ish QB who isn't at Oregon or USC to be involved in the early Heisman hype. We didn't know who'd be slinging it around for Leach/Wazzu until a week ago, Khalil Tate at Arizona was underwhelming last year and Love led Utah State to a ton of blowouts and national recognition last year. Just a feeling. I'm pretty loopy at this point. Somebody might need to tell me if that makes sense.

I have a theory that every year, there seems to be a need for at least one West Coast-ish QB who isn't at Oregon or USC to be involved in the early Heisman hype. We didn't know who'd be slinging it around for Leach/Wazzu until a week ago, Khalil Tate at Arizona was underwhelming last year and Love led Utah State to a ton of blowouts and national recognition last year. Just a feeling. I'm pretty loopy at this point. Somebody might need to tell me if that makes sense.

I agree. I also think Love is good.

He projects well at the next level and had good stats last year so I guess Utah state just fired up the hype machine.

I agree. I also think Love is good.

Agreed. Not sure I understand all the negative comments about Love. Yes he threw 3 pics, but he has a great arm and gets rid of the ball in 2 seconds, which is why we never got any pressure on him.

Sportsnaut top 15 jaw breaking performances:

Newman came out of Wake Forest’s camp with the starting job in hand and a chance to make a strong impression to start his junior campaign. He put on an even greater offensive clinic than the coaching staff could have imagined.

He stood tall in the pocket and picked Utah State’s secondary apart by completing 34-of-47 passes for 401 passing yards and four total touchdowns. Newman’s shining moment came on a late drive that he finished with a game-winning touchdown pass on fourth down. Let’s hope more greatness is in his future.

Agreed. Not sure I understand all the negative comments about Love. Yes he threw 3 pics, but he has a great arm and gets rid of the ball in 2 seconds, which is why we never got any pressure on him.

My criticisms of Love come with full recognition of his hype as a first rounder. Is he good? Yes, not denying that.

But he should have thrown 5 Ints on Friday against as it stands now, a G5 defense. I also noticed some of his incompletions were grounders and missed some hittable targets. Newman’s misses were “closer” if you will. Definitely a draftable QB but I didn’t see a 1st round talent.

Looking at these stats and remembering..........Rusty was amazing at the end of the 1995 season. He was averaging about 500 yards per game. And to think he ended up playing in the NBA, not the NFL.

Rusty had a better 3 pt jump shot.

Looking at these stats and remembering..........Rusty was amazing at the end of the 1995 season. He was averaging about 500 yards per game. And to think he ended up playing in the NBA, not the NFL.

The craziest thing about the State game where he threw for 545 yards is that after the game he went across the street and played in the hoops exhibition game. That was a great moment.

The craziest thing about the State game where he threw for 545 yards is that after the game he went across the street and played in the hoops exhibition game. That was a great moment.

Good QB on a crappy team.

Back