• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jay Bilas bitchslaps the NCAA

Over the last 20 years, the NBA has taken a significantly larger portion of the top-end talent from NCAA basketball - e.g. 20 years ago, early entries into the draft were rare, now they are much more common place. Nevertheless, college basketball is more popular than ever.

That tells me, the value being created is truly more about the name on the front of the jersey, than the name on the back.

College football fans don't show up and turn on the TV to watch the best football team in world play. Those guys play on Sundays. College fans turn on the games to watch their school compete with other schools to win championships. If the NFL expanded to 50 teams and did away with the early entry rule, NCAA football would lose their top 500 players over the next few years. But 5 five years from now, NCAA football would be just as big as it is today.

This argument ignores the fact that except for the really stellar talents (James, Kobe) almost all NBA players were and continue to be college stars, even if only for one or two seasons. So it's not like the college game is being played by a bunch of schlubs. People want to watch their teams win, not suck. If the back of the jersey doesn't matter, why does the entire fandom obsess over recruiting rankings and who is leaving early?

The second problem with this argument is that even if the NFL did what you describe, the D1 colleges would still have the best available 18-20 year old football players available, not a bunch of untrained schlubs who never played before. There is a point at which the names on the back of the jerseys devalue the program - just look at our basketball team. No offense to those guys (I blame the coach) but everyone knows we have C-level talent and the attendance and TV exposure matches it. We're just lucky we're members of a conference where we get the same cut of the money regardless.

From today's NCAA conference call

Jeremy Fowler ‏@JFowlerCBS 29m
On #NCAA conf call. Wake Forest prez Nathan Hatch: Board of Directors knee deep in "redesigning how division will govern itself" in future

Dan Wolken ‏@DanWolken 31m
Wake Forest's Nathan Hatch says there will be a Div.1-wide dialogue in San Diego about governance. Won't be final decision there.

Dan Wolken ‏@DanWolken 31m
Hatch says August of 2014 is goal to approve any changes to Div. 1. "It's an ambitious timeline."

Andy Staples ‏@Andy_Staples 29m
Listening to this NCAA teleconference. I don't think any of these people are excited as they claim to be about re-ordering divisions.

Jeremy Fowler ‏@JFowlerCBS 28m
Hatch stands by NCAA commitment to amateurism, calls it "correct way."

Dan Wolken ‏@DanWolken 26m
Lou Anna Simon [Michigan St. President] mostly sidestepped a question about Emmert's job security but said he's "an integral part of our process"

Matt Norlander ‏@MattNorlander 25m
Emmert on NCAA selling player merch: "We recognize why that could be seen as hypocritical. … We're going to exit that business immediately."

Mark Schlabach ‏@Mark_Schlabach 26m
NCAA president Mark Emmert says NCAA is out of business of selling individual schools' jerseys and other memorabilia. Called it a "mistake"

Dan Wolken ‏@DanWolken 23m
Emmert says his understanding is NCAA made no money off that online store. Was an aggregator site.

Stewart Mandel ‏@slmandel 21m
To be clear, Emmert is talking specifically about the online store on NCAA's site. Doesn't mean schools won't keep selling jerseys.

923: you might want to research how many athletic programs- across FBS, FCS, DII, III, NAIA, etc- and see just how many are "profitable." The vast majority operate in the red when it comes to revenue generated vs costs. Vast majority.

This topic is causing Doug Gottlieb (@GottliebShow) to have a Twitter meltdown right now

923: you might want to research how many athletic programs- across FBS, FCS, DII, III, NAIA, etc- and see just how many are "profitable." The vast majority operate in the red when it comes to revenue generated vs costs. Vast majority.

I am aware of that, of course. I don't necessarily believe that colleges should have to pay salaries to athletes. I do think the rules prohibiting athletes from profiting off their fame from autographs and so forth are ridiculous and an unjustifiable restriction on fair and free markets.

It should be noted that in many of the schools losing money or barely breaking even on football, there are still coaches and ADs and others making lots of bank. That gets deducted from the "profits". That includes WFU.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Yet many people profit. Weird.

Back