• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jay Wright

Jay Wright isn't leaving Philly.

Villanova is a less appealing job than when it was in the old Big East. But a city guy moving from Philly to W-S seems unlikely.

Last edited:
LET'S! GET! DELUSIONAL!

Wake's the best job, like, um, EVAH! Let's get John Wooden! Let's get Rick Pitino! Let's get Bob Knight! Open the purse strings, Ron! Make it happen!!!!!!

Villanova is a less appealing job than when it was in the old Big East. But a city guy moving from Philly to W-S seems unlikely.

He went to college at Bucknell, that makes Winston look like NYC.

And apparently no one actually knows were 'nova is, as it is not in Philly. It on the main line in suburbia. Nova is not a city school.

It's also about his wife. She apparently was opposed to going to KY as well.

If there's a chance in hell, he'd easily be my #2 behind Shaka.

Hell no one thought Buzz would go to VT.

He went to college at Bucknell, that makes Winston look like NYC.

And apparently no one actually knows were 'nova is, as it is not in Philly. It on the main line in suburbia. Nova is not a city school.
Semantics. It's 10 miles from downtown Philly. If someone is drawn to the Philly area, being 10 miles to the west is not going to change their stance on the school. Even if he worked at Temple or UPenn, I wouldn't think he'd live downtown.

Wake is further from city Philly than Nova.

#sources

I said on another thread that there was no way Jay would leave Nova. However the falling apart of the Big East would be a major reason to leave. The man is a great coach & recruiter and to me would be a huge get. Duke would certainly be jealous if we got him as I always figured that'd go after him once K stepped down.

Perhaps Tony Chenault can put in a good word for us.

Semantics. It's 10 miles from downtown Philly. If someone is drawn to the Philly area, being 10 miles to the west is not going to change their stance on the school. Even if he worked at Temple or UPenn, I wouldn't think he'd live downtown.

I lived on the mainline and we did not consider ourselves in Philly. It's not like Temple or St. Joe's. My point is being at Nova doesn't make him a 'city guy'. Now having access to a big city might be an issue, but there is a big difference from working and/or living in the city than being in the burbs.

And if he was such a 'city guy' there is no way he winds up at Bucknell, it's more remote than Happy Valley.

All I would take out of this is that he's probably better qualified than most coaches to understand the location differences between Wake and Nova.

I lived on the mainline and we did not consider ourselves in Philly. It's not like Temple or St. Joe's. My point is being at Nova doesn't make him a 'city guy'. Now having access to a big city might be an issue, but there is a big difference from working and/or living in the city than being in the burbs.

And if he was such a 'city guy' there is no way he winds up at Bucknell, it's more remote than Happy Valley.

All I would take out of this is that he's probably better qualified than most coaches to understand the location differences between Wake and Nova.

Good God, do you realize what a Butthead you sound like?

Biff, 83's points were perfectly valid. Does being right make him a butthead?

Anyway, Philly is no Garden of Eden. It's basically another dying east coast city living on its past. In 20 years, it's Detroit. I would have no hesitation to get out if I were him (though the Dash would not be my first choice but neither would most other places that have good D1 job openings). And, do you know where Jay's first college coaching gig was (as an assistant, of course)? University of Rochester. Have you been to Rochester? (I have, because one of my kids goes there.) It's a great school, but they get over 10 feet of snow per year. It's routinely below zero there. Snow starts in October and it often snows in April.

So, I'm pretty sure location in a nice southern town is not going to be an overwhelming problem in getting Wright to Wake. W-S is not great but it has its advantages, especially if you are making $2.5mm per year.

The ACC is a different animal now. So is the Big East. Forget about four years ago. It's not relevant. Buzz Miller went to VT. Did BSD see that one coming? I sure as hell didn't.

True that. ANything 4 years ago is not at all relevant today. It is a whole new ballgame with all this realignment and new TV contracts.

Side note: I also believe Skip and Jay were very good friends.

Back