• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jeff Battle and Providence?

This is some shitty news. Not a good sign when a top assistant is possibly leaving after one year for a downward move.

And I did my aprt neg repping bzz > skip, whoever the guy is.

Now Buzz will have no trouble staying away from those big bad five star recruits and can focus all his efforts on correct sock wearing gym rats

From the article linked:

Battle is a talent identifier, a man who can find and unleash hidden strengths in underrecruited kids while maximizing the abilities of blue chips.

Last edited:
Not sure why he would go, it would only be the same position he has currently, its not like he's accepting their head coaching job. I'd be surprised if he accepts

An assistant with a fantastic reputation and a 16 year old son leaves to take a worse job? Unless there is major behind the scenes stuff we aren't aware of, I don't buy it.

I did my part to NGArep the terrible username.

On topic though, this would be very disappointing. Don't go Battle :(

Not sure why he would go, it would only be the same position he has currently, its not like he's accepting their head coaching job. I'd be surprised if he accepts

It would be a very bad sign. One that may signal that we need to start over.

Let's hope the talks aren't serious

If he takes the same position somewhere like this then either he's having trouble with Bz or it's a job security move.

neither of those options are good, why would he be worried about job security?

There's a sizable faction in our fanbase that wants Bz gone ASAP. Seriously doubt any staff would be retained if Bz gets fired.

I think a fifth grader could have handled the coaching search better than Wellman.

There's a sizable faction in our fanbase that wants Bz gone ASAP. Seriously doubt any staff would be retained if Bz gets fired.

You don't think Battle would get a look for the HC spot?

Wasn't he supposed to be the frontrunner after skip passed?

Dear Coach Battle,

Go to Providence.

Seriously. Interview for the job, accept the position, pick out a nice suit and start practicing to look surprised when the PA announces your name in November.

I mean, what’s there to lose?

Sure, some of the Wake fans will implore you to consider your legacy as a Deacon, to remember the history of the great Wake coaches before you who went on to successful careers. They’ll probably name drop the likes of Skip Prosser, Dave Odom, and Bones McKinney, all guys who won ACC tournament or regular season titles in their noteworthy careers. Don’t follow in the footsteps of Bob Staak, you’ll be warned; he made the wise decision to leave Wake after his fourth year, and use the move as a stepping stone to an illustrious career as a used car salesman. Don’t let those comparisons get you down, though, even if Staak did get the privilege of watching from the sidelines as his former colleagues celebrated an ACC championship.

Plus, sticking around and winning a fifth ACC title for the Demon Deacs is just selfish, even if you haven’t ever won one yourself. Think about it: the Joel is already full of ACC championship banners, and adding one of your own would ruin the symmetry in the rafters. Sure, you’ll give up your chance to be remembered as one of Wake's all-time greatest basketball coaches, but I bet if you asked Dave Odom, he would tell you that fans don’t remember collegiate legacies anyway. Well, at least until he tries to visit Butler, where his likeness is still routinely hailed as the man who resurrected their program.

And if you’re still not convinced, remember that if you go to Providence, you might not even have to coach next year! Who really wants to coach, anyway? Sure, you won’t get paid any of that major contract that you’d sign as a top assistant, but at least you won’t have to endure the grind of college basketball. Some of those same haters from before will probably call it a wasted season, as Europe will probably be the only place to coach in the interim, but that won’t affect your salary. As long as the assistant salary structure stays the same, that is.

That’s all there is to consider. Rest assured, you’ll never regret leaving [Redacted] after just one year, never wonder what might have been if you stuck around to play with Winston-Salem’s No. 2-ranked recruiting class, which by the way includes your longtime friend and teammate Chase Fischer. It’s really a no-brainer.

I look forward to your announcement, even if you ignore my advice and stay at Wake, er, I mean, go to Providence.

Sincerely,

OGB

It was him or Gaudio, and he took himself out of the running due to family issues.

Losing Battle would hurt immensely.

Dear Coach Battle,

Go to Providence.

Seriously. Interview for the job, accept the position, pick out a nice suit and start practicing to look surprised when the PA announces your name in November.

I mean, what’s there to lose?

Sure, some of the Wake fans will implore you to consider your legacy as a Deacon, to remember the history of the great Wake coaches before you who went on to successful careers. They’ll probably name drop the likes of Skip Prosser, Dave Odom, and Bones McKinney, all guys who won ACC tournament or regular season titles in their noteworthy careers. Don’t follow in the footsteps of Bob Staak, you’ll be warned; he made the wise decision to leave Wake after his fourth year, and use the move as a stepping stone to an illustrious career as a used car salesman. Don’t let those comparisons get you down, though, even if Staak did get the privilege of watching from the sidelines as his former colleagues celebrated an ACC championship.

Plus, sticking around and winning a fifth ACC title for the Demon Deacs is just selfish, even if you haven’t ever won one yourself. Think about it: the Joel is already full of ACC championship banners, and adding one of your own would ruin the symmetry in the rafters. Sure, you’ll give up your chance to be remembered as one of Wake's all-time greatest basketball coaches, but I bet if you asked Dave Odom, he would tell you that fans don’t remember collegiate legacies anyway. Well, at least until he tries to visit Butler, where his likeness is still routinely hailed as the man who resurrected their program.

And if you’re still not convinced, remember that if you go to Providence, you might not even have to coach next year! Who really wants to coach, anyway? Sure, you won’t get paid any of that major contract that you’d sign as a top assistant, but at least you won’t have to endure the grind of college basketball. Some of those same haters from before will probably call it a wasted season, as Europe will probably be the only place to coach in the interim, but that won’t affect your salary. As long as the assistant salary structure stays the same, that is.

That’s all there is to consider. Rest assured, you’ll never regret leaving [Redacted] after just one year, never wonder what might have been if you stuck around to play with Winston-Salem’s No. 2-ranked recruiting class, which by the way includes your longtime friend and teammate Chase Fischer. It’s really a no-brainer.

I look forward to your announcement, even if you ignore my advice and stay at Wake, er, I mean, go to Providence.

Sincerely,

OGB

:bowdown:

I think Battle is a very smart man and sees the dismal future unfolding at Wake. Remember, he has a 16 year old son he has to support and I'm sure loves very dearly. What father wouldn't be looking out for the long-term best interests of his son?

I suspect he wants to get out before the HATCH(ett) falls on the entire crowd.

You don't think Battle would get a look for the HC spot? Not a chance if he's an assistant here when that happens. If he's somewhere else then it's possible.

Wasn't he supposed to be the frontrunner after skip passed?

He was.

Back