• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jim Grobe #5 on hotseat this week

You clearly don't remember the Dooley days. A Bill Dooley team would have lost to Presbyterian and then lost to UL-Whoever by 50.

I remember the Dooley teams very well, I remember we went 7-4, 6-4-1, had 3 losing seasons, then went 8-4 with our first bowl appearance in 13 years. He retired after the bowl game. Dooley had some success here and doesn't get the credit he deserves.

I don't think the argument is how does Grobe stack up in comparison to past coaches...I think it is more an arguemnt of are we getting our money's worth? Wellman's one redeeming quality (redeeming may be too generous of a word) is that he has shown an investment in football facilities and salaries in comparison to past ADs. I just don't think the product equals the investment we have put in at this point.

I don't think the argument is how does Grobe stack up in comparison to past coaches...I think it is more an arguemnt of are we getting our money's worth? Wellman's one redeeming quality (redeeming may be too generous of a word) is that he has shown an investment in football facilities and salaries in comparison to past ADs. I just don't think the product equals the investment we have put in at this point.

Exactly, Grobe will always rank very high when compared to past coaches, but all that matters is now and the future and our program is in bad shape.

What are the chances that when the Grobe era is over that we hire some young first time head coach so that we can at least have an excuse as to why we are struggling? Or do we turn right back around and hire someone who is just like Grobe?

What are the chances that when the Grobe era is over that we hire some young first time head coach so that we can at least have an excuse as to why we are struggling? Or do we turn right back around and hire someone who is just like Grobe?

Who wants excuses, hire the best guy we can get.

Relative to Coach Dooley, he did quietly complain that the Administration was hamstringing him but you have to give him his due- 3 winning seasons in 6 years was very impressive at the time.

Yep. Compare what Grobe did before the big contract and before Deacon Tower to what he has done afterwards. We're getting less return on the field for more spending on salary and facilities.

As far as the next coach, I'd rather spend $500K for a young innovative coordinator with a good track record than a retread for $2M. Some coaches are who they are. Jim Grobe came to Wake as a .500 coach with 2 winning seasons in 6 years. Right now, he's two games under .500 with 5 winning seasons in 12 years. He is what he is.

When Dooley was hired , I spoke with him at a D.C function at the Gov. Mansion West, in Asheville. He said it is a realistic goal at Wake, to win more games than you loose. I still agree.

Yep. Compare what Grobe did before the big contract and before Deacon Tower to what he has done afterwards. We're getting less return on the field for more spending on salary and facilities.

As far as the next coach, I'd rather spend $500K for a young innovative coordinator with a good track record than a retread for $2M. Some coaches are who they are. Jim Grobe came to Wake as a .500 coach with 2 winning seasons in 6 years. Right now, he's two games under .500 with 5 winning seasons in 12 years. He is what he is.

I agree with Ph on the young coach idea. I think Wake would be very attractive for a young up and coming coach...we need someone who is hungry and wants to hit the recruiting trail hard...think of a James Franklin minus the rape scandal. The problem is that Wellman consistently has shown us he will only hire old, non charismatic coaches that will do what he says and that have no fire or hunger. Wellman is the problem. Nothing changes until he goes

I remember the Dooley teams very well, I remember we went 7-4, 6-4-1, had 3 losing seasons, then went 8-4 with our first bowl appearance in 13 years. He retired after the bowl game. Dooley had some success here and doesn't get the credit he deserves.

History shows that it is hard to win at Wake as a football coach. I don't know why some want to minimize coaches that have actually had some degree of success here.

yeah, dooley was good and i got to visit beautiful shreveport

Just hire another Grobe, simple as that. A hungry coach. Grobie has gotten too comfortable but I think he deserves another year w/ a new QB.

Back