• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jim Grobe and the Wake Forest Way

How about the way he has run the Wake Forest program over the past four years?

I took special note of Coach Grobe's comment that "The biggest thing for us is that we are a real frugal academic school."

That might be the case with our recruiting budget, but it certainly isn't the case with the salary for the head coach.

"If you come to Wake Forest, you have to realize that first and foremost you have to be a real frugal student, that you will have to go to real classes and it's going to be tough academically. But then you practice to play the 'Noles, 'Canes and Hokies and those guys. When you're doing that, it's not easy."

Time for the pasture Grobe.

Both uses of frugal by Grobe seem out of place in those quotes.

Grobe is a really good man, he has represented Wake excellently. However, I think he's too loyal to certain staff members and I think he maybe embraces the LOWF thing too much. Sometimes I wish he'd stick his chest out a little bit and talk about how we've been the best program in NC as a whole since he's been here and just show some edge, borderline cockiness. The we're just LOWF trying to compete the best we can, gets overplayed I think. Talk about how there are 2 big state schools another larger private school playing in a BCS conference in NC and yet Wake Forest is the only Big Four to win a conference title since any of the players have been born and how we're the only NC school to play in a BCS bowl. Heck, the big state school in Chapel Hill's football claim to fame in recent football history is claiming an unofficial Coastal Division title last year that they weren't even eligible for. He's accomplished some great things at Wake, but sometimes I almost think he's too humble it and too LOWF about it.

I agree. He keeps talking about how small time we are and seems surprised that recruits consider us small time.

This article makes me more despondent about the future of football program than when I read it. It is litany of tired excuses from the top and a blueprint for failure.

Same old tired LOWF crap that's been spouted for decades. Settle for mediocrity and learn to love it!

Grobe is a really good man, he has represented Wake excellently. However, I think he's too loyal to certain staff members and I think he maybe embraces the LOWF thing too much. Sometimes I wish he'd stick his chest out a little bit and talk about how we've been the best program in NC as a whole since he's been here and just show some edge, borderline cockiness. The we're just LOWF trying to compete the best we can, gets overplayed I think. Talk about how there are 2 big state schools another larger private school playing in a BCS conference in NC and yet Wake Forest is the only Big Four to win a conference title since any of the players have been born and how we're the only NC school to play in a BCS bowl. Heck, the big state school in Chapel Hill's football claim to fame in recent football history is claiming an unofficial Coastal Division title last year that they weren't even eligible for. He's accomplished some great things at Wake, but sometimes I almost think he's too humble it and too LOWF about it.

What is so frustrating to me is that early in his tenure he did have more of an edge. He talked about coming to play every week, making other teams hate to play us, etc. etc. without all the excuses. I want that Jim Grobe back.

I have always liked and supported Jim Grobe. I still like him a great deal. My support of him, however, has lessened over the last 3 seasons due to what appeared to be an absence of passion and resistance to change. Saturday was an unexpected surprise in both areas. Now the question is will this change continue?

I am happy for Grobe to coach Wake as long as he wants IF he is willing to make adjustments to utilize his team's talent in the most effective ways possible and IF he is able to sustain intensity and enthusiasm in the way Wake plays on both sides of the ball. Time will tell.

What is so frustrating to me is that early in his tenure he did have more of an edge. He talked about coming to play every week, making other teams hate to play us, etc. etc. without all the excuses. I want that Jim Grobe back.

That is a good point, we don't seem to hear any of that stuff publically any more. Maybe Wellman told him making statements like playing with your hair on fire, blowing snot bubbles, and wanting other teams to hate you, didn't fit the Wellman culture at Wake Forest???

I have always liked and supported Jim Grobe. I still like him a great deal. My support of him, however, has lessened over the last 3 seasons due to what appeared to be an absence of passion and resistance to change. Saturday was an unexpected surprise in both areas. Now the question is will this change continue?

I am happy for Grobe to coach Wake as long as he wants IF he is willing to make adjustments to utilize his team's talent in the most effective ways possible and IF he is able to sustain intensity and enthusiasm in the way Wake plays on both sides of the ball. Time will tell.

Excellent post and my thoughts 100%. But the media (columnists and talk radio) think that anyone who questions where the program is headed under Grobe is considered "lunatic fringe" for even daring to bring it up.

Every time I read stuff like that, I think back to the Grobe-to-Arkansas saga. I am sure Arkansas is a great place for lots of people, but it would be difficult to find two schools / programs that are more different than Wake and Arkansas - SSSSOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY PPPPPPIIIIIIIGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back