• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jim Grobe and the Wake Forest Way

Grobe definitely had fire in his eyes. Haven't seen that in awhile. I liked it. Let's see if he can keep it up.

Grobe was acting like he was past his prime. He didn't adjust to the disaster of the spring game. He didn't adjust after BC. He didn't adjust the first 58 minutes of ULM. He didn't adjust the first 41 minutes of Army. After the NCSU, I hope he doesn't adjust. Do what works!!!

Exactly - hell, even Tanner said it to Dan Collins. Price was a completely different QB - when allowed to play to his TALENTS! I swear this coaching staff overthinks everything:

"With what we did offensively, a lot of the guys were comfortable with it," Price explained. "And it fit our talents and our personnel. And as a result we were able to go out there and play our football.

It just sickens me that it took 6 weeks for Grobe and co to let these kids their game.

It just sickens me that it took 6 weeks for Grobe and co to let these kids their game.

Four straight losing seasons and we managed to beat NCSU. Hallelujah!

Grobe et al should be praised for the State game, just as they should be crapped on for every other game we've played this season. We ran an offense for 5 weeks that didn't work. For the second straight season we "implemented" a new offense in the off season that crashed and burned and had to be scrapped in favor of a "new" offense.

At this point people talk about being happy with mediocrity. We've got a ways to go to get to mediocrity.

I agree and while I give Grobe credit for the State game, it's going to take a good bit more than that to be forgiven by the mistake of trying to implement that option offense and being so stubborn about it. Putting your players in a position that does not give them a chance to maximize their strengths is probably one of the worst coaching mistakes you can make and that's exactly what they did.

Last edited:
Hopefully, it's not too little too late for Grobe having finally ditched the ill-conceived pitch option offense.

Sure would suck to finish 5-7 again knowing that we gave away the BC and ULM games. :mad:

The best thing about this video? Grobe throwing shade at the tar holes..."that you will have to go to real classes..."

Grobe definitely had fire in his eyes. Haven't seen that in awhile. I liked it. Let's see if he can keep it up.

Grobe seemed to be in good spirits on his radio show last night. He said something to the effect that he was tired of beating his head against the wall trying to make the pitch offense work, so they had to try something else and that's when they came up with the line splits, etc.

Just wish he would have done so earlier, like say, after the Presby game, and we could now be sitting at 5-1 going into the bye week instead of 3-3.

I fell for the big win going into the bye week once this year. Not doing it again.

Grobe seemed to be in good spirits on his radio show last night. He said something to the effect that he was tired of beating his head against the wall trying to make the pitch offense work, so they had to try something else and that's when they came up with the line splits, etc.

Just wish he would have done so earlier, like say, after the Presby game, and we could now be sitting at 5-1 going into the bye week instead of 3-3.

Newsflash, Jim: The brick wall is named Steed Lobotzke. Why don't you get it out of your program entirely so we don't have the same headache next year.

There's is zero defense for retaining Lobo after this season (as if there was one before...) given that he designed an offense uniquely unsuited to his group of experienced skill players that failed miserably, cost us multiple games, and had to be abandoned mid-season (not that this has been unusual with Lobo).

Grobe et al should be praised for the State game, just as they should be crapped on for every other game we've played this season. We ran an offense for 5 weeks that didn't work. For the second straight season we "implemented" a new offense in the off season that crashed and burned and had to be scrapped in favor of a "new" offense.

At this point people talk about being happy with mediocrity. We've got a ways to go to get to mediocrity.

agree

There's is zero defense for retaining Lobo after this season (as if there was one before...) given that he designed an offense uniquely unsuited to his group of experienced skill players that failed miserably, cost us multiple games, and had to be abandoned mid-season (not that this has been unusual with Lobo).

Not to mention that his coaching duties were expanded to include coaching running backs and coordinating the running game and we're #112 in rushing yards and #115 in rushing yards per carry.

We have one running back in the Top 50 in the ACC in yards per game at #32, only 5 spots above Price.
http://www.cfbstats.com/2013/leader/821/player/split01/category01/sort01.html

Harris is #40 in yards per carry. The 8 players below him are all QBs.

Yes, folks. Our senior RB has the lowest yards per carry in the ACC among RBs at 3.05.

For the record, if Wilhite and Martin qualified, they still wouldn't make Top 30.

Agree with this except to say that the State game did more to expose the mind-boggling ineptitude that our coaching staff showed in the off season and first five games.

The State win was huge. People are still talking about that win all over the city.

Back