• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

John McCain Introduces Cable A La Carte Legislation To Stop Bundling

Trying to think of what I'd keep. First channels that come to mind: AMC, TBS, TNT, FX, USA, Spike, Comedy, ScyFy, History, Science Channel, MLB Net, ESPN (and its derivatives), NHL Net, Palladia, Fuse, IFC, Cartoon Net. Probably a few others I'm missing, but that's about it. Doesn't account for the lady's channels (Food Network, Travel Channel, etc).

i wonder what the breakdown would be for the news channels.

DEATH TO MSNBC!

Pausing and rewinding live TV is essential now, especially for sports.

i wonder what the breakdown would be for the news channels.

DEATH TO MSNBC!

Cable companies should just troll those news viewers. Only offer MSNBC in flyover country and the South and only offer FOX in the Northeast, West Coast, etc.

I dropped cable for 2 years before picking it up before this past football season. The ESPN app on X-Box stopped carrying live events that were on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, and ABC. So the only live games I would've gotten were stuff like Eastern Michigan-Toledo. Prior to that, the ESPN app showed all the football games on all of their networks live, even if you didn't have cable.

If this WERE to happen though, Apple would be skipping all the way to bank. They'd strike content deals and offer channels as Apps on AppleTV. Pro sports leagues could cut Fox and ESPN and the others out all together and just offer their games through their own apps. This would change everything.

This is already happening. In some cases channels are creating their own apps, in others, traditional re-streaming apps are creating their own content (see Netflix, Amazon, etc). There are quite a few channels/apps you can access via XBox Live, Roku, etc. If anything, I bet Apple will lag behind the market because they are so tied to generating revenue via selling/renting shows through their own storefront, iTunes. Roku, XBox and other streaming media devices are releasing new apps all of the time. Noted, a few of these more traditional TV services require you to already subscribe to them via cable (HBO Go, WatchESPN, FoxNow), but here's all of the apps available for "TV Watching" on XBox live right now:
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/partners

Some are subscription based, some are pay per view, some are a combination (like Amazon).

just leave it alone. If there is enough demand for a la carte, providers will go a la carte. Besides, if you force it on them, I'm sure the prices will be fixed for any potential lost revenue.

Hulu+ through the PS3 in the living room and the Roku in the bedroom. It sucks to not be able to pause and rewind live TV, but it just wasn't worth the cost. If there are shows not on Hulu like Mad Men, Walking Dead, etc. then I just buy individual episodes from Amazon. If it weren't for sports, I would cut cable entirely.

Not sure you can claim 'Murica anymore.

I got $15.55 and was throwing stations in just in case.

i would have the cheapest monthly rate ever. seriously all I need other than the basic channels would be: TLC, MTV, HGTV, Style Network and E! I'd be at like $3 a month.#makeithappen

Except you'd never have a boyfriend ever come over if you didn't have ESPN.

Except you'd never have a boyfriend ever come over if you didn't have ESPN.

whatevs, i could go over there! on this note, i don't have HD at the moment and one of my girlfriends was like "good luck ever getting a guy to agree to your place vs. his since you only have SD".

i would have the cheapest monthly rate ever. seriously all I need other than the basic channels would be: TLC, MTV, HGTV, Style Network and E! I'd be at like $3 a month.#makeithappen

I find it hard to believe you don't watch Bravo

just leave it alone. If there is enough demand for a la carte, providers will go a la carte. Besides, if you force it on them, I'm sure the prices will be fixed for any potential lost revenue.

meh

Cable needs to accept that for the folks in this country that are 40 and younger, they are no longer an option except because of ESPN and that will change. For those that are 40 and up there is some hope as they are technology challenged and just will not do all the things spoken about here, because its "just too much work" regardless of the cost.

I'm as much a fan of a la carte as the next guy, lol at all the n00bs who think the cable companies won't find a way to keep your rates at $150/month. Ohh, so your channel selections amount to $15/month? That's cool, here's a $45/month service fee, a $30/month DVR rental fee, $10/month remote rental fee, and a $50/month piitb fee

I would instantly be suspicious of any chick that I was dating that didn't have ESPN as part of her a la carte. That would be a big huge red flag waving right in front of my face.

Back