• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

John McCain Introduces Cable A La Carte Legislation To Stop Bundling

I imagine if you de-bundled you'd just lose all the shitty networks and the more popular networks would make more money.

Currently, if a network is getting $.10 and only 1 in 100 people are watching it, they'll need to get those people to fork over $10 to keep watching it. Only a few networks like ESPN can charge big and still keep revenues flat.

The more popular networks would just lose less and maybe break even.

Don't forget ad revenue in all this. Direct subscribers is probably a more powerful bargaining chip than ratings.

Don't forget ad revenue in all this. Direct subscribers is probably a more powerful bargaining chip than ratings.

Ratings is who watches the product. Subscribers is who could.

The model still needs work to satisfy everybody who has skin in a messed up game.

Does ESPN revamp their WatchESPN app and offer that as a subscription service to customers, bypassing the cable companies?

More importantly if you go to a subscriber service can every channel show boobies??

SD hurts my eyes. people who have HDTVs and HD channels but watch SD "because they know the numbers" don't deserve nice things.

I've never heard this saying, what does it mean?

right. they know the channel number for the SD channel and haven't bothered learning/figuring out out the HD one. I put my top channels into "favorites" and scroll through them that way. I know ESPN is 1500 but otherwise I just scroll around the guide, use the favorites feature, or really mostly just watch on DVR.

Doesn't time warner show the HD feed on the SD channel if you subscribe to HD?

I know that CBS/NBC/ABC show up in HD on channels 3/6/9 on my tv without having to go to the 1100 channels

All the HD channels start in the 400 range on my TWC. So its like 400-499 are HD channels, 0-100 are regular channels.

I heard McCain on Colin Cowherd talking about being vehemently against blackouts for games played in stadiums that were funded, at least in part, by taxpayer money. The concept of blackouts are pretty ridiculous, in my opinion.

In surprising news, Cowherd then went on to make terrible analogies and beat the hell out of strawmen.

Back