• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

John Wolford drafted (sort of)

AAF is fine for February and the beginning of March. It's not going to draw interest during the end of March and NBA playoffs.

Let's be real. This league will never make a profit. It would just need to be valuable enough to the NFL to make the losses acceptable. I think it could be.

Kind of agree, but does the public really pay attention to the NBA playoffs until the conference championships? Is the first round match up between Detroit and Toronto or Clippers v. Nuggets must see TV for anyone other than hard core fans? The NBA playoffs have become so predictable that just don't feel like there is much buzz when the NBA drags out the playoffs for months with very little suspense.

Fair question but I don’t think the AAF will pick up lost momentum during the NBA playoffs.

One thing the NFL could do to add some Buzz is hold an AAF draft on the Saturday before the actual draft which is before the playoffs. Nothing crazy. Just a 2 or 3 round draft for teams who want to participate. Maybe people would watch the playoffs to check out who their team picked.

Wolford is the biggest revelation on the offensive side in the whole league. Because of his age. There are a handful of receivers and backs turning heads too but a lot of them are in their late 20s.

I could see a team decide they are going to have a backup offense that runs a different set of plays for a qb to come every now and then like a wildcat qb or create havoc for a quarter or two should the #1 go down.

I am so glad that Wolford has the opportunity to demonstrate the many faceted game he plays. He is so smart and throws with precision and can run better than many realize (but thankfully he does not run much in the AFF). Hope he gets a serious shot with the NFL.

I'm not a proponent of non-medical marijuana use but it seems like a way for the AAF league to get some really good talent is to not test for pot. Don't condone the use, but rather just not test for it. Think of how many NFL players who are struggling with staying the the NFL for pot use but could then instead play in the AAF. As talent builds so does the fan interest and support, and then salaries.

I'm not a proponent of non-medical marijuana use but it seems like a way for the AAF league to get some really good talent is to not test for pot. Don't condone the use, but rather just not test for it. Think of how many NFL players who are struggling with staying the the NFL for pot use but could then instead play in the AAF. As talent builds so does the fan interest and support, and then salaries.

The nfl league minimum is $480k for rookies - AAF pays $75k. That would have to be some good weed to intentionally leave the NFL for the AAF.

Out of curiosity - why?

^ Strange article. Dundon wasn’t a founder at all - he just bought in a few weeks ago. I’m still confused on the “deal” he struck. It was reported that he put up $250mm for it - seems strange he committed all that capital just to close the thing. I’m sure he didn’t put all the money down, but still...

***CONGRATS TO JOHN WOLFORD WHO WILL BE REMEMBERED AS THE ALL-TIME LEADER IN AAF PASSING TOUCHDOWNS. ***

In the mid-80s, one of the guys we played ball with had played in the USFL. He had a good agent. Rather than signing with the team, he got a personal services contract with the team's owner. Thus, he kept getting paid even after the league folded. I hope John got such a contract.

In the mid-80s, one of the guys we played ball with had played in the USFL. He had a good agent. Rather than signing with the team, he got a personal services contract with the team's owner. Thus, he kept getting paid even after the league folded. I hope John got such a contract.

every player had a $75k per year unguaranteed contract I believe.

AAF players were paid on a weekly basis, John told me. Didn't sound like any of them had this type of contract.

Every AAF player signed a 3-year contract for 250k and yearly salaries were either 100k-80k-70k, or reverse order.

With those paltry salaries, I can't believe Ebersole didn't have each franchise set up escrow accounts to cover player and front office salaries as part of their entrance into the AAF. Hell, even the local ice cream franchise demands that you have 4-6 months of salaries in the bank before you open up a store.

Back