• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jose heading towards NYC

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2017/08/whats-the-next-houston/538200/

The scariest scenario is Miami. While the city is practically synonymous with storms—just ask the University of Miami—it has escaped a direct hit for 91 years, and with it the massive storm surge that might deal irreparable damage.

“It won't survive,” Craig Fugate, the former top emergency manager for both the federal government and the state of Florida, said in 2014.

Last edited:
One of our neighbors and good friend's mom is in Ft. Lauderdale and just found out this morning her flight out was cancelled. He's kind of freaking out about it now.

One of our neighbors and good friend's mom is in Ft. Lauderdale and just found out this morning her flight out was cancelled. He's kind of freaking out about it now.

Would suggest getting a nice hotel room. The video of the dude at the Ritz in St Maarten getting pounded by 150 mph winds looked kind of fun.

Its like you can feel the tension at work down here this morning. Yesterday people were still kind of relaxed and hoping it would push east some more. Today, the stress level is definitely higher and there isn't much small talk or joking around going on. We get off work at 3:00 p.m. when Palm Beach County closes governmental offices and then I report back to work by 4:00 p.m. on Saturday (as of now, could move to earlier in the day) and am here for the duration. I think most people have already left for the day considering how quiet it is in here, but I have prep work that I have to be here for.

Well, the good news is that it's weakening. Obvious on radar, and pressure up/winds down 10 mph. If it can keep being affected by Hispaniola/Cuba before getting to the U.S. that would be ideal. However, the water around the Bahamas/S Fl is some of the warmest in the world, so it will be interesting to see how much it weakens.

a1c57b45ce67e187b0d00ff69b1c64b8.jpg

Mom and sister are at Disney and were planning on staying through Monday but now leaving super early morning Saturday and driving to my mom's house in the Panhandle. I still think they should leave earlier but they seem to be enjoying a deserted park.

Mom and sister are at Disney and were planning on staying through Monday but now leaving super early morning Saturday and driving to my mom's house in the Panhandle. I still think they should leave earlier but they seem to be enjoying a deserted park.

The lines are much longer on I-75 than they are at Disney.

All of GA east of 95 is under mandatory evacuation starting Saturday.

All of GA east of 95 is under mandatory evacuation starting Saturday.

What does "mandatory evacuation" mean? If you refuse to leave, they will force you out of your home, or if you refuse to leave, you are on your own.

What does "mandatory evacuation" mean? If you refuse to leave, they will force you out of your home, or if you refuse to leave, you are on your own.

I am pretty sure it is the latter. Don't think they can force you to leave, but will say that services (incl. rescue) will not be available.

The latter. If you are ordered to evacuate and you call 911, nobody is coming for a few days at minimum.

tsy, what does a hospital do in these situations? transport all the patients, or hunker down?

Depends on the facility and conditions. Usually operate in storm mode and remain open, extended shifts and all call support. Sometimes patients are transported if possible, simply because there aren't enough people to deal with them.

tsy, what does a hospital do in these situations? transport all the patients, or hunker down?

Most hospitals are built to withstand storms up to a certain extent, certainly not a Cat 5. It varies up to the administrator, but most non-urgent procedures are cancelled and as many patients are either discharged or transferred to other hospitals that arent in the crosshairs. A skeleton staff of essential personnel remain to cover unstable patients and those that may come in during the storm. Backup generators and in house purification systems ensure that the hospitals will continue to have power and water.

After Katrina, many of the hospitals had to temporarily shut down and evacuated due to the water, and in that case the FDA rushed agents in to protect the medical records, but typically flooding of that magnitude doesn't hand around for more than a week or so.

Back