• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jose heading towards NYC

If the center of the storm comes straight up the middle of the state, Miami will have a much easier time of it. The Everglades provide a buffer and will also give the storm time to weaken. If the storm comes in on the south east coast, it will be a lot worse. Still looking at a ton of power outages across the state and a lot of damage. It all depends on when that Northern turn occurs.

If the center of the storm comes straight up the middle of the state, Miami will have a much easier time of it. The Everglades provide a buffer and will also give the storm time to weaken. If the storm comes in on the south east coast, it will be a lot worse. Still looking at a ton of power outages across the state and a lot of damage. It all depends on when that Northern turn occurs.

The worst of the storm is always east of the eye. Hitting the Everglades would put Miami east of the eye.

The worst of the storm is always east of the eye. Hitting the Everglades would put Miami east of the eye.

I'm not a meteorologist, but I believe the eyewall is actually THE strongest part of the storm. So as bad as getting the northeast quad of the storm would be, I believe it would still be better than having a direct hit by the eye. Miami was on the northeast side of Andrew, and there was a huge difference in the damage to Homestead (where the eye hit) versus Miami.

Assuming the storm is moving north, the strongest winds are on the northeast side. Largest storm surge would be on the northwest side.

The BVIs are going to get absolutely destroyed. Really sad stuff. Hope Soggy Dollar and Foxy's can survive.

Jost is toast, this is the Soggy Dollar yesterday

21369235_10155703502318234_8012610672877079440_n.jpg

My wife's family got forced out of St Lucie County and all arrived at our house yesterday. 6 people plus a dog, with more on the way. Should be a relaxing weekend.

I'm not a meteorologist, but I believe the eyewall is actually THE strongest part of the storm. So as bad as getting the northeast quad of the storm would be, I believe it would still be better than having a direct hit by the eye. Miami was on the northeast side of Andrew, and there was a huge difference in the damage to Homestead (where the eye hit) versus Miami.

http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/D6.html

It's on the right side of the storm, so when one is moving north it's the east side. I grew up in FL and went through my fair share of storms and you always wanted to be west of the eye or in the direct path of the eye itself.

For example, when Ivan hit in 04 it made landfall in Gulf Shores, AL and my hometown of Pensacola bore the brunt of it. But then a year later when Dennis hit at similar strength and made a direct landfall at Pensacola the damage was significantly less. #anecdotes

Moonz when should Atlanta start the panic like it's a snow storm coming? Even as a tropical depression with 50-60mph of winds I feel like the city will need to panic.

It's on the right side of the storm, so when one is moving north it's the east side. I grew up in FL and went through my fair share of storms and you always wanted to be west of the eye or in the direct path of the eye itself.

For example, when Ivan hit in 04 it made landfall in Gulf Shores, AL and my hometown of Pensacola bore the brunt of it. But then a year later when Dennis hit at similar strength and made a direct landfall at Pensacola the damage was significantly less. #anecdotes

The east side of the hurricane brings the terrible storm surge because the winds are blowing all of the water inland. That is a major problem with being east of the eye.

The Florabama was full of sand after that.

I was told Orlando closes tomorrow, so Miami today seems weird. Maybe they're encouraging employees to evacuate?

This. Plus it's directly North and east of the mandatory evacuation zones. It would be more useful as a shelter right now.

Back