• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Josh Harris

This ^ BP is/was a much better back maybe not as flashy but knew how to put his head down get north and south and find the sticks!! Love how that guy plays!

No. Josh harris was the only back to rush for over 100the yards on FSU for a reason. WF needs him ready to roll next season. And i say that as a huge BP fan

No. Josh harris was the only back to rush for over 100the yards on FSU for a reason. WF needs him ready to roll next season. And i say that as a huge BP fan

Josh Harris ran for 100 yards against FSU because he broke 2 long runs, very few of the couple hundred or whatever other carries he had this year were very good. Harris has not shown the ability, this year or last, to be consistent, to be a running back that can give you 100+ yards without breaking a huge one or two. Even against Va. Tech last year, the large majority of his yards can on 2 runs. Long runs from scrimmage are few and unless he can show the ability to be consistent, to get us 100+ yards with his longest run being 10 yards or less, then he's not going to be a real effective player for us.

his ability to break long runs changes the ways that defenses play us. There is a reason our passing game was so much better in the first half of the season.

and it's not like those yards don't count. we scored TD's after both of his long runs iirc.

his ability to break long runs changes the ways that defenses play us. There is a reason our passing game was so much better in the first half of the season.

rj=mj gets it

I love Josh and if you had told me at the start of the season we'd make a bowl game without Josh being a major factor for us, I'd have said you were crazy. However, we need much more from him than 4 great runs (2 last year and 2 this year) and abunch of very mediocre and not good runs. There's lots of backs out there that can take it to the house (we saw one Friday), but the really good backs can get you consistent yards, even when the big ones aren't there. Take away just four runs and Josh Harris would be considered a failure at tailback for us. He's got the ability, he's just got to be a lot more consistent and if he's willing to put forth the effort, desire and attitude I think he can do it.

I love Josh and if you had told me at the start of the season we'd make a bowl game without Josh being a major factor for us, I'd have said you were crazy. However, we need much more from him than 4 great runs (2 last year and 2 this year) and abunch of very mediocre and not good runs. There's lots of backs out there that can take it to the house (we saw one Friday), but the really good backs can get you consistent yards, even when the big ones aren't there. Take away just four runs and Josh Harris would be considered a failure at tailback for us. He's got the ability, he's just got to be a lot more consistent and if he's willing to put forth the effort, desire and attitude I think he can do it.

We probably don't make a bowl game without without his runs against FSU, even though he got hurt.

and it's not like those yards don't count. we scored TD's after both of his long runs iirc.

Sure they count, but all those short gains, no gains, losses count too. So far there have been 2 games in the past 2 seasons that Josh has played in where he's broke big runs. Other teams have too much talent and speed for a back to depend on being able to break on every game.

We probably don't make a bowl game without without his runs against FSU, even though he got hurt.

We also don't make a bowl game if guys like Camp, Givens, and even Terence Davis don't bail us out in games where Josh wasn't effective, like against BC.

I'm not saying I don't like his big play potential, but breaking a jaw dropping run or 2 during a season isn't going to get it done. We need him to be consistent, to be able to go out and rush for 5 yards per, even when a long run doesn't happen during the game.

Harris had a solid, underrated first half of the year against defenses that were designed to stop him. I think he was in line for a huge second half of the season when he got hurt. Plus he's pretty good in helping out the offensive line in pass protection unlike BP and Reynolds.

Harris had a solid, underrated first half of the year against defenses that were designed to stop him. I think he was in line for a huge second half of the season when he got hurt. Plus he's pretty good in helping out the offensive line in pass protection unlike BP and Reynolds.

I don't disagree with that, he seemed to be hitting his stride then. Part of the reason I point these things out is because I know Josh can be so much better than he's been. I know Grobe said he wants Josh to be remembered here as a great running back and not just a back with great speed that made a few jawdropping runs.

What we needed was BOTH of these guys running the ball well all year.

Harris, I thought the coaches said recently, could be a "1500 yard guy" for us over a season.

They are not gonna say that about BP and I love BP's running style and tenacity. BP is a leader - that is the big difference to me in the 2 guys right now.

I'd rather have 2 or 3 long runs that set up immediate scores - as our offense is never good at SCORING - than 24 runs of the 2-9 yard variety.

What we needed was BOTH of these guys running the ball well all year.

Harris, I thought the coaches said recently, could be a "1500 yard guy" for us over a season.

They are not gonna say that about BP and I love BP's running style and tenacity. BP is a leader - that is the big difference to me in the 2 guys right now.

I'd rather have 2 or 3 long runs that set up immediate scores - as our offense is never good at SCORING - than 24 runs of the 2-9 yard variety.

Yeah, but the point remains he's done that in 2 games out of his entire career so far. It's like the baseball player that hits the tape measure homerun once every 10 games or so and bats .150 the rest of the time. There's no reason he can't be the type of back that can get you 100 yards on 20 carries or can get you 80 yards on one carry on the rare occassions it presents itself.

just to be factually accurate, harris had long runs (and 100+ yards) against vandy as well last year.

How is Deon Sanders Jr. good enough to make the UA All-American game, but not good enough for a Wake offer?

1) I bet you can figure out how he made the team.

2) We probably should just offer him, it couldn't hurt. We did just lose our Texas recruiter though.

RB stats should be judged on a value per play basis vs. the average in a situation dependent manner (5 yards on your opponents 15 are worth more than 5 yards on 3rd and 18 at your own 30 and would be compared against what the "average" college RB would gain in a certain similar situation). Josh's spectacular runs would be pegged against his other runs of less than spectacular fashion. My gut tells me that his average value per play would be mediocre given the sample size thus far. Agree with the poster above that running backs who consistently gain positive yards and can get 1st downs are WAY more valuable than inconsistent home-run hitters.

Check out www.footballoutsiders.com for more on the subject. Great site - big believer in what they do.

I'd love to see football go to a median yards per carry instead of average yards per carry. That would tell us much more about player's effectiveness.

I guarantee football outsiders would like Josh Harris over Pendergrass.

Back