• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Journal Article- Clemson Game Edition

KVegasDeac

Reaction score
http://www.journalnow.com/sports/wfu/basketball/article_c3597f38-80ac-11e3-84d9-0019bb30f31a.html

Thomas spent much of the night matched up against Nnoko. He said he wasn’t bothered by the power and strength of Nnoko, a 6-10, 250-pound sophomore from Yaounde, Cameroon.

“Nothing at all,” Thomas said. “I struggled because I didn’t make shots. He didn’t do anything defensively to stop me. I had him in foul trouble. He was the one sitting the bench in the first half. He didn’t have a breakout game. I didn’t see any effectiveness from him on how he affected the game.”

[Redacted] saw it differently.

“He’s a big man, he really is,” [Redacted] said. “Yeah (Thomas) struggled in there, yeah. Give Nnoko credit.

At this point, I'm just laughing. He really has no connection with his players. He attributed Travis McKie's slump to a bum ankle that he does not exist. Travis said he stubbed his toe but his ankle is fine. You cannot make this stuff up.

It would be in the best interest of the basketball program and this year's team for Ron to make up an excuse and no longer allow Buzz to give interviews- before or after the game. Let Battle, Chill, Rusty and the players handle it.

ETA: NOT "My Take on Wake" but the game article on journalnow.com. Mods can change thread title to reflect correct source.

Last edited:
I thought I was reading an Onion article when I read that "you have to ask him" line.

Is that something [Redacted] says all the time, or does he just say it to Dan because he doesn't like Dan?

I'm with you on shutting down [Redacted] for interviews, but Devin did struggle with Nnoko.

“Nothing at all,” Thomas said. “I struggled because I didn’t make shots. He didn’t do anything defensively to stop me. I had him in foul trouble. He was the one sitting the bench in the first half. He didn’t have a breakout game. I didn’t see any effectiveness from him on how he affected the game.”

Devin needs to stop being a punk. He just comes off as a sore loser in that quote to me. Whether he wants to admit or not, Nnoko did disrupt the entire team in the paint. Give some credit where credit is due.

Last edited:
who really cares about the interviews?

Everybody should. How he handles himself in public is an important aspect of his job and provides good insight into how he is going to recruit.

Devin needs to stop being a punk. He just comes off as a sore loser in that quote to me. Whether he wants to admit or not, Nnoko did disrupt the entire team in the paint. Whether Devin wants to admit it or not. Give some credit where credit is due.

Just be thankful Devin didn't run down the entire baseline this game when he got called for a foul. Progress!

Devin needs to stop being a punk. He just comes off as a sore loser in that quote to me. Whether he wants to admit or not, Nnoko did disrupt the entire team in the paint. Whether Devin wants to admit it or not. Give some credit where credit is due.

He comes off sounding a lot like his coach does.

Obviously they don't add extra points to the scoreboard if you give an insightful or reflective post-game interview, but it'd be nice if our coach evinced any understanding of, or familiarity with, the health profiles of his players and whether his best post player was or was not winning his matchup with the guy guarding him.

It's these kind of quotes that lend credence to the thought that talent issues notwithstanding, this group is capable of being run much more effectively than it is.

Jeff [Redacted] is our most public figure. Hard to believe people met him and thought he should play that role.

I thought I was reading an Onion article when I read that "you have to ask him" line.

Is that something [Redacted] says all the time, or does he just say it to Dan because he doesn't like Dan?

I don't think he knows. Or he knows and he doesn't know how to communicate his thoughts? Most coaches would say something like "yeah, he's in a slump, but he's a warrior/fighter/good kid/good player/senior and we will look at tape/work at practice/talk and figure this out..." or SOMETHING positive like that.

He could say "I don't like to speak for my players, so I don't want to comment, but we will figure this out..."

It's really not that hard.

Most coaches deflect praise and accept blame.

Bzzzz accepts praise and deflects blame.

I'm with you on shutting down [Redacted] for interviews, but Devin did struggle with Nnoko.

Devin did struggle, but Buzz just doesn't have his player's backs when it comes to the media.

I usually don't pick apart Buzz's interviews, but this quote and the McKie ankle quote are just ridiculous.

Jeff [Redacted] is our most public figure. Hard to believe people met him and thought he should play that role.

it's obvious that our admin has no concept of what is/ins't marketable & even how to market WF. When Skip was in that position they clearly under-utilized his abilities.

Way to embarrass Devin coach!

What an asshole he is!

Devin needs to stop being a punk. He just comes off as a sore loser in that quote to me. Whether he wants to admit or not, Nnoko did disrupt the entire team in the paint. Give some credit where credit is due.

There is nothing wrong with what Devin said. I applaud the kid for not admitting he couldn't handle the challenge that this Nnoko fellow presented, even if it is true. Who want's a power forward or center to come out and admit "Yeah I was kind of a pussy out there, I can't really play with these big guys, so hopefully we won't encounter too many more of them this season." Devin doesn't sound like a sore looser, he sounds like a competitor who believes that no matter how big the other guys, he himself should figure out a way to score and compete.

Amen. He needs to just quit making excuses. He had a bad game because Nnoko caused him to have a bad game.

There is nothing wrong with what Devin said. I applaud the kid for not admitting he couldn't handle the challenge that this Nnoko fellow presented, even if it is true. Who want's a power forward or center to come out and admit "Yeah I was kind of a pussy out there, I can't really play with these big guys, so hopefully we won't encounter too many more of them this season." Devin doesn't sound like a sore looser, he sounds like a competitor who believes that no matter how big the other guys, he himself should figure out a way to score and compete.

No, Devin sounds like a whiney bitch in that interview.

Back