• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Judge Moore accused of sexually assaulting/pursuing underage girls in his 30s

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...d01e4b091ca2684d925?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

Trump’s Lawyer Made A Really Good Case Once For Sitting A New Senator Fast

Jay Sekulow, one of President Donald Trump’s lawyers, excoriated Senate Democrats in a 2010 blog post for not moving quickly enough to seat Republican Scott Brown after he won a special election for a U.S. Senate seat in Massachusetts.

Sekulow’s comments are of renewed interest today because of concern that GOP Senate leaders will drag their feet in seating Democrat Doug Jones, who won a special election in Alabama on Tuesday. Jones’ unexpected victory means Republicans’ margin of control in the Senate will narrow. GOP leaders may try to push through their tax plan before Jones is seated.

Democrats are calling on Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) to seat Jones quickly, but McConnell indicated on Tuesday that the new senator will not be sworn in during the current session, which ends Dec. 22. Alabama Secretary of State John Merrill (R) said the earliest he can certify the election results is Dec. 26. The latest the state can certify the results is Jan. 3.

In 2010, Sekulow wrote that it was “outrageous” for then-Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) to wait for the results of Brown’s election to be certified before seating him in the Senate. He accused Democrats of disenfranchising Massachusetts voters, and his organization, the American Center for Law and Justice, threatened to sue.

″There’s absolutely no reason to wait to seat Senator-elect Brown and with each passing day he is prevented from participating in the legislative process,” Sekulow wrote less than a week after Scott’s electoral victory. “This delay tactic along with reports that top Democrats continue to plot passage of health care reform show that its business as usual in Washington ignoring the will of Massachusetts voters and moving forward with a disturbing health care plan that America simply does not want.”

Sekulow did not respond to a request for comment Wednesday.

Emphasis mine

How many Democrats don't vote in Alabama because it doesn't matter? How many will vote in 2018 and 2020 after last night showed that it does?

I think you're going to see a lot of black voters and "my vote doesn't matter" voters and young voters come off the sidelines. I also think democrats will peel off some poor white voters after the next year of tax cuts and entitlement cuts.

No way. Jones beat a sex offending neanderthal with a wife who pronounces Jew as JJJeeeewwww by a whopping 2%, largely because of a large African-American turnout and a suppressed Pub turnout (establishment Pubs either voting for Jones, writing in someone else or staying home). This was a singular event brought on by a very complicated and perfect storm created by a cast of characters including Moore, Strange, Bannon, Trump and McConnell. This malfeasance and negligence on the part of various Pubs was 10x worse than that of MA Dems when Scott Brown won his special election.

No way. Jones beat a sex offending neanderthal with a wife who pronounces Jew as JJJeeeewwww by a whopping 2%, largely because of a large African-American turnout and a suppressed Pub turnout (establishment Pubs either voting for Jones, writing in someone else or staying home). This was a singular event brought on by a very complicated and perfect storm created by a cast of characters including Moore, Strange, Bannon, Trump and McConnell. This malfeasance and negligence on the part of various Pubs was 10x worse than that of MA Dems when Scott Brown won his special election.

Fair argument, no doubt. But one big Republican advantage is the advantage of incumbency. What will happen in an increasingly independent electorate when the D is the incumbent? We haven't seen party and incumbency separated from each other much in the South.

I'm not going to rule out Roy Moore winning the republican primary in 2020 and having a rematch. That would be just crazy enough to actually happen in Alabama

Dems can't count on running against cartoon villains in every election. They have to actually try winning with policy. Hopefully they are recognizing that playing it safe and running just a few notches to the left of "center" is not a winning strategy in red states. We should be energizing the electorate with idealogy and policy. Remember how successful Obama was with "Hope" and "Change"? Hell, Trump's MAGA message was very powerful and positive (to his audience).

Seems to me that Alabama proved that GOTV was more important than policy.

Seems to me that Alabama proved that GOTV was more important than policy.
It's impressively cynical of you to differentiate the two. I would hope the national democratic party identity isn't so soulless and empty. Is it really just a sport to you?

It's impressively cynical of you to differentiate the two. I would hope the national democratic party identity isn't so soulless and empty. Is it really just a sport to you?

i don't see how it's cynical. the only way to win is to get more people to vote for your candidate. the DNC's job is to figure out what the population wants and find a candidate to fit the bill.

your idea of telling everyone what you think is best and then scolding them for not agreeing with you and pulling your own support is a bizarre path to success

like i said before, stop voting for Democrats if you don't agree with the politics

Last edited:
My girlfriend works at the YWCA in Birmingham, and said they've been getting donations all day from people all over the country. Their mission is "eliminating racism and empowering women," and often work to help victims of domestic abuse get back on their feet. It warms the heart.

That's awesome! Sometimes people are good :heart:

Dems can't count on running against cartoon villains in every election. They have to actually try winning with policy. Hopefully they are recognizing that playing it safe and running just a few notches to the left of "center" is not a winning strategy in red states. We should be energizing the electorate with idealogy and policy. Remember how successful Obama was with "Hope" and "Change"? Hell, Trump's MAGA message was very powerful and positive (to his audience).

There's a distinction that has to be made for DNC strategy at macro level and individual races. Doug Jones isn't the most progressive Democrat in America but he ran a campaign based on being a pragmatic voice and focused on turning out the vote (specifically younger and minority voters). What the Democrats are able to do with a candidate in Alabama - running against a cartoon villain or otherwise - is completely different than what they're able to do in a California or a Massachusetts.

Running a few notches to the left of center in red states is sure as hell a better winning strategy there than running a far left progressive. Jones was a pretty moderate voice throughout this election process and still barely beat Moore do you really believe that someone more progressive and more liberal than Jones would have won the election?

I'm generally sympathetic to a lot of your arguments on here, but I think this is the definition of choosing the wrong hill to die on.

The people of Alabama showed that they would elect a centrist Dem. Are you telling them that they were wrong to do that?

I'm not going to rule out Roy Moore winning the republican primary in 2020 and having a rematch. That would be just crazy enough to actually happen in Alabama

Doubt it at this point. He'd have a difficult time winning such a rematch after the disclosure of his sexual predatory practices. That didn't come out until after he had beaten Strange. They were willing to support a neanderthal who wanted to jail teh gays, but now it's unseemly because of his predatory issues. And also remember that part of the AL Pub support for Moore in the 1st place wasn't necessarily pro Moore as it was anti McConnell for forcing Strange down their throats and not supporting a fair contest. And I think most Alabamans and AL Pubs realize this has been a black eye on their state that they would like to avoid in the future. Add in his age. Roy Moore is politically dead, and I believe the vast majority of Pubs would prefer that he remain dead.

The people of Alabama showed that they would elect a centrist Dem. Are you telling them that they were wrong to do that?
"people of Alabama" hell. Voting black Alabamians showed they would vote against a racist, pedophile, real life Yosemite Sam, Trump surrogate. Why are you acting as if one win, by 1.5% in 25 years, legitimizes your strategy? That's ludicrous. It boggles the mind how you can speak so confidently about your popularity while staring up at the Mendoza line like a goddamn constellation. The only reason this election even happened is because PRESIDENT Donald Trump named Jeff Beauregard Sessions ATTORNEY FUCKING GENERAL. You're bragging about finding a fucking corn kernel in your shit sandwich

"people of Alabama" hell. Voting black Alabamians showed they would vote against a racist, pedophile, real life Yosemite Sam, Trump surrogate. Why are you acting as if one win, by 1.5% in 25 years, legitimizes your strategy? That's ludicrous. It boggles the mind how you can speak so confidently about your popularity while staring up at the Mendoza line like a goddamn constellation. The only reason this election even happened is because PRESIDENT Donald Trump named Jeff Beauregard Sessions ATTORNEY FUCKING GENERAL. You're bragging about finding a fucking corn kernel in your shit sandwich

how many wins does the far left have in 25 years?

Running a few notches to the left of center in red states is sure as hell a better winning strategy there than running a far left progressive.

How many elections do you need to lose before you admit this is bullshit? Conservatives vote for Republicans. What imaginary electorate do you believe this strategy is for? Do you not find it odd that these imaginary moderate voters never show up?

Last edited:
If yesterday's Alabama Senate race had been a House election, the Republicans, who got *fewer* votes, would have won 6 out of 7 seats, and the Democrats, who *won* the vote statewide, only 1 out of 7. That's how gerrymandered Alabama is.
25289374_10154848299540216_2992369197179841921_n.jpg

Back