• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Just on Dave Glenn show

We need our major big $$$ donors to care as much about athletics as they do other things. If the big $$$ is okay with being mediocre so long as the name of the school is squeaky clean then we'll never be a major player.

The job of the AD is to cover up those issues that could reflect poorly on the school, not eliminate the possibility of them ever happening. A good AD protects the good name of the school while still enabling just enough "fringe" cases to be as competitive as possible in major revenue sports.

I'm poor as fuck so i wouldn't know, but if you don't care about winning, why would you give a ton of money to a sports program?

Continues to speak as if what you are saying is fact. Priceless.

There is a lot of validity to what I post. I'll never talk about a source or why I'm so confident of my "speculation" but it is what it is. Sorry friends.

To rub elbows with the decision makers. Ego boost.

Tax write off.

Seems like somebody like a Sutton can be a homeless man's version of a Jerry Jones or Dan Synder by ponying up $10M to a university for athletics.

Unfortunately, as much as we try to come off as being a "small school with big resources," we are subjecting ourselves to no mans land. If we want to be mired in mediocrity, great, but if we want to be great (in every aspect of our university's reach), make that commitment firmly.

Will there be an official announcement? If so, when? I can't keep this up.

Mistake #1 - Firing Gaudio after a winning season and another NCAA appearance. People forget the public relations disaster that created and, unless Bzd was the only target, it certainly had to impact the pool of interested coaches. Gaudio would eventually be hired, but doing so after the following year would have the benefit of a united fan base, and better coaches interested in the job. My only assumption was that the AD and major boosters overreacted to the band member story after it aired on the Today show, and this was the story used to somewhat whitewash the true issue.

Mistake #2 - Hiring Bzd. I was hopeful that he was some sort of basketball savant with an unfortunate personality, but those who were concerned with his track record and personality clearly have been proven to be correct.

Mistake #3 - Insisting that Bzd retain Gaudio's assistants. Giving benefit of doubt, I assume this was done because the firing was somewhat late. While the buck stops at the head coach's desk, it is asinine to assign blame for a post-season performance (or a culture problem) to the head coach alone. What about the lead recruiter? What about the dbo? Do they have no accountability whatsoever? Why does the AD have no accountability? its not as if the public issues (not just accusations eventually proven untrue) had not happened in other programs as well. Why not the same action in regards to the football programs numerous public problems? If the basketball program was as culturally disgusting as portrayed, cleaning house of coaches, and possibly some within the AD, would be the only answer.

Mistake #4 - Exaggerating (perhaps) the culture issue. This has been done to the exclusion of the post-season performance problem that was initially cited. However, they have taken a page out of a politician's book and, as things are not going well, blamed the predecessor. This smacks as opportunistic to divert from the current state if the program. It also continues to besmirch the character of every person associated with the program under Gaudio. The public innuendo can be harmful to even the good apples.

Mistake #5 - Adopting an "us against them" mentality. By adopting a "Baghdad Bob" public relations position of proclaiming satisfaction with, and making excuses for, poor results the AD further alienated and patronized fans that were already upset. Then, exacerbated the problem by referring to passionate fans as the "lunatic fringe" and cutting off the call-in show. This has led to greater anger and actions such as mini-protests, firebzd website, and embarrassing advertisements during the ACC tournament. Even if Bzd was still the coach, it shouldn't have come to this. This should be PR course case study on how not to deal with a "lunatic fringe".

There may be more that I am missing. Feel free to add. More importantly, I have resigned myself to the fact that further mistakes will be made. I am afraid that there is a plan being hatched to extend bzd in ordee to continue grooming one of the assistants to become head coach. Under no circumstances should WF hire a head basketball coach with no previous head coaching experience or track record, no matter how beloved that assistant may be. Unfortunately, based on the multitude of mistakes, I am unable to trust our AD to make good decisions.

Lets see - so radio guy makes a statement that is somewhat contrarian and controversial, and now everyone is all spun up about it and discussing his show? Sounds like someone who knows how to do their job, which is generate attention.

What is your best guess as to what's gonna happen? Will there be an extension?

I'm not sure how it'll all go down, I wish I knew like everyone else. All I know is there will be two more years unless the BOT takes over the situation and in which case things could get dicey for the whole AD.

Just got a Deacon Club post card in the mail announcing Grobe and Buzz speaking in various cities over the next three months, doubt you would advertise Buzz if he was going anywhere...just sayin.

Lets see - so radio guy makes a statement that is somewhat contrarian and controversial, and now everyone is all spun up about it and discussing his show? Sounds like someone who knows how to do their job, which is generate attention.

Yes. Glenn is being an attention whore.

Just got a Deacon Club post card in the mail announcing Grobe and Buzz speaking in various cities over the next three months, doubt you would advertise Buzz if he was going anywhere...just sayin.

Nopenopenope. You have to advertise. If you don't it speaks volumes. Plus we know these clowns will pull an advertised DC speaker at the drop of a hat. There is a track record.

That means next to nothing.

Back