• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Just Overheard...

What the heck, can't invite the grass guy from around the corner? Y'all come by the DBAP some time.

I plan to make my way across the street from ATC for a few afternoon games...

And I overheard the opposite at the gym last week- from an alum, who named his oldest child after two great Deacon basketball players...that [Redacted] needs a little more time to work with "his guys" and develop "his system" and no matter what "his record as a college basketball coach is better than any of the people complaining about him" and "Ron Wellman knows what he's doing, I trust that he is making decisions that are in the best interest of our program".

It just makes me sad.

Actually I have won and lost the same number of games as a collegiate coach. Buzz has lost 20 more games than he has won, and is something like 48 games in the red in his last two jobs. So no, I don't think there is any evidence, whatsoever, that Buzz knows anything more about coaching than anyone on this board.

These folks are out-of-touch assholes, who like Wellman, think they are smarter than everyone else, and that basketball coaching is some kind of intuitive magic that defies all logic and statistics, and that Buzz is some sort of idiot basketball savant who will eventutally beat Duke or something. I guaran-fucking-tee that not one of these supporters would use the same criteria in choosing their portfolio managers.

Actually, apparently there are some very wealthy people involved with Wake Forest who have more money than brains and extremely low expectations. To all of you out there, give me a call. I will be happy to take over your investments (for a marginal fee) if you promise to hold me to the same standards you do our craptastic athletic director and basketball coach.

Oh, and #LoboOut while we're at it.

Last edited:
And I overheard the opposite at the gym last week- from an alum, who named his oldest child after two great Deacon basketball players...that [Redacted] needs a little more time to work with "his guys" and develop "his system" and no matter what "his record as a college basketball coach is better than any of the people complaining about him" and "Ron Wellman knows what he's doing, I trust that he is making decisions that are in the best interest of our program".

It just makes me sad.

It dawned on me tonight that I have never seen Wellman asked the following: If Dino had made it to the Final Four in 2010, would he have still been fired? To be consistent with his explanation at the time, he would have to say "No." To be consistent with the current party line, the answer would be "Yes."

It dawned on me tonight that I have never seen Wellman asked the following: If Dino had made it to the Final Four in 2010, would he have still been fired? To be consistent with his explanation at the time, he would have to say "No." To be consistent with the current party line, the answer would be "Yes."

Ron Wellman won't talk about hypotheticals. He sticks to half-truths and platitudes.

That fucking Miami win was a more of a nut shot than I even imagined when I was standing there sulking while students rushed the court.

To be fair though, Bz would probably be back regardless. Miami is just a talking point.

Anybody who really believes he's the answer would still believe if we hadn't beaten Miami.

Miami allowed us to hit the pathetic number of 13 wins (VT at home was always in the bag)

I heard 13 wins before and during the season, but no doubt it would have been adjusted to 12.

It just makes me sad.

Did you ask this fellow why Buzz needs so much time? He came in with a nationally ranked recruiting class. Other coaches arrive at new positions with little in the cupboard and do much better from the start.

I had 13 this year. I going in early on a big improvement next year. We win 15. I don't know what the schedule will look like but Wellman has to be looking at as many sub 200 teams as he can find for the OOC schedule. Until we get a big like Michigan's McGary we are going to struggle mightily.

Out of the blue this quote: "The worst day wasn't the day that Skip Prosser died?"

Out of the blue this quote: "The worst day wasn't the day that Skip Prosser died?"

I'm pretty sure the OP edited the title there. I imagine it was originally "Worst day in Wake basketball" or whatever the title is.

Yeah. It's edited about 8 posts in.

That fucking Miami win was a more of a nut shot than I even imagined when I was standing there sulking while students rushed the court.

Rushing the court is my favorite part of being a Wake Forest fan. It's literally the most exhilarating feeling as a fan (except I guess when the win a championship, I wouldn't know). I've done it two different times, the Duke game in 2003 and the Carolina game in 2009.

I didn't rush the court either time this year even though I was at both games. It just wasn't right.

Back