• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Keep Randolph as assistant!

Did Manning pick Childress or did Wellman pick Childress?

my understanding is that Childress staying is absolute. The other 2 coaching positions and the coordinator are of Danny's choosing. No guarantees,etc for Rusty or Battle.

Childress was the one the past few years that the players leaned on when Chill worked in an AD assistant role and as an assistant coach. CHildress is just as charismatic and loved by the players as he is by all of us - this has been obvious to the upper administration and key alumni.

Childress and Manning will get along great and complement each other just like a lights out shooting point guard and an athletic big man would complement each other on the floor.

This seems to make the case that he'd be best in the Director of Player Development role. What are the compelling reasons he should be an assistant coach instead?

I love Childress. Watched every game he played in the Joel and many road games. If you or anybody else has a cogent, compelling case for him to be retained, I'd love to read it.

Childress's philosophy on coaching is that you get the talent, and that's what matters. ala a Calipari model. He thinks he can go into any room and sell, and I wouldn't bet against Randolph Childress, he sold me.

Randolph Childress wants to be our head coach someday, and we deserve to give him everything we can to make that happen. I can just look at CMM yr1 to yr2 to say there's some evidence he can coach guards.

Last edited:
Do you not realize how many of our players would have transferred already if not for Chill? Travis would have been gone 2 years ago. He connects with the players. I want a warrior on the bench who has been there and done that- hit a 3 pointer in grant hills face to win a game in Cameron , hit 5 straight 3s in the Joel in successive trips down the court , 107 in the ACCT, cut down the nets, scored 20 pts a game 3 straight years, hit more game winning shots than anyone I can recall on the college level... Letting him go would be a HUGE mistake. Not to mention that he has a son who is connected with local recruits and is becoming an ACC level recruit. Do you want Chill's son lighting us up for another team? Get a grip

THIS!

Do you not realize how many of our players would have transferred already if not for Chill? Travis would have been gone 2 years ago. He connects with the players. I want a warrior on the bench who has been there and done that- hit a 3 pointer in grant hills face to win a game in Cameron , hit 5 straight 3s in the Joel in successive trips down the court , 107 in the ACCT, cut down the nets, scored 20 pts a game 3 straight years, hit more game winning shots than anyone I can recall on the college level... Letting him go would be a HUGE mistake. Not to mention that he has a son who is connected with local recruits and is becoming an ACC level recruit. Do you want Chill's son lighting us up for another team? Get a grip

That's not really a compelling argument to keep him.

this is knowledge from a very inside source that of course like all leaks, must reman anonymous. This person would know all the details.

Like everything, I will believe it when I see the official announcement.

AWESOME if true. Randolph Childress is the personification of what Wake should be on the court. Moxy.

IS he a warrior on the bench? honest question. (too far away to get to games, and hard to tell on tv). the few times i've got a glimpse he seems unhappy and disinterested. was that a function of you know who or is sitting and watching just not in his dna?

my understanding is that Childress staying is absolute. The other 2 coaching positions and the coordinator are of Danny's choosing. No guarantees,etc for Rusty or Battle.

Childress was the one the past few years that the players leaned on when Chill worked in an AD assistant role and as an assistant coach. CHildress is just as charismatic and loved by the players as he is by all of us - this has been obvious to the upper administration and key alumni.

Childress and Manning will get along great and complement each other just like a lights out shooting point guard and an athletic big man would complement each other on the floor.

Manning has indicated that one of the Tulsa assistant coaches has already left the program. So, he has at least one opening. (from Chrispy TOB) Chill would be a good choice: he is a winner.

Childress has been the most badass Wake basketball player in my entire association with the school. I cannot think of anyone who personifies the spirit I would want all our athletes to have more than him. He's about the only former player I would want on the bench solely due to who he is and was during his playing career. Nevertheless, I feel DM should have complete freedom to name his staff and he should retain Chill only if that is deemed a positive hire by his own reckoning.

This!

I do like Manning's comment about us being a sleeping giant...

Where was this?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ap-source-wake-hires-danny-132756859--ncaab.html

Manning called the Demon Deacons a ''sleeping giant,'' one that he believes will be able to contend with Tobacco Road rivals Duke and North Carolina in the near future.

''A few years back, they were ranked No. 1 in the country,'' Manning told AP. ''They've had great players. You're about Chris Paul, Tim Duncan, just to name a few, because they've had quite a few.

''I'm looking forward to going there and being part of that great tradition.''

I hope he continues to set high expectations from the outset the way Clawson did.

The Sleeping Giant boys, The Sleeping Giant... I hope he is right...

As long as Chilldress really improves his recruiting (his most notable recruit leaves a lot to be desired), I think it is great to keep him involved with the team. Hope Manning chooses to retain him.

This is a crucial recruiting period. Get an experienced assistant in there.

Back