• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Keep the tournament out of Greensboro

Yesterday was a sell-out :wiggle:

I'd go to an ACC Tournament in Miami

Yesterday was a sell-out :wiggle:

I'd go to an ACC Tournament in Miami

I would imagine that most of the teams playing yesterday lost money on the games. No way all 8 schools sold their full allotment.

the thread title makes me think of the "keep god out of california" skit in jackass.

The tournament belongs in Greensboro (CLT at the very least, but I don't think it's as conference focused as G'boro). Now, maybe it's just because I am an ACC purist (I admittedly turn my nose up at any team admitted after SC left and GT joined); but I don't give a damn about how far Pitt and Cuse have to travel. We've all had to make some sacrifices for this expansion crap!

Plus, if you're worried about there being things to do, you're not really there for basketball anyways. Take a trip somewhere else and let a fan of the game buy your ticket and take up space. Even if your team flames out, you've got a book of tickets -- go to the rest of the games. Honestly, you only have Saturday night free, so hit up a bar and watch another conference tournament. If you're worried about entertaining the wife and kids, leave them at home. I'm a female, so this notion that the wife can't come to the game and thus needs to be entertained sounds like some kind of marital issue that needs to be worked out in therapy, not during March Madness. I get that there's no public transportation, but the traffic is never that bad (and last year there was a shuttle that ran from Koury right to the front door of ACC museum -- it was great to walk through the museum on the way to the games). I will concede that PTI sucks something bad -- fly into RDU or CLT and rent a car; it's an easy 1-1.5 hr drive. That's nothing.

Putting the tourney in a huge venue doesn't work -- more supply than demand and the environment is not what it's supposed to be. There's also the risk that people will get sidetracked by some other event/attraction and skip the game. Greensboro eliminates that concern b/c, as much as I like visiting it, there's nothing there. Taking it to a "desintation" location is for people that don't want to watch basketball. And if you're not a basketball fan, stay home. You only need a place to sleep, shower, eat and park. Everything else is just a distraction.

The tournament belongs in Greensboro (CLT at the very least, but I don't think it's as conference focused as G'boro). Now, maybe it's just because I am an ACC purist (I admittedly turn my nose up at any team admitted after SC left and GT joined); but I don't give a damn about how far Pitt and Cuse have to travel. We've all had to make some sacrifices for this expansion crap!

Plus, if you're worried about there being things to do, you're not really there for basketball anyways. Take a trip somewhere else and let a fan of the game buy your ticket and take up space. Even if your team flames out, you've got a book of tickets -- go to the rest of the games. Honestly, you only have Saturday night free, so hit up a bar and watch another conference tournament. If you're worried about entertaining the wife and kids, leave them at home. I'm a female, so this notion that the wife can't come to the game and thus needs to be entertained sounds like some kind of marital issue that needs to be worked out in therapy, not during March Madness. I get that there's no public transportation, but the traffic is never that bad (and last year there was a shuttle that ran from Koury right to the front door of ACC museum -- it was great to walk through the museum on the way to the games). I will concede that PTI sucks something bad -- fly into RDU or CLT and rent a car; it's an easy 1-1.5 hr drive. That's nothing.

Putting the tourney in a huge venue doesn't work -- more supply than demand and the environment is not what it's supposed to be. There's also the risk that people will get sidetracked by some other event/attraction and skip the game. Greensboro eliminates that concern b/c, as much as I like visiting it, there's nothing there. Taking it to a "desintation" location is for people that don't want to watch basketball. And if you're not a basketball fan, stay home. You only need a place to sleep, shower, eat and park. Everything else is just a distraction.

I love that this post came from a woman named "Grow a Pair". +1

Back