• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Kentucky Derby thread

They run the absolute fuck out of the horses. When they inevitably get injured, because running this fast in a circle over and over is at the very margins of physical capabilities of the animals, they inject then with pain killers and steroids and keep running them. Then when they get get so injured that they can’t walk anymore or breed, they euthanize them. Racing industry is brutal on the horses.

Sounds a lot like football, absent the euthanasia

Yeah this shit is absolutely brutal. I can’t believe people can get behind this in 2023. 7 animals dead because of this crap.
Apparently nobody got my Sopranos joke on the ct, so I was gonna use it here, but if Dixie didn’t get it it would seem really, really mean. I used it in the ct to Palma and I wasn’t worried about upsetting him because he’s incapable of human emotion.

Apparently nobody got my Sopranos joke on the ct, so I was gonna use it here, but if Dixie didn’t get it it would seem really, really mean. I used it in the ct to Palma and I wasn’t worried about upsetting him because he’s incapable of human emotion.
Haha I didn’t see it over there!

I think humans are aware of the risks but humans are horrible at assessing risks. Humans are also very aware of the rewards.

Sounds a lot like football, absent the euthanasia
I would bet part of the haste to euthanize is that these horses, with proper care, can live for up to 30 years. But their racing career ends by age 4, so that is up to 26 years of feeding, housing, vetting and paying for a horse that’s to injured to do anything. They need these animals to win a few races so that the owners can get some stud fees or brood mare fees once the racing career is over, or be in good enough shape to be resold after racing is over. If they don’t win, they won’t breed or if their legs are too torn up to do show jumping or dressage they won’t sell, and so they’ll cost a lot of money in the coming decades. I am sure the euthanizing standards are way lower in horse racing than in other horse sports.

I would bet part of the haste to euthanize is that these horses, with proper care, can live for up to 30 years. But their racing career ends by age 4, so that is up to 26 years of feeding, housing, vetting and paying for a horse that’s to injured to do anything. They need these animals to win a few races so that the owners can get some stud fees or brood mare fees once the racing career is over, or be in good enough shape to be resold after racing is over. If they don’t win, they won’t breed or if their legs are too torn up to do show jumping or dressage they won’t sell, and so they’ll cost a lot of money in the coming decades. I am sure the euthanizing standards are way lower in horse racing than in other horse sports.
How could any vet do this? It’s absolutely insane and, to me, borderline criminal animal cruelty.

Whoa, let’s hold off on blaming the vets. Owners make decisions on care. If the procedure to repair an animal costs a bunch of money the vet presents an owner with options and recovery probabilities. Euthanasia is always an option with serious cases/injuries and cost is always a factor. I am saying the owners in the racing industry are probably a lot quicker to choose euthanasia than in dressage.

Whoa, let’s hold off on blaming the vets. Owners make decisions on care. If the procedure to repair an animal costs a bunch of money the vet presents an owner with options and recovery probabilities. Euthanasia is always an option with serious cases/injuries and cost is always a factor. I am saying the owners in the racing industry are probably a lot quicker to choose euthanasia than in dressage.

It’s just kinda fucked that rich people get the option to put down their horses rather than take care of them (and that vets participate in it).

I would imagine there is an insurance consideration by the owners as well.

Just wait til this board learns about industrial livestock farming !

Just wait til this board learns about industrial livestock farming !
That’s a false equivalency. At least one is for food. And the pushback against awful conditions at those has at least started to cause some change.

That’s a false equivalency. At least one is for food. And the pushback against awful conditions at those has at least started to cause some change.
I’m not making them equivalent

It’s just kinda fucked that rich people get the option to put down their horses rather than take care of them (and that vets participate in it).
I mean, people do this all the time with all sorts of pets, and it rarely comes down to the vet being at fault. Im sure some vets are more willing to go along with owners than others but this is 99.9% on shitty owners. I can relay dozens of stories of rich and poor people abandoning dogs at the pound or telling a vet to put a dog down because they don’t want to take care of them or can’t afford to. What is the vet going to do? Assume ownership? Get the county to take possession of an injured race horse? My wife has brought home two horses in the last 3 years because owners didn’t want treat it and told her to euthanize. Her only option was to kill the horse or assume ownership.

Back