• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Kentucky Derby thread

I mean, people do this all the time with all sorts of pets, and it rarely comes down to the vet being at fault. Im sure some vets are more willing to go along with owners than others but this is 99.9% on shitty owners. I can relay dozens of stories of rich and poor people abandoning dogs at the pound or telling a vet to put a dog down because they don’t want to take care of them or can’t afford to. What is the vet going to do? Assume ownership? Get the county to take possession of an injured race horse? My wife has brought home two horses in the last 3 years because owners didn’t want treat it and told her to euthanize. Her only option was to kill the horse or assume ownership.
Sure. That’s different than working for a racetrack where this happens all the time though.

Sure. That’s different than working for a racetrack where this happens all the time though.
I don’t think it’s all that different but I’m just defending vets at this point. Racing industry sucks but the vets are not the issue.

I mean, people do this all the time with all sorts of pets, and it rarely comes down to the vet being at fault. Im sure some vets are more willing to go along with owners than others but this is 99.9% on shitty owners. I can relay dozens of stories of rich and poor people abandoning dogs at the pound or telling a vet to put a dog down because they don’t want to take care of them or can’t afford to. What is the vet going to do? Assume ownership? Get the county to take possession of an injured race horse? My wife has brought home two horses in the last 3 years because owners didn’t want treat it and told her to euthanize. Her only option was to kill the horse or assume ownership.
i feel like in this specific instance there are probably a lot of people and organizations willing to do what the filthy rich owner isn't willing to do. But I'm just a sucker who will probably go into unpayable levels of debt if anything happens to my pup.

FWIW, the Churchill Downs stewards scratched Derby favorite Forte against the wishes of his trainer and owner. While it may be the pressure from the loss of horses during the week, at least for the high-profile races there is a system in place for a third party that find that each horse is fit to race.

Forte is expected to run in the Preakness.

The opposite of much of the discussion is Smarty Jones, KY Derby and Preakness winner in 2004.

The story of the filly Ruffian is why vets don't often try to do surgical repair on legs of horses.

So is the story of Barbaro.

First, a Run for the Roses. Then, a Dash to the Breeding Shed.

"On the racetrack, it took Flightline two years and six undefeated races to earn $4.5 million in purses. Doing what came naturally twice a day in the breeding shed, he matched that total in 11 days, doubled it in 22 and, with 155 mares in his date book, will have generated $31 million in earnings by the end of the five-month breeding in July."

Crazy on multiple levels.

155 mares in 150 days? Pretty pretty good.

This would be better?

8092974-6554419-image-m-53_1546531254717.jpg

Back