• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Kentucky Derby TODAY

Seems like a BS decision.

To someone that doesn’t follow horse racing.

What's also odd about this decision is that after the race there can be two claims of foul. The first is called an inquiry which is made by the racing judges. The second is an objection which is a claim of foul by a jockey or jockeys. I'd guess inquiries account for 95-98% of the disqualifications you'll see. This started as an objection.

It's doubly odd in that after the judges looked at the objection for several minutes they put up an inquiry. I can't ever remember seeing that happen.

Oh well.

I made and enjoyed my first mint julep in celebration of the weirdly decided horse race.

A historic day. On to the Preakness. Wasn't even close on my parlays.

As someone who doesn't follow horse racing closely why does the horse who ended up winning get to object when he was on the outside and not affected? Seems like BS

Whereas the actual horse bumped didn't object. I dont get it

As someone who doesn't follow horse racing closely why does the horse who ended up winning get to object when he was on the outside and not affected? Seems like BS

Whereas the actual horse bumped didn't object. I dont get it

Because it cheated

Duh

RE: Keeping the mount -Unless a superstar is available, Saez will keep the mount. He's a star.

Maximum Security was much, much the best yesterday. He was challenged in what normally would have been a very fast pace in the mud for the first half mile and still drew off.

Country House may be the luckiest horse in the history of the Derby. He wasn't close to being as good a MS nor was he interfered with by MS, yet he was put up.

I am amazed that the Pick 4 only paid $11,000 or so. This means about 300 people had Country House on their correct ticket. That's insane. A point of reference was the lowest probable payout was about $940. This should have easily paid $40,000+.

We'll see if Mandella leaves Omaha Beach in KY and runs him in the Preakness. His illness wasn't that serious, but Mandella is very conservative about running his young horses. Other than Omaha Beach, no one from the Derby should be under 8/1 against MS.

I do not know horse racing rules. One announcer said the rules differ in our different states.
I did not see it live on tv. Even seeing the replay, it is hard for me to see the major foul. Race seems to have a good deal of bumping with horses so closely packed.Too many horses.
Max Security was ahead and jockey said the sudden crowd noise startled him and he moved before jockey got him back under control. Guess they have 'lane' to maintain rules but how was the jockey to know what was just behind him? Was he blocking intentional by jockey or reaction by horse? How does that matter? likely doesn't.
Again, too many horses and something bad could have happened. In auto racing the lead driver blocks all the time, but they have spotters and a RW mirror to execute their moves. However, most commentators seemed to agree with the DQ.

Last edited:
Different states do have different rules. Some have it that a foul is a foul. Others only DQ if they think it cost a horse a placing.

One of the reasons the announcers fell in line is they understand it's already an iffy situation and didn't want to take away from the winner.

This is no different than cycling, a racer doesn't keep his lane at the finish he's likely to be relegated. NBC screwed the pooch on the coverage. There was only one guy on the coverage who pointed out that MS went from lane 2 to lane 5 on the track. That impeded 3-4 horses making them taking a wider line. FWIW, as an impartial viewer but familiar similar rules in other sports, I don't think this was an outrageous decision. NBC clearly just wanted to wrap their coverage, as if the stewards were listening to them.

21 dead horses at Santa Anita and this horse was literally kicking War of Will after pulling into his lane. This would not have been the result five years ago but I is now. It’s the right call also IMO, although the wrong horse unfortunately won.

He's also appealing the DQ.

Depending on who else enters, this will likely be one of those rare Preaknesses where the Derby winner isn't the favorite. Country House could easily go off at 6-1.

I wouldn't be shocked to see two of Baffert's Derby horses in the Preakness. Pletcher runs his horses a lot so he'll have someone in B'more.

Running in the mud may give a couple of Derby runners-up the excuse they need to run their horses back so quickly.

The odd thing is Bill Mott is not one of the trainers who likes to run his horse back so quickly. After any other big race, I'd bet against Mott running his horse back in two weeks. It's going to be really difficult not to run Country House.

Not knowing much at all about horse racing, my initial bias was shaped by the TV commentary which in real time initially reflected skepticism that there would/should be a disqualification.

Definitely easier to understand the ruling upon further reading and reflection.

And I suspect the result is unsatisfying for most participants and observers.

Maximum Security's illegal move may have changed results for several horses, but we'll never know for sure. If War of Wills doesn't have to slow down, and has a clear lane outside MS but inside Country House, does he run down MS? Does he finish second, less than a length behind MS but ahead of CH?

Could any of the other impacted horses have made enough run to get into third or fourth? Answers are unknowable, but because the action of MS leaves so many questions about finish order unanswerable, he had to be disqualified and put behind all the others.

I think we were very lucky that there wasn't a massive pileup and multiple injured horses and jockeys. If War of Wills had stepped on the heels of Maximum Security, he could easily go down and take down multiple horses behind him.

They should have gone right to the source and asked the horse.

I can't believe no one has charged breeders with sex trafficking. That is what they do.

It's also not fair that the stallions haven't organized into a strong union. How much of his $600K+ fee does Galileo actually get? Does Tapit even get paid vacations or have a personal masseuse while he delivers north of $20M/year in stud fees?

Back