• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Keys to next year’s FB team

Lots of talk if Hinton can replace Wolfords productivity and I think he can but with a twist. Instead of an offense that has 200 yds rushing and 280 passing I think we could see closer to 300 rushing and 200-250 passing. Hinton’s speed, quickness and ability to cut will put Ds on their heels and we should have Dortch or Hines on orbit every down to keep the Ds honest as well as take advantage of their speed and elusiveness and open up more holes for Hinton and RBs. Plus I love how Hinton could hit either Dortch/Hinton with a quick screen/dump pass when don’t hand off with them already running and really putting stress on DBs

Hinton throws a great deep ball. The key is the short throws and making reads. He can be as good or better than Wolford in many ways. More than likely, he will be the starter but we will have good options. The spring competition begins in a few short weeks.

The one problem with Hinton is that he isn't accurate. It's hard to teach accuracy. Hinton has a lot of great traits, but his lack of accuracy scares me. With the talent we have at receiver, we need to get them the ball quickly and let them make plays.

I'm not sure where the myth of Hinton's inaccuracy came from. He can throw the ball fine. I think a lot of people are just looking at things that Wolford did well and assuming that Hinton is a drastic step back. Was Wolford accurate? Yes, probably more so than Hinton, but that doesn't mean that Hinton is necessarily inaccurate. In his game play, I haven't come away thinking, "man, he can't hit anybody."

From actual on-field play, my only concern with Hinton is his propensity to default to running. I think he'll get better running the RPO as he is the guy and the game/reads slow down and as he builds trust in the OL and receivers - both of which were probably lacking in all of his game time up to this point.

Last edited:
I'm not sure where the myth of Hinton's inaccuracy came from. He can throw the ball fine. I think a lot of people are just looking at things that Wolford did well and assuming that Hinton is a drastic step back. Was Wolford accurate? Yes, probably more so than Hinton, but that doesn't mean that Hinton is necessarily inaccurate. In his game play, I haven't come away thinking, "man, he can't hit anybody."

From actual on-field play, my only concern with Hinton is his propensity to default to running. I think he'll get better running the RPO as he is the guy and the game/reads slow down and as he builds trust in the OL and receivers - both of which were probably lacking in all of his fame time up to this point.

this

From actual on-field play, my only concern with Hinton is his propensity to default to running. I think he'll get better running the RPO as he is the guy and the game/reads slow down and as he builds trust in the OL and receivers - both of which were probably lacking in all of his game time up to this point.

I think that is skewed by the fact that except for the Clemson game this year (one of the best defenive fronts in the country), Hinton's resume consists of games played behind a struggling O-line. Wolford also had a tendency to run or go into the fetal position very quickly behind the O-line we had prior to this year. If our O-line is as good or hopefully even better next year, I think that will help Hinton as much as anything.

The one problem with Hinton is that he isn't accurate. It's hard to teach accuracy. Hinton has a lot of great traits, but his lack of accuracy scares me. With the talent we have at receiver, we need to get them the ball quickly and let them make plays.

I have never "had a dog in this fight" but Hinton's accuracy appeared much improved in his early appearances this past year. Now, accuracy was Wolford's signature strength so we'll just have to wait and see how Hinton goes when he's the main guy. Up till now Hinton has had a special "run package" for the offense when he's been inserted in games. If we continue with that package then it necessarily will be different from what Wolford's offense was running.

I think that is skewed by the fact that except for the Clemson game this year (one of the best defenive fronts in the country), Hinton's resume consists of games played behind a struggling O-line. Wolford also had a tendency to run or go into the fetal position very quickly behind the O-line we had prior to this year. If our O-line is as good or hopefully even better next year, I think that will help Hinton as much as anything.

definitely. that was the second part of that statement - as he gets more QB1 reps and build trust in the OL, I think the reads will improve and he'll see that he doesn't have to rely on his feet getting him out of jams.

One of the biggest improvements to the O this year was the OL giving Wolford time to make a slow read, giving him time to read receivers, not just the give/run portion. Our option is actually fairly unique, in that the RPO is more of a PRO. Most RPOs looked like what we ran early in the year with Dortch. Read 1 - read the DE/LB for the running lane for the RB. Read 2 - outlet pass to WR in the flat or hitch (effectively using the WR as the pitch man in a triple option). Ours actually reverses this and the pass on the slant or up the seam is the first read - if that's open, you pull and fire. Then you make the running reads. It requires a longer mesh to gauge how the LB or DB is playing the route, and the OL was not giving the QB time to do that in previous years - the QB barely had time to do a quick give/keep read before it collapsed.

I'm not sure where the myth of Hinton's inaccuracy came from.

It comes from his 52.5% completion percentage in his one season of meaningful playing time, which would have ranked him ~115 in the country, on not very long passes (5.2 yards/attempt, which would have ranked him second to last among all qualifying D1 QBs this year). His career stats -- 53.9% and 6.2 y/a -- when adding his limited action since is not much better.

As I've said, I think he's in a situation that could bear an all-ACC season, but I also don't think it's unreasonable to be doubtful.

If Wake runs the RPO next year with 2 slot receivers on the field, I would hate to be a DC for the opposing team. VERY mobile qb, good running backs, good o-line and each WR can house one.

How do you stack the box against 4-wide? Seems like a recipe to get burned.
Put too many small DBs on the field and Wake runs for 300.

Next years O could be nasty

I think this is spot on. I think what made wolford better than his accuracy, is the quick decision making. If running is in the back of Hinton's mind all the time, throws may not be on time. I think he can be as accurate as wolford, but often, not throwing on time looks like an accuracy issue when it isn't.

Hinton was 13/17 for 76% against teams not named Clemson this year. That tells me when he has time and the receivers are open, he is very accurate.

Small Sample Size. but don't think there is anything indicating he isn't accurate. Just that he hasn't run the offense in game situations like Wolford has. I'd be focused more on whether he can make quick reads and quick decisions with the ball than whether he can throw a 10 yard out, or 7 yard slant route.

Hinton is accurate, but Wolford had got to a place where he was more often than not both accurate AND he hit the receiver exactly where they wanted the ball. In the past, I have seen Hinton throw the slot screen pass we run and it was caught BUT the receiver had to step back for it or pull it off his boot etc...

If you played behind our OLine in 2015 and 2016, you'd think run quickly as well.

Easier said than done. This happens even at the NFL level and is why the "back shoulder" throw against man coverage is the in vogue pass in college and pro football because DBs cover the man instead of looking for the ball like they do in a zone defense. When a DB in man coverage gets caught peeking away from a receiver, that is the moment when a receiver breaks wide open and leads to a huge play. That said, on deep balls when the DB is running stride for stride with the receiver, an elite DB will watch the eyes of the receiver and when he sees the receiver looking up for the ball, the DB will then turn his head to try to find it as well to make a play on the ball. Again, easier said than done.

And elite receivers know that and sometimes use it to make the DB turn around prematurely and can then break away. Games within games.

If you played behind our OLine in 2015 and 2016, you'd think run quickly as well.

True. Amazing that Wolford was thrown to the wolves the first two years, lost his job, then came back to have a really great Bowl game last year and a fantastic senior year. Usually freshman beat up like Wolford was don't come back and play like he did this year.

It would be awesome if we continue bringing in talent at QB year after year to have players compete for the position, and not have to play so early in their career. We could really see some leadership and consistently steady play out of the position.

Last edited:
I have never "had a dog in this fight" but Hinton's accuracy appeared much improved in his early appearances this past year. Now, accuracy was Wolford's signature strength so we'll just have to wait and see how Hinton goes when he's the main guy. Up till now Hinton has had a special "run package" for the offense when he's been inserted in games. If we continue with that package then it necessarily will be different from what Wolford's offense was running.

The Heisman winner two years ago was not near as accurate as Wolford.

Back