• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Keys to Victory: FSU

FSU still has FSU caliber athletes. Their freshman RB is strong and quick. We will have to play much better than we did Saturday in order to win. And we will have to go uptempo more rather than less. Finally, I would not be surprised if we have to play Hinton against FSU.

FSU still has FSU caliber athletes. Their freshman RB is strong and quick. We will have to play much better than we did Saturday in order to win. And we will have to go uptempo more rather than less. Finally, I would not be surprised if we have to play Hinton against FSU.

Injury or poor play?

If we continue to run this standing still option we will lose. The hold the ball in the backfield and hope that the offensive line can hold blocks for an extra few seconds is maybe the worst offensive philosophy I've ever seen.

If we continue to run this standing still option we will lose. The hold the ball in the backfield and hope that the offensive line can hold blocks for an extra few seconds is maybe the worst offensive philosophy I've ever seen.

It has absolutely ZERO chance of working against superior athletes and quickness which we'll see the next few games.

State did everything in their power to choke that game away.

Fumbled snap turned into a safety (to avoid the defense TD)
Blocked punt

And FSU was as useless as frontmeat on a bull. They look rudderless.

I think you meant to write udderless...

It has absolutely ZERO chance of working against superior athletes and quickness which we'll see the next few games.

That's another reason to go with an empty backfield. If the first two reads aren't open, then Wolford needs to run like hell and then slide or get out of bounds. If you do that the whole first half, then some DBs for FSU might get caught peeking in the backfield and get burned.

Increasing the number of quick hitting passes out of the RPO and delayed screens out of the option formations will make the zone read option more difficult to defend IMO. We didn't do a great job (from my amateur eye) in mixing in the former two with the latter in the first half. The first drive of the game, and the second half where we were considerably more successful, we did a better job of mixing in shorter pass plays particularly curls and slants.

BTW did anyone watch the FSU/NC State game? Were you annoyed as I was that the announcers were falling all over themselves to make the 3 weeks of practice before the NCState game a liability? You lose your star QB in the first game. You have to get your freshman QB ready and get 3 weeks to do that. That's supposed to be bad?
I missed the sport caster's banter while tailgating with WF alums before ASU kickoff but clearly their perspective as described is illogical, therefore also, __________

Last edited:
Dortch's speed will be key. After he catches the ball, he runs as if to say, "Catch Me if You Can."

The problem is, FSU can. Really need some of our other WRs to step up and make plays. I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but the limited amount of snaps and targets for our best receiver last year, Tabari Hines, is very frustrating. Get him and Dortch on the field at the same time.

What is the purpose of the play that our running back makes a move and then stops but proceeds to keep running in place with his feet and arms? Is that trying to fool the defense? I hate it, it looks stupid and I don't see any other team running it.

The problem is, FSU can. Really need some of our other WRs to step up and make plays. I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but the limited amount of snaps and targets for our best receiver last year, Tabari Hines, is very frustrating. Get him and Dortch on the field at the same time.

I really hope we are saving that for the big games starting Saturday.

I agree. Hines can absolutely fly. We should give him a good nickname like The Aviator.

I was pleasantly surprised by Washington. He's a big dude, and caught a couple of huge balls.

What is the purpose of the play that our running back makes a move and then stops but proceeds to keep running in place with his feet and arms? Is that trying to fool the defense? I hate it, it looks stupid and I don't see any other team running it.

I swear someone tried to explain this last year. I don't recall what the rationale was, but I do recall thinking it still wasn't a good reason to do it. I don't understand doing it either.

I swear someone tried to explain this last year. I don't recall what the rationale was, but I do recall thinking it still wasn't a good reason to do it. I don't understand doing it either.

It doesn't work. When something works other schools copy it. The standing still option is a fail. Are we hoping that the defenders will get too far into the backfield and then we'll run by them? It's insane.

Auden Tate is day to day with a shoulder injury. Dude is awesome - we'd be lucky to avoid him if he's out or limited.

Back