• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KEYS TO VT MATCHUP

JimDuncan

Reaction score
VT has five consecutive games with double digit 3-pointers. They are shooting at an insane clip (40.9% from 3) and spreading people out and just firing away. They've basically accepted the loss of Chris Clarke on the interior and taken a page from Marshall's playbook (Google: Marshall and Dan D'Antoni). Seth Allen is a fantastic guard who can drive and dish with the best of them.

Need to keep Allen in front of us, limit Leday on offense (avg 15 ppg and it's his Senior Day game), and close out on shooters.

VT has five consecutive games with double digit 3-pointers. They are shooting at an insane clip (40.9% from 3) and spreading people out and just firing away. They've basically accepted the loss of Chris Clarke on the interior and taken a page from Marshall's playbook (Google: Marshall and Dan D'Antoni). Seth Allen is a fantastic guard who can drive and dish with the best of them.

Need to keep Allen in front of us, limit Leday on offense (avg 15 ppg and it's his Senior Day game), and close out on shooters.

Hmmmm - all things we have not done very well.

Yeah, it sucks because if we play aggressively on the perimeter we're asking to get burned off the dribble which will likely lead to Collins getting in foul trouble, but if we sink back they'll crush us from 3. I guess we just play aggressive out there while Moore is in/Collins is out, and sink off while Collins is in. This is the underlying reason why we're not a good defensive team. I think if we bring the effort and mechanics we showed flashes of against Louisville and Pitt, then we can definitely win this game. Say what you will about Pitt's shooting, but I thought our defense has looked as good as it is ever going to the last 2 games.

Last edited:
A newly found positive is that SJM showed he can play competent defense so WF has 5 more fouls to use if playing aggressive on the outside.

Tyrone Outlaw has joined Allen as go-to players for the Hokies. Outlaw is something like 21-for-29 of his recent 3-point attempts. That's obscene for someone listed as a power forward.

I'm worried about Bibbs. He isn't having as good a year as years past, but I know he's torched us in the past.

If Miami had limited Tyrone Outlaw to 67% shooting for 3s in the last game, they would have won. He is the guy that has been beating people lately for them.

we should stop them from scoring as many points as us

A newly found positive is that SJM showed he can play competent defense so WF has 5 more fouls to use if playing aggressive on the outside.

After the UL game, I want to see more of SJM and less of Moore. Still, 10 fouls between them should help Collins tremendously.

We've shown the ability to play some defense lately. The 2nd half against Pitt and really the last 30 minutes against Louisville we really played pretty strong defense. That gives me some hope we can do that tomorrow. A win tomorrow gets us into the big dance I think, even if we crap ourselves in the first round in Brooklyn.

Just remember, you can't spell "All-Star Post Force Johnny Collins" without ACCPOY.

After the UL game, I want to see more of SJM and less of Moore. Still, 10 fouls between them should help Collins tremendously.

Meh, I think Moore just had a bad night against a very athletic Louisville team. He has never been a great 1 on 1 defender. He's much better when it comes to guarding the paint against slashers and penetrating guards. I say put him out there, then play in their shirts on D around the perimeter. Force them to make the extra pass after penetration or get swatted.

I wouldn't mind seeing Moore and Big Sam use all their fouls.

Need to play with defensive urgency from tip off. Can't take time to settle into the game after VT hits a few 3's and decide "sheesh, guess I really gotta close out on the perimeter with these guys"

Back