• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Kill the Death Penalty

as a physician this shit boggles my mind. I'm not an anesthesiologist but even I could rattle off a little cocktail right now that would kill people no problem. The issue must be dosing because given in a high enough dose propofol alone will kill you (ask Michael Jackson). Honestly this is stupid. These states need to consult an anesthesiologist and get it right.

One article I saw had a quote from the warden saying she thought it went well and never saw gasping. There's toeing the party line and there's being foolish about denying the ship's sinking while treading water.

I read the same thing 94..Silly. The fact it took nearly two hours is alone ridiculous. There really is no denying the clown shoes nature of this.

Ms. Dietz might have benefitted from an NRA self defense course to supplement her reliance on a government order of protection and quick dialing fingers:

Wood and Debbie Dietz had a tumultuous relationship during which he repeatedly assaulted her. She tried to end their relationship and got an order of protection against Wood.

On the day of the shooting, Wood went to the auto shop and waited for Gene Dietz, who disapproved of his daughter's relationship with Wood, to get off the phone. Once the father hung up, Wood pulled out a revolver, shot him in the chest and then smiled.

Wood then turned his attention toward Debbie Dietz, who was trying to telephone for help. Wood grabbed her by the neck and put his gun to her chest. She pleaded with him to spare her life. An employee heard Wood say, "I told you I was going to do it. I have to kill you." He then called her an expletive and fired two shots in her chest.

guysmilingatfiringsquad.jpg

If your objection is a procedural one, the guillotine would solve that.

in all seriousness, I am 100% in favor of bringing back the guillotine. It's fast, cheap, essentially painless for the condemned, it doesn't require any physicians to be party to homicide, and best of all, it might eventually force Americans to realize that executing people is a barbaric practice unworthy of a 21st century state that claims to be civilized - not a medical procedure.

Ms. Dietz might have benefitted from an NRA self defense course to supplement her reliance on a government order of protection and quick dialing fingers:

If this is a reference to the NRA fighting to ensure those under order of protection can still access guns, it is some quality trolling. Sick, but well done.

in all seriousness, I am 100% in favor of bringing back the guillotine. It's fast, cheap, essentially painless for the condemned, it doesn't require any physicians to be party to homicide, and best of all, it might eventually force Americans to realize that executing people is a barbaric practice unworthy of a 21st century state that claims to be civilized - not a medical procedure.

The Montagnards win again!

In all seriousness, I'm in favor as well, at least for the first 3 reasons you state. I also tend to think executions should be carried out in the public square. I have a hunch that watching a head or two roll would tend to increase the deterrent value of the death penalty.

Rick Perry is asking for tying the condemned to a train track as a viable method of capital punishment.

In all seriousness, I'm in favor as well, at least for the first 3 reasons you state. I also tend to think executions should be carried out in the public square. I have a hunch that watching a head or two roll would tend to increase the deterrent value of the death penalty.

That's absolute crap. The DP has never been a deterrent and never will be.

Life without parole in a supermax is a worse and much cheaper punishment.

Would the possibility of death by guillotine stop you from killing someone in a way the possibility of death by lethal injection would not?

Would the possibility of death by guillotine stop you from killing someone in a way the possibility of death by lethal injection would not?

Hard to put myself in those shoes, but I suspect that violent public executions would cause the possibility of the death penalty to be more at the forefront of a would-be murderer's thought process.

Because you asked about me personally, I do have an anecdote that may or may not be relevant: I'm a visual learner, like most of us. I can't remember why, but I have seen videos of what happens when a nose is punched upwards into the brain. Obviously, bad things happen. I was jumped on the street a few years back, and when I was thinking about what to do, the images from that video flashed through my mind. I didn't punch the guy in the face because of my fear I'd kill him and have to deal with the fallout on my conscience and career. I may have had the same response had I not seen the video, but the image of what could happened was seared into my memory and, thus, my ongoing thought process.

I think watching heads roll could have a similar impact.

Hard to put myself in those shoes, but I suspect that violent public executions would cause the possibility of the death penalty to be more at the forefront of a would-be murderer's thought process.

Because you asked about me personally, I do have an anecdote that may or may not be relevant: I'm a visual learner, like most of us. I can't remember why, but I have seen videos of what happens when a nose is punched upwards into the brain. Obviously, bad things happen. I was jumped on the street a few years back, and when I was thinking about what to do, the images from that video flashed through my mind. I didn't punch the guy in the face because of my fear I'd kill him and have to deal with the fallout on my conscience and career. I may have had the same response had I not seen the video, but the image of what could happened was seared into my memory and, thus, my ongoing thought process.

I think watching heads roll could have a similar impact.

Eh, to each his own. I agree with you about consequences of your actions influencing behavior (I too ended up in a fight where my actions were driven by what might make it less likely for me to be arrested), but I think that for you and the vast majority of Americans out there the death penalty would be pretty far down the list of considerations if you considered murdering someone. Your conscience, the judgment of those around you, losing freedom, losing money, losing your job, losing your family- all of those things prevent you from murder before the possibility of losing your life ever comes into play. Given that the death penalty is almost exclusively administered as a result of premeditated murder (as opposed to an unlucky punch during a bar fight), I think the chances of death as a punishment would have next to no impact if someone is so far gone that they would lie in wait to kill someone.

Does anyone actually think a person who is about to commit murder stops to think, "Wait I might get executed in the public square?"

I think it's much more logical for him to think about making it a better crime. He already knows he can be executed.

Back