• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Kill the Death Penalty

That's absolute crap. The DP has never been a deterrent and never will be.

Life without parole in a supermax is a worse and much cheaper punishment.

This. The DP is punishment, not deterrent. And go ask Robert Hanssen how wonderful Supermax is. Prison is fucked up. Wouldn't you rather be dead than locked in prison?

At this point I just assume people who are still in favor of the death penalty are idiots rather than misinformed.

This. The DP is punishment, not deterrent. And go ask Robert Hanssen how wonderful Supermax is. Prison is fucked up. Wouldn't you rather be dead than locked in prison?

Don't they basically get both? That guy murdered those people in 1989...so he spent 25 years in prison THEN they killed him? What's the point? You've already spent all those resources incarcerating the person for that long, is there any real catharsis in killing them 25 years after the fact?

Administering the death penalty is yet another in a long line of processes we get wrong in the American criminal justice system. It's a comprehensive failing right now. Far too many people are in prison, in massively unequal numbers by race and class, compared to the nature of their crimes. Then once people are in prison, we have little interest in rehabilitation or preventing recidivism. Recent efforts have been focused on reducing costs, but privatization has shown demonstrably to be a failure, and a feedback loop for recidivism. And when capital crimes lead to the death penalty, we've executed innocent people and failed at killing guilty people.

It's probably the biggest black eye on America today. That we have a million more prisoners than China, a country 5X our size, is unconscionable.

One of the most chilling parts of John Oliver's piece on prisons was that the high recidivism rates are used by the prison management firms to sell stock to investors.

Yeah, but schools run "Scared Straight" programs all the time as a deterrent. So seemingly the same rationale would apply to the death penalty as a deterrent as well.

You guys owe it to yourselves to watch an execution. I've had two clients put to death in my 35-year career, and watched them both die. One was by electrocution, and the second by lethal injection.

Those in favor of this state-sponsored killing might just change their minds.

Yeah, but schools run "Scared Straight" programs all the time as a deterrent. So seemingly the same rationale would apply to the death penalty as a deterrent as well.

This makes as much sense assaying - since 90% of heroin addicts started on mother's milk, we should classify mother's milk as a gateway drug.

Hard to put myself in those shoes, but I suspect that violent public executions would cause the possibility of the death penalty to be more at the forefront of a would-be murderer's thought process.

Because you asked about me personally, I do have an anecdote that may or may not be relevant: I'm a visual learner, like most of us. I can't remember why, but I have seen videos of what happens when a nose is punched upwards into the brain. Obviously, bad things happen. I was jumped on the street a few years back, and when I was thinking about what to do, the images from that video flashed through my mind. I didn't punch the guy in the face because of my fear I'd kill him and have to deal with the fallout on my conscience and career. I may have had the same response had I not seen the video, but the image of what could happened was seared into my memory and, thus, my ongoing thought process.

I think watching heads roll could have a similar impact.
You can definitely kill a person with blunt force trauma to their face, but the nose bone(s) cannot be punched into the brain, that is a kung fu movie myth, despite whatever video you saw. The nasal bones aren't thick enough to withstand the upward force and puncture the crista galli and cribiform plate. The nasal bone structure simply just disintegrates under such force, though a punch capable of doing so would likely cause a concussion/brain swelling and traumatic damage to the neck, which could result in death.

Your first thought when getting jumped on the street was "if I punch this guy in the nose I might kill him?"

Interesting.

I posted this before when someone said they are scared about killing someone with their fists of steel.

-I like that the OP thinks so highly of himself that his hands are assumed to be deadly weapons, not fists like most people and not the rare occurrence where a single punch accidentally kills someone. A study looked at one punch incidences and found of all the fights that happened, they don't have numbers for this but assume a ton, that only 90 people died of a one punch assault in 12 years. So roughly 8 people a year of all fist fights that occured, the OP could have been one of those people because he is so deadly

as a physician this shit boggles my mind. I'm not an anesthesiologist but even I could rattle off a little cocktail right now that would kill people no problem. The issue must be dosing because given in a high enough dose propofol alone will kill you (ask Michael Jackson). Honestly this is stupid. These states need to consult an anesthesiologist and get it right.

I think the issue is not knowing how to make the cocktail, it is getting the right drugs to make it. Many of the pharmacies that sell these types of drugs (they have a name but don't recall) are refusing to sell them for use in execution.

You guys owe it to yourselves to watch an execution. I've had two clients put to death in my 35-year career, and watched them both die. One was by electrocution, and the second by lethal injection.

In your opinion, which method was worse for your client? Which was worse for the viewer?

:eek:

That's absolute crap. The DP has never been a deterrent and never will be.

Life without parole in a supermax is a worse and much cheaper punishment.

It's a deterrent for me.

Back