• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Kill the Death Penalty

that's really too bad, and that would explain all these ridiculous, amateur hr executions.
Is it too bad? It speaks to the moral ambiguity surrounding advocating the death penalty, IMO. If nobody wants to participate in it, then - political pandering and posturing aside - doesn't that suggest that it's, at the very least, a problematic institution?

Is it too bad? It speaks to the moral ambiguity surrounding advocating the death penalty, IMO. If nobody wants to participate in it, then - political pandering and posturing aside - doesn't that suggest that it's, at the very least, a problematic institution?

all good points i essentially agree with, just wish it didn't have to be so ugly to effect change.

It appears they simply ordered the wrong drug? So after the Lockett issue linked above and a total review of their protocol, they still accidentally ordered the wrong drug. Absolutely ridiculous

It appears they simply ordered the wrong drug? So after the Lockett issue linked above and a total review of their protocol, they still accidentally ordered the wrong drug. Absolutely ridiculous

It's not that they ordered the wrong drug. Their supplier, without asking the DOC, substituted a different drug in the order because it theoretically has the same effects and they didn't have any potassium chloride on hand.

The big problem for Oklahoma here is that they represented to Glossip's counsel and more importantly, Federal Court, that they had obtained the drugs back in August. But now they are saying that the drugs weren't delivered until the morning of the execution - so basically they were lying when they said they obtained them.

That's ridiculous. The couple of articles I read on it made it sound like it was a mistake that they got that drug.

Missouri man’s death sentence commuted after wife’s murderer says he acted alone

Orthell Wilson, who had said Edwards hired him to kill Cantrell, has recently recanted his statement, telling a reporter that he had acted alone, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

Edwards confessed to the crime, but said at his trial and ever since that he was innocent, the newspaper said. His lawyers say Edwards had a form of autism that could have made him vulnerable to aggressive interrogation techniques, and led to a false confession, the newspaper said.

Edit: more info

Missouri governor spares death row inmate three days before execution

Kimber Edwards’ impending execution had been contentious for other reasons. He was convicted and sentenced to death by an all-white jury after prosecutors for St Louis County had struck all three potential black jurors from the jury pool.

One of those African Americans was rejected by prosecutors under a ruse dubbed the “Postman’s Gambit” whereby people who have worked for the postal service are deemed unsuitable for sitting on a jury. The St Louis County prosecutors’ office has denied any racial motivation behind striking postal workers, though defense lawyers have pointed out that most employees for the postal service in the county are black.

In 1986 the US Supreme Court ruled that it is unconstitutional to strike potential jurors from the pool on grounds of race.

Last edited:
A Death Sentence in Mississippi: Do Prosecutors Care More About a Conviction Than Executing the Right Person?

The extremely few—about one defendant a year—who do take cases to trial face tough odds. The clerk of the county's court system, Phyllis Stanford, told me that, in her ten years on the job, a Union County jury has not delivered a single not-guilty verdict. "Who actually takes a case to trial in New Albany?" Fleitas said. "You're either off your rocker or really innocent."

During jury selection, Hood had struck the only two potential black jurors, and the all-white jury that heard Howell's case was impressed by Hood's performance. "It was like you were part of it," one juror, an elderly woman who could remember almost nothing else of the case, told me of Hood's vivid presentation

Around the time Hood assumed office, for instance, new evidence emerged in the capital case of Michelle Byrom, who had been condemned to die for the 1999 murder of her abusive husband. It turned out that a judge had allegedly hidden confessions to the murder by Byrom's son. Despite this information, which pointed strongly to Byrom's innocence, Hood's office argued against even holding a hearing to examine the new evidence and, instead, asked the state to execute her immediately. This past June, after making a plea deal, Byrom walked free after 16 years on Mississippi's death row.

It pisses me off that the conversation has focused on the drugs involved an not, you know, just not killing people.

It pisses me off that the conversation has focused on the drugs involved an not, you know, just not killing people.

It's liberals using backhanded tactics to undermine legal death penalty much like conservatives use backhanded tactics to undermine legal abortions.

Awful analogy.

I thought it was pretty apt. What's awful about it? Both are legal procedures that a passionate minority finds abhorrent, but in lieu of trying to outlaw the procedures they use tactics to just make it really hard to execute (no pun intended) the procedures. Similar strategy, different sides

I guess. I'd like to think liberals aren't just making things up and/or being intentionally misleading like Fiorina or most of the right w.r.t. Planned Parenthood.

I think there are also plenty of people who just want abortions or the death penalty banned and don't bother with the "backhanded" stuff. Indeed the majority of activists, I'd argue.

I'm not talking about the outright lying. I'm talking about conservative legislation about the who can perform abortions, what is required before the abortion (i.e. ultrasounds), when the abortion can be performed, etc.

I thought it was pretty apt. What's awful about it? Both are legal procedures that a passionate minority finds abhorrent, but in lieu of trying to outlaw the procedures they use tactics to just make it really hard to execute (no pun intended) the procedures. Similar strategy, different sides

It's a terrible analogy.

Oklahoma has a state law that requires them to notify the prisoner in advance about which drugs they are going to use in the execution. By using the wrong drug, they therefore didn't follow their own law.

That should be a problem for everybody, not just death penalty opponents. And it clearly is a problem for Oklahoma as their pro-death penalty governor and AG have stopped all executions until they are confident that the state won't continue to fuck them up

The Governor of Oklahoma just said yeah we f'd up.

Back